• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Annoying Type Weaknesses

Blue Monarch

Lonely Heart
Okay. Here goes. Some objections people have brought up and my ridiculous answers to them:

Ice vs Dragon: Dragons have a new name now since the 1840s... we call them dinosaurs (terrible lizards). Dinosaurs died right before the Ice Age.

Normal / Ghost relationship: Ghosts are "spirits" in this sense, so they are intangible to normal attacks and anything physical (well, should, except you can Peck a Ghost). Conversely, Ghosts on the other dimension cannot use their raw forme to do anything to a being in this plane of existence. Likewise, this explains why Ghosts would be very effective against their own realm. Again, that's the only logical thing I can come up with, but it does not explain why physical attacks that shouldn't touch ghosts do touch ghosts at all. However, I think this was what Gamefreak was trying to convey.

Fighting vs Dark: Dark is considered evil or something vile, I presume. Fighting seems to be allied with the "Hero" classification, meaning they fight the darkness. Look at Lucario and Aura Sphere, for instance.

More to come... I don't have time now.

Last edited:

PsychicPsycho

I've always thought it was weird that steel is weak to fighting but not water. If you think about it, if you punch something metal you'll hurt your hand, while metal will often rust when wet. It should be water is super effective and fighting is not very effective.

Not a weakness, but I've always thought ice should be resistant to grass.

...well have YOU ever tried to punch a fly?
Yes, actually. Well, slap I guess. And I do mean out of the air. The difficulty comes in the striking. If the bug is help still, smashing it is easy.
That's a pretty good explanation for it actually. Good idea! I do wish Psychic had more strengths though...
Yeah, me too. Seems like it should be strong against poison, at least.

Edit: thanks for removing all those perscription posts

Last edited:

iron535

Okay. Here goes. Some objections people have brought up and my ridiculous answers to them:

Ice vs Dragon: Dragons have a new name now since the 1840s... we call them dinosaurs (terrible lizards). Dinosaurs died right before the Ice Age.

Normal / Ghost relationship: Ghosts are "spirits" in this sense, so they are intangible to normal attacks and anything physical (well, should, except you can Peck a Ghost). Conversely, Ghosts on the other dimension cannot use their raw forme to do anything to a being in this plane of existence. Likewise, this explains why Ghosts would be very effective against their own realm. Again, that's the only logical thing I can come up with, but it does not explain why physical attacks that shouldn't touch ghosts do touch ghosts at all. However, I think this was what Gamefreak was trying to convey.

Fighting vs Dark: Dark is considered evil or something vile, I presume. Fighting seems to be allied with the "Hero" classification, meaning they fight the darkness. Look at Lucario and Aura Sphere, for instance.

More to come... I don't have time now.

Actually dinosaurs died out 63 million years before the ice age happened... so... it has nothing to do with that. xD
I like what someone said beforehand about dragons being cold-blooded. Like a lizard, they become slow, lethargic and virtually unable to fight if they become too cold-- which translates to ice types being super effective on dragon-types.

Swagga09

steel should be weak to water
ghosts should be able to resist psychic moves
ghosts should be immune to all physical moves (but I know this would make ghosts overpowered)
ground and rock should be the same type
ice types should be able to resist grass and flying types
steel types should be weak agaisnt poision
normal types should NOT be immune to ghosts
fire types should have a freeze status immunity

Last edited:

JamesRaynor

Basically immunity from anything, seems silly for example that a ghost is immune to Hyper/Destruction beam. Or that poison jabs have absolutely no effect on something made of steel or what have you. Or why dark is immune to psychic, that's really odd.

coolminun

Banned
Why aren't fighting types weak to poison? The more they fight, the quicker the poison spreads throughout their body and takes them down from the inside. Also, why is grass resistant to electric when lightning can cause a forest fire? I'm not saying it should be super effective, but at least hit neutrally. Normals should also have a type disadvantage to psychics since they are basically fighting types without the super effective hits on anything.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Why is Fighting super effective on Normal?

Is it because it is a guy on steroids against a weak normal dude?

Because a trained fighter would be stronger than an untrained fighter. And as for why steel isn't weak to water it is because in order for steel to rust it would need to be expose to water and air.

thaBlob

< He no liek mudkipz

EnvyTheirGreed

Just keep swimming~
Because a trained fighter would be stronger than an untrained fighter. And as for why steel isn't weak to water it is because in order for steel to rust it would need to be expose to water and air.

It takes time for things to rust too.

Maybe they should reconsider some of the type match ups.
I think it's unfair for normal pokemon to be left out of being super effective.

PokeMEN

PokeMEN Master
Another way to describe why flying is weak to rock is that if you throw a rock at a bird, if you hit it's likely to come down.

But water should be weak to ice, because you can freeze water.

that would definaetly make a lot of sense

Budew

Banned
I've always thought it was weird that steel is weak to fighting but not water. If you think about it, if you punch something metal you'll hurt your hand, while metal will often rust when wet. It should be water is super effective and fighting is not very effective.

Not a weakness, but I've always thought ice should be resistant to grass.

Yes, actually. Well, slap I guess. And I do mean out of the air. The difficulty comes in the striking. If the bug is help still, smashing it is easy.
Yeah, me too. Seems like it should be strong against poison, at least.

Edit: thanks for removing all those perscription posts

Punching would be considered normal

SUPER punches would be considered fighting

You can't break rock or steel with a normal punch
With a super punch you can, in this case fighting

so yeah :p