• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Another One Gabites The Dust! (582)

uber gon

Accept Change
Why the heck would Yanmega's Spped Boost be considered "legendary"? Famous or unique sound a lot more adequate than legendary.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Wow, I loved watching this episode. Think Ill need to go watch it again. And Im very suprised they dubbed Urara as Ursula. It fits as well, so props to you S.Suikun for speculating that. ;)

Man, I really wish Ursula can appear in another episode. Her attitude was somethin', but it's excellent.

TogeticTheRuler

Why can't Wormadam be that good in the games, I really do I hope she comes back. She is what Dawn's current rivals should've been. I also like how shes still reluctant in congradulating her after her win since the whole "I dont like you, but you won against me so that means I will happily celebrate your victory" thing would've ruined her. She's a great reminder of Harley :D

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
That Battle Frontier theme caught me by surprise. I can't be the only one that's taking the Battle Frontier song playing as a hint toward the Johto stuff everyone's speculating about.

The only reason it played was because the Japanese Battle Frontier opening was played in the original version. They just played it to match.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Well...I wasn't particularly content with today's episode:-/

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't go gaga over this episode like everyone else seems to be.

Someone else could answer this for me; but did Skitty KO Dusclops; or was it a points-thing like this episode?

Either way the episode reminded me heavily of Skitty vs. Dusclops. In my opinion Pachirisu should not have won. It's barely used. Half to most of its attacks are Electric (Spark & Discharge...does it know Charge?). The only damaging attack it could use would be Super Fang. However, props to Dawn for not being a n00b, and try to use said Electric attacks on Gabite. Very clever to deflect Stone Edge with Electricity...at least she's developing more.

I think if they wanted to make it a more reasonable win, she should have used Sweet Kiss more; and at that point it should have hit once or twice. There's no grace at all in stumbling about and hitting yourself with your own attacks...unless of course you're a Spinda.

As for Ursula, I think we found our new Harley. She'll be a perfect rival for Dawn. I really hope she makes the GF.

Last edited:

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
This sure was an exciting episode; it had plenty of cool contest performances and an exciting battle at the end. Now that Dawn has four ribbons she only needs one more for the Grand Festival! But now she's got a rival in her way, and that might make it just a little harder.

Rebeccag

Good episode. Ursula reminded me of Harley esp the bit when Pachrisu wouldnt accept her poffins reminded me of the bit when May insulted harleys cookies
I liked Bunerys appeal it was cute and Jessie did apretty good appeal as well. i wish we would have seen her and Dawn in the final but it was scripted that it was Urusula and Dawn to meet
Mamoswime made me laugh as well espically when it just fell asleep all the time with a pompon on its head lol.

This episode was a bit more exciting than the previous ones...
I was surprised they used the Battle Frontier theme, They edited out "Battle Frontier" in the song. It wouldn't fit the theme anyway... Because that's not where we are.
Ursula deserved losing because she's such a prick, and I think Jesse might never win a contest again... Even if she got better.
The Battle Frontier thing made me sing along. Hehehe

raz1337

Miju Miju!
The only reason it played was because the Japanese Battle Frontier opening was played in the original version. They just played it to match.

Well, erm...yes. But, there's the fact that everything we get is adapted from Japan. HGSS comes from Japan. The 13th season comes from Japan. So, if the BF theme played in this episode, there's still the possibility for it to be taken as anything, given that it was present in the original.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
As for Ursula, I think we found our new Harley. She'll be a perfect rival for Dawn. I really hope she makes the GF.

I second this. Ursula would make a great compeditor in the Grand Festival. But if we can see her again in another contest before that, then a happy day for me. It would get me thinking her Gabite could evolve into Garchomp, off/onscreen; depends. And, we'd of course see more of her Pokemon on hand.

I like it when she said to Dawn at the end, "You wont get any comments from me, that's for sure. But, you did a good job I guess."

Lol wow, she said she wont give a comment, but saying Dawn did a good job broke that statement. :p

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
pokémon contest! Akebi convention!

it's time for the akebi pokémon contest and dawn is eager to earn her fourth ribbon. While there, dawn meets another co-ordinator who appears to be very cocky. Ending up in battle against her in the contest, dawn faces one of her toughest battles yet against the co-ordinator's gabite. Can dawn win?

visit the episode guide

discuss

what the hell is with pachirisu?

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
The Poffins trigger a swine in heat! EVERYBODY HIT THE PAVEMENT!

Gabite: Let's attach a jet engine to Grovyle, bulk everything but the arms, and not worry about the repercussions of carrying so much weight at its core.

Let the anger flow through you Pachirisu...mama needs a new Charge Beam!

"Why doesn't she drop it?"
Congratulations, Ursula: You are now officially obsessive compulsive.

'Why don't you just ask me what it feels like to be a freak?'

Can't a lazy, good-for-nothing pig get any sleep around here?

Magcargo and Heat Wave aren't exactly synonymous...OH, I think it just spoiled Lava Plume.

Rock Blast/Stone Edge is the new Mud Bomb/Sludge Bomb, Energy Ball/Zap Canon.

Gabite VS Carnivine: The Chicken Scratch Wars.

Ursala came out ahead of Jessie ?_? The sand obscuring Wormadam is reminiscent of Ambipom. And the trainer not even involved in the performance? Double standards, these judges! Dawn sure loves being last one in though.

Gabite, the musical dinosaur. Doesn't have a ring to it. GET RID OF THE SEAL!

Super Fang cuts your contest points in half? Ouch.

And Jessie throws a second fit about losing..now!......Now? NOW?!

8/10 Boy, I'm raising this to an 8 simply because it gave me a lot to think about for a slightly above average contest. Not like last week, Phione only got raised to 6 because 9th Movie music always jukes the stats.

Ursula, formerly among worthless trainer rank and file, her Wallace Cup performance not even scorn-worthy, until she discovered the magic of fixating on Dawn. BAM! She has 3 ribbons! Can writers even try to dismiss the intensity of this rivalry as a one-shot? A girl so blindly arrogant, Jessie sided with Dawn, and Paul would get googly eyes. On the flipside, Gabite lost to one of Dawn's weakest; the one it didn't have a weakness to, instead immune to all attacks but Super Fang, just learned at the eleventh hour. How does a dragon who will NEVER EVER EVER evolve so long as it's below Dawn regain threat status? Then again, it lost because it went up as Ash did to Zoey: no combinations, ordinary attack blocks, and likely the same case in the WCup. But Gabite isn't about to be knocked out, or even about to take a hit! It could be a case of the trainer having to grow first before Gabite starts pushing past his limits, too bad Ursula has no mentor to crib contest tips off of.

Yanmega's having a dilemma: It's still not bringing enough diversity onto the table. Wing Attack/Steel Wing are the same, as do Sonicboom/Silver wind slightly vary. And now even Speed Boost is the new Jolly Rancher-flavored Quick Attack (also happens to be the flavor of the free 711 slurpee I got yesterday), but using any third move still kicks in rarely. It's fine when Cacnea (Pin MIssle/Needle Arm) or Carnivine (Bullet Seed/Vine Whip) do it, but how does a natural battler like Yanmega stand next to Seviper (Poison Tail/Wrap/Haze) and do justice to Dustox(Pin MIssle/Psybeam/Air Move)?

Finally...it's that time again, Architecture Chat in this show, it's been too long since that first Mismagius ep. When it comes to their styles, you can divide into Classical (smoothed stone structure usually white, pillars and domes, pulled off well most times) the Homey things (living places w/ a lot of wood, terrible in excess, best in Japanese style) and the modern industrial, paste links onto the address bar as always. Modern industrial is the one with the least consistency, they either go at it alone and produce these oddly colored, rather unrealistic, not-good-enough structures as evident in the last contest; then apparently an industrial designer gets hired for a month and we get intricate work, high effort designs, rather visible irl, even a last episode's split-second pool house(did he/they not get enough work?). They stemmed beyond just buildings too this time, adding features to the appeal backdrop(as seen in the style convention, but never in a contest, though Solaceon did a good job with the back wall)which is one of the few time an appeal's background isn't ignored, and the meaningless backstage rooms stylized with a bunch of lines, improving the intolerable coloring and aesthetics from the WCup, nonexistent in the last contest, that one just tiled everything. As far as I know from tracking their work, they don't serve any animation team or director in particular, and can appear under any of them. Whoever they are, they've been sticking around to design for more than 2/3 episodes this time. Once they leave, there's no telling if it's 20 or 30 episodes until the next time.

Last edited:

ActionMan

The unseen presence
Don't fret. I'm sure we'll see Ursala again. There are just too many allusions in this episode for her not to.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
Ursula is a very arrogant person, and she has a Gabite, which means a b***h. Horrid Pokemon for a horrid woman. I hope she gets whacked by Jessie at least once.

I thought this episode was okay. I kinda liked the battle near the end compared to the rest of the episode. What really caught me off-guard was the Battle Frontier music when they were skimming through the contest to get to the final match. :]

Ursala's laugh annoyed the living luvdisc out of me. I found the episode appealing to my eyes of wonder and amazement. I really thought Jessie was well put out on the stage with the whole "Oh my Buizel, I am just a magical graceful as a Beautifly!" right? Mamoswine is nocturnal and doesn't seem to enjoy contests, yet the pom pom on his head could be one reason why, a mockery. About time Dawn has her hair in a pony tail for once, the pigtails are sometimes just wanting me to...dissemble the Bunnery fluff.

uber gon

Accept Change
Somehow I can see why Mamoswine did not initially take to contests immediately.