• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Another X Team

Macroboom

Beyond Infinity
:655:
Delphox
Blaze
Modest
Moves:
-Flanethrower
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Grass Knot

;475;
Gallade
Steadfast
Adamant
Moves:
-Psycho Cut
-Close Combat
-Night Slash
-Rock Slide

;026;
Raichu
Static
Modest
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Nasty Plot
-Grass Knot
-Nuzzle/Focus Blast

:699:
Aurorus
Refrigerate
Modest
Moves:
-Ice Beam
-Ancient Power
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

:623:
Golurk
Mold Breaker/Iron Fist
Adamant
Moves:
-Shadow Punch
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Fly

;003;
Venusaur
Overgrow
Relaxed/Sassy
Moves:
-Energy Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Earthquake
-Sleep Powder

Last edited:

chap196

For Delphox
I would use Psyshock over Psychic to kill Special Wall. Also I would use Timid Nature instead of Modest Nature unless it has Choice Scarf as its item.

Hope this help

KillerDraco

On aurorus take advantage of refrigerate and maybe use round or hyper beam instead of psychic.

That's not actually a good idea. Hyper Beam sucks, period, even with the power boost from Refrigerate. It may be strong, but the recharge turn absolutely sucks, given it can allow the opponent to set up, allow them to revenge kill you with ease, and basically let them do anything and everything they want. The high power is nice, but the terrible downside means it absolutely shouldn't be used. There are very few circumstances where Hyper Beam is actually viable, and that's usually against the last Pokemon only, in which case you're carrying a move that's useless for 90% of the battle.

Round isn't worth it either considering that even with Refrigerate's boost, it's only as powerful as Ice Beam, but without the freeze chance. Unfortunately, Refrigerate is effectively a useless ability due to poor move options to take advantage of it. Aurorus really wishes it got access to Hyper Voice.

A better option to replace Psychic with would be Calm Mind. It boosts Aurorus' average special attack, while also boosting its special bulk to complement its high HP.

You can also consider Focus Blast over Nuzzle on Raichu. If you're going Nasty Plot, you want to maximize your coverage as much as possible, and Focus Blast will do that more than an untauntable paralysis move.

Sleep Powder is viable as the last move on Venusaur. Sleep is arguably the most powerful status effect in the game, and allows it to effectively shut down anything.

koosbane

master breeder
I was thinking about it and yeah its not worth it. I was actually gonna change my post. But for in game hyper beam isn't that bad.

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Actually, Hyper Beam can be very useful. You just have to remember that Hyper Beam should only be used if you are sure you can OHKO. The risk of not doing so is up to the trainer, but I don't think it is such a bad suggestion.
That's not actually a good idea. Hyper Beam sucks, period, even with the power boost from Refrigerate. It may be strong, but the recharge turn absolutely sucks, given it can allow the opponent to set up, allow them to revenge kill you with ease, and basically let them do anything and everything they want. The high power is nice, but the terrible downside means it absolutely shouldn't be used. There are very few circumstances where Hyper Beam is actually viable, and that's usually against the last Pokemon only, in which case you're carrying a move that's useless for 90% of the battle.

Round isn't worth it either considering that even with Refrigerate's boost, it's only as powerful as Ice Beam, but without the freeze chance. Unfortunately, Refrigerate is effectively a useless ability due to poor move options to take advantage of it. Aurorus really wishes it got access to Hyper Voice.

A better option to replace Psychic with would be Calm Mind. It boosts Aurorus' average special attack, while also boosting its special bulk to complement its high HP.

You can also consider Focus Blast over Nuzzle on Raichu. If you're going Nasty Plot, you want to maximize your coverage as much as possible, and Focus Blast will do that more than an untauntable paralysis move.

Sleep Powder is viable as the last move on Venusaur. Sleep is arguably the most powerful status effect in the game, and allows it to effectively shut down anything.

chap196

Actually, Hyper Beam can be very useful. You just have to remember that Hyper Beam should only be used if you are sure you can OHKO. The risk of not doing so is up to the trainer, but I don't think it is such a bad suggestion.

No, even if you are sure that you will KO your opponent Pokemon, the next opponent that your opponent sends out will be able to setup or KO it. Sure it can be used to finish off your opponent's last Pokemon right? But it still doesnt worth wasting a move slot for that, also if your opponent's last Pokemon has Focus Sash or Sturdy, you need to recharge and your Pokemon will probably get knock out. Your Pokemon just can't do anything after you use Hyper Beam, also 2 Ice Beam Is stronger than Hyper Beam anyway. It might work for in game because you can still switch out after using Hyper Beam, but you are force to switch out, so it still isn't good. Hyper Beam and other recharge move (Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon etc.) should never be use competitively or even in game.

Last edited:

koosbane

master breeder
Hyper beam would get a power increase from refrigerate so I don't think two ice beams would be more powerful. The point though is this is in game, not competitive or semi competitive. Its viable if one so chooses.

KillerDraco

Yes, one refrigerate Hyper Beam is more powerful than two ice beams. However, the difference is negligible (about an 8% difference in base power and a 6% increase in damage), while Ice Beams do have a chance to freeze, and don't have the horrible downside. If you want to use it, there's absolutely nothing stopping you. However, considering this is the Rate section, then yes, it's going to get negative rates due to the weaknesses that Hyper Beam carries. Saying it's "viable" because it's in-game is silly because if you get right down to it, anything is viable; yes, we know it can beat the generally low quality of in-game opponents, but at the same time, people can sweep the E4 with a team of Magikarp. This does not make 6 Magikarp a good choice just because it's viable in-game. And if you want to move up to the Battle Test, the Battle Maison, etc., then Hyper Beam does effectively become useless outside of the final blow due to the wasted turn.

tl;dr - Viable and useful are two totally different things.

chap196

Hyper beam would get a power increase from refrigerate so I don't think two ice beams would be more powerful. The point though is this is in game, not competitive or semi competitive. Its viable if one so chooses.

Silly me, how could I forgot that 1.3 attack boost from Refrigirate. That would give Hyper Beam around 292 Base Power after STAB + Refrigirate while 2 Ice Beam is around 270 Base Power after STAB. But still, the power different is not much and Ice Beam is a lot more realiable.