• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Another Shot At It

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Ok. I want to learn how to make a good, well-balanced team, and now that I've gotten some help from my friends, I think I have enough information to go on. I'll be posting EV's because I want to get better at it. I also hope that it doesn't come out like a sandstorm team like I've anticipated. Well, without further ado, we're off. Here it is:

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Ability: Pressure
255 atk/255 spd
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Aerial Ace

I chose Aerodactyl because my chosen theme is earth. It's also very fast and has high atk. As my friends have told me, a good team is one composed of a sweeper, a bulky sweeper, a mixed sweeper, a physical wall, and a special wall, or somehting along the lines of that. And the last slot is for whatever I might want to add. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace for STAB, Earthquake for Electric-types, and Dragon Claw for coverage.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Overgrow
252 HP/82 atk/176 def
-Curse
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Leech Seed

My tank. Decent atk, def and HP makes Torterra a god option because it's balanced. Curse to boost atk and def, Wood Hammer and Earthquake for STAB, and Stone Edge to hit Flying-types, or Leech Seed to heal.

Forretress @ Light Clay
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP/200 def/58 sp.def
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake

My mixed wall/dual-screener. I think I messed up the EV's but I think they've conveyed how I want to use Forretress. Reflect and Light Screen to help out my team defensively, Gyro Ball for STAB, and Earthquake is there because Steel-type moves have bad coverage.

Probopass @ Leftovers/Shuca Berry
Bold Nature
200 HP/58 def/252 sp.def
-Magnet Rise/Thunder Wave
-Earth Power
-Thunderbolt
-Power Gem/Thunder Wave

My special wall. This can come out if Forretress gets KO'ed. Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, Earth Power for coverage, Thunderbolt for Water-types, and Power Gem for STAB, or Thunder Wave to cripple foes though paralysis.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry/Leftovers
Naughty Nature
Ability: Sandstream
52 HP/16 atk/252 sp.atk/190 spd
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower

Not sure if the EV spread on this one is right either. I put this one my team to start a sandstorm brewing, so I guess this is a sandstorm team after all. Well, in a sense, this is a sandstorm team, but one that doesn't depend heavily on Sandstream. Substitute+Focus Punch=SubPunch combo; good, safe, and powerful. Dark Pulse for STAB, and Thunderbolt for Water-types, or Ice Beam for Ground-types, or Flamethrower for Grass-types.

Bonzong @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/90 atk/168 def
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Hypnosis/Explosion
-Trick Room

My physical wall. I hope I didn't mess up on the EV's, but I know, sadly, I already have. Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake for coverage, Hypnosis to put foes to sleep, or Explosion to demolish physical walls and most opposion tanks. Trick Room is there to speed up my team, because, as you can see, it is not very fast.

In conclusion, even though my team looks like it has many shared weaknesses, it does not. I was extra careful and I made sure that their weaknesses wouldn't overlap. Well, hope it was mediocre enough. Rate away.

[Ampharos]

They best be trollin
I assume Aerodacyl will be fighting until he dies, so that you could send out your TR pokemon and set that up for the rest of your pokemon.

I'd run explosion rather than Hypnosis on Bronzong, because I like exploding pokemon better than Hypnosis. If you can't recover HP, you might as well explode when you're dying.
Speaking of healing, if you wanted torterra to heal, then I'd run Giga Drain>Leech Seed.
Leech seed might be way better, but once your foe switches out, you're screwed and you'll have to spend another turn setting up.
But leech seed would give all your pokemon you switch to the healing. But it's still stopped when anything switches.
If you could stop your opponent from switching pokemon, then I'd run Leech seed.
You could even use Synthesis and get ~half your HP back, but again. Only for Torterra.

Forretress looks good for a pokemon not leading. Were it leading, I'd give it some arena hazards, but it's not.
You could run Rapid Spin if you want, or even Rock slide to care for the fire types.

CheapChap

DIDDY DONUTS!
Sandstorm team are pretty popular these days. Going to try one at the BT... now to the suggestions:

@Aerodacty: EV spread is standard, which is good for him. Actually, Aeordactyl could run Rock Slide over Stone Edge, for flinchax, but Stone Edge is fine for power. Also, Ice Fang > Dragon Claw.

@Torterra: You should definatly have some recovery moves there. Either Leech Seed or Synthesis. Your choice.

@Probobass: I don't like him IMHO, but he's good at special walling, specially in UU tier. You should run TWave > Power Gem, so you can cripple some sweepers.

A note on Bronzong. If you want to make good use of Trick Room, try giving your pokemons -Speed natures, also try using Bronzing not too late on the match.

Nice team overall. ^_^

Balmund

Lord of Silly Walks
comments in bold

Ok. I want to learn how to make a good, well-balanced team, and now that I've gotten some help from my friends, I think I have enough information to go on. I'll be posting EV's because I want to get better at it. I also hope that it doesn't come out like a sandstorm team like I've anticipated. Well, without further ado, we're off. Here it is:

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Ability: Pressure
255 atk/255 spd
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Aerial Ace

I chose Aerodactyl because my chosen theme is earth. It's also very fast and has high atk. As my friends have told me, a good team is one composed of a sweeper, a bulky sweeper, a mixed sweeper, a physical wall, and a special wall, or somehting along the lines of that. And the last slot is for whatever I might want to add. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace for STAB, Earthquake for Electric-types, and Dragon Claw for coverage.

Yup, fast and powerful. I like you fitting AA here because of the BT, as many a poke would likely screw you with DT otherwise. Other than that, I would consider swapping Dragon Claw for Ice Fang, as it hits its designated targets far harder (most dragons are 4x weak anyways) while still offering good coverage (Ice is such an awesome attacking type.

Itemwise, stick to CB.[/B]

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Overgrow
252 HP/82 atk/176 def
-Curse
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Leech Seed

My tank. Decent atk, def and HP makes Torterra a god option because it's balanced. Curse to boost atk and def, Wood Hammer and Earthquake for STAB, and Stone Edge to hit Flying-types, or Leech Seed to heal.

Since you're using Lefties, I have to ask, what Hp IVs are you using? Other than that, stick with Leech Seed. Most opponents do not switch out ingame and lefties by itself doesn't make up for damage recieved while cursing + recoil from WH. After a few Curses, you'd be owning stuff that resist your STABed attacks anyways.

Forretress @ Light Clay
Relaxed Nature
252 HP/200 def/58 sp.def
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake

My mixed wall/dual-screener. I think I messed up the EV's but I think they've conveyed how I want to use Forretress. Reflect and Light Screen to help out my team defensively, Gyro Ball for STAB, and Earthquake is there because Steel-type moves have bad coverage.

If you want Forry to be a mixed wall, I think you'd like this spread instead:

Relaxed
252 Hp/ 4 Def/ 252 Sdef

Assuming 31 IVs, you'd get: 354 Hp/ 348 Def/ 219 Sdef. With this makeup, you could probably drop Reflect for Explosion as his Def is already high enough. For a more balanced build, a Sassy Nature would yield 317 Def/ 240 Sdef which is as close as it gets and it's probably the better option for dual screening.

Probopass @ Leftovers/Shuca Berry
Bold Nature
200 HP/58 def/252 sp.def
-Magnet Rise/Thunder Wave
-Earth Power
-Thunderbolt
-Power Gem/Thunder Wave

My special wall. This can come out if Forretress gets KO'ed. Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, Earth Power for coverage, Thunderbolt for Water-types, and Power Gem for STAB, or Thunder Wave to cripple foes though paralysis.

You know, as a special wall, how about using Cradily instead? She also has monstruos defenses plus less obvious weaknesses.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry/Leftovers
Naughty Nature
Ability: Sandstream
52 HP/16 atk/252 sp.atk/190 spd
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Flamethrower

Not sure if the EV spread on this one is right either. I put this one my team to start a sandstorm brewing, so I guess this is a sandstorm team after all. Well, in a sense, this is a sandstorm team, but one that doesn't depend heavily on Sandstream. Substitute+Focus Punch=SubPunch combo; good, safe, and powerful. Dark Pulse for STAB, and Thunderbolt for Water-types, or Ice Beam for Ground-types, or Flamethrower for Grass-types.

Hmm, if you're subpunching, I don't think that many Spe is needed. Instead, how about just maxing out Hp and Satk? That way you get sturdy Subs plus hitting stuff hard on both ends of the spectrum. A Quiet nature is usually the standard on this set. Also, if I recall properly, Tbolt is mainly used to hit stuff like skarm and some bulky waters real hard, but I find IB hard to pass up (again, Ice is such an awesome attacking type).

Bonzong @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/90 atk/168 def
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Hypnosis/Explosion
-Trick Room

My physical wall. I hope I didn't mess up on the EV's, but I know, sadly, I already have. Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake for coverage, Hypnosis to put foes to sleep, or Explosion to demolish physical walls and most opposion tanks. Trick Room is there to speed up my team, because, as you can see, it is not very fast.

Trick Room's not a bad choice here. I'm kinda worried about Aero though.

In conclusion, even though my team looks like it has many shared weaknesses, it does not. I was extra careful and I made sure that their weaknesses wouldn't overlap. Well, hope it was mediocre enough. Rate away.

I'm kinda worried about that fact that you do not have a solid Fight resist, which is something TTar needs. In fact, I can already envision a MixApe tearing through more than half your team (not that it matters in-game). You may want to reconsider your walls? Other than that, I do see a lot of team synergy here and the individual sets are solid. Mediocre enough? Ya and a lot more than that really.

And here I thought you were just asking me how I make my teams... The outline I gave you is a little on the Offensive side, so if you're a better Defensive Player, I would suggest adding another wall. Oh, and you forgot my 'Crippling Lead' statement.

Anyway, to the actual team.

Dragon Claw gives Aerodactyl no new coverage. I would suggest switching it to Aqua Tail, if you have Platinum. It will help get coverage against Bulky Ground Types such as Hippowdon, Donphan, and Rhyperior. Aerial Ace has too low Base Power, unfortunatly. I would give it Fire Fang to 2HKO Forretress. Pursuit is an option if you enough prediction. I also wouldn't lead with this, but instead use it as a Revenge Killer, but this is a TR Team, so I guess this works.

Torterra Looks fine, but may I ask, what do the EVs accomplish?

If you want to use Forretress, I wouldn't suggest it as a Dual Screener. Even with Special Defense EVs, it won't be surviving more than two, and it's too slow to set both up then. I suppose since this is In-Game (I'm assuming, but you're posting EVs, so...) it isn't quite as much a problem, but still. If you want to use it, then fine, but I still wouldn't suggest it.

Probopass is fine, I would say Thunder Wave > Magnet Rise.

TyraniBoah's normal EVs are 252 HP / 52 Atk / 176 SpA / 28 Spe, but because you are using Trick Room, I would relocate the 28 Spe EVs to Atk, giving a final spread of 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpAtk.

TRZong's EVs are 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD.

If you are using a Theme Team, especially TR because it always only lasts 5 Turns, you need two starters. Also, because this is TR, make sure to give all of your Pokemon -Spe natures.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
For Zong, I'd use this set: Earthquake / Gyro Ball / Trick Room / Toxic. Here's a spread I am using on my TR team, and it works quite well: 244 HP / 116 SpD / 116 Atk / 32 Def. 244 EVs give him extra Leftovers recovery. 116 Atk OHKOes Heatran with EQ. 116 SpD allows you to survive MixApe's Overheat and any fire Attacks. The 32 Def EVs are filler, but they actually prevent a OHKO from Life Orbed Dragon Danced Outrages.

Last edited:

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Thank you, thank you, thank you sooo much! Actually, I posted those EV's on purpose. I referred to smogon and the other pokemon forum I check out at gamespot. I was considering Ice Fang>Dragon Claw, but I decided to stick with Dragon Claw, since it's only resisted by Steels. I also recognize that a nice, fast Fire-type pokemon might eat through half of my team. I meant Forretress to have more def, and for Torterra's EV spread, I don't really know what they accomplish. HP to have more HP, I guess, and atk and def to, um, have more atk and def. I don't really know if I'm overdoing it, or if I'm not investing enough EV's. Also, I don't think IV's matter in this situation. The EV spreads I use are all based around random IV's; I could make EV spreads around specific IV's, but since I couldn't care less about them, so, meh. I'll try, I will guarantee you that. Otherwise, this was meant for in-game. I chose these pokemon because I couldn't find any other alternatives, besides Empoleon and Swampert.

Balmund

Lord of Silly Walks
I meant Forretress to have more def, and for Torterra's EV spread, I don't really know what they accomplish. HP to have more HP, I guess, and atk and def to, um, have more atk and def. I don't really know if I'm overdoing it, or if I'm not investing enough EV's. Also, I don't think IV's matter in this situation. The EV spreads I use are all based around random IV's; I could make EV spreads around specific IV's, but since I couldn't care less about them, so, meh. I'll try, I will guarantee you that.

In fact, I too work with random IVs (too lazy to breed for good ones) and I don't really care for then unless I'm aiming for a specific magic number. This is the case however with Leftovers holding pokemon, as you'd normally strive to keep your hp divisable by 16 to maximize recovery and use the leftover EVs on something else. In the case of Torterra you'd be wanting to achieve 384 Hp (if IVs are anywere between 21-31), 368 (if 5-20), or 352 (if you wind up with the crappiest IVs possible). Now, there are only two instances were 252 EVs are needed to reach these numbers, and that is when your Hp IVs are either 21 (to reach 384) or 5 (to reach 368), otherwise, you may find yourself needing as little as 192 EVs to reach your desired stat, which would leave as much as 60 leftover EVs that don't really accomplish anything and could be better used somewhere else.

Ideally, my Curse set for Torterra would end up with a spread as follows:

212 Hp/ 44 Atk/ 252 Def, assuming 31 or 15 Hp IVs. You'll start off sturdy enough (305-339 Def) to set up a Curse, or even a Leech Seed without taking much damage. After your irst Curse, attack range will be between 353-397, which is scary when backed up by STABed Eearthquakes. As I already mentioned, your Hp and attack ratio will vary depending on your Hp IV.