• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Antagonists Face-off - USHIJIMA WAKATOSHI WINS!

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Antagonist isn't always a villain. From Light's perspective, L is an antagonist getting in his way.

If Light can be considered an antagonist, which he often is due to his morally grey/villainous actions (on the basis of which I nominated him) then there is no way L counts as an antagonist as he is just opposing his ways all the time. Going by that you can at best call L an anti-hero but an antagonist is quite a stretch.

But this isn't my thread, so it's up to @shoz999 of course.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
If Light can be considered an antagonist, which he often is due to his morally grey/villainous actions (on the basis of which I nominated him) then there is no way L counts as an antagonist as he is just opposing his ways all the time. Going by that you can at best call L an anti-hero but an antagonist is quite a stretch.

But this isn't my thread, so it's up to @shoz999 of course.

Which part of 'antagonist is not always a villain' did you not get? Yes while it's common to usually see the main character as the protagonist and the villain as the antagonist who stands in the way, the definition of an antagonist simply means someone who gets in the protagonist's way. The intentions and goals of the antagonist are what further defines them as villains, anti-hero, etc. An example is Bakugo. He's definitely an antagonist for Izuku, but not a villain in the overall sense. Also, I actually disagree that Light is an antagonist. Villain or not, he's the main character so he's the protagonist.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Which part of 'antagonist is not always a villain' did you not get? Yes while it's common to usually see the main character as the protagonist and the villain as the antagonist who stands in the way, the definition of an antagonist simply means someone who gets in the protagonist's way. The intentions and goals of the antagonist are what further defines them as villains, anti-hero, etc. An example is Bakugo. He's definitely an antagonist for Izuku, but not a villain in the overall sense.

If we are going by that then Light shouldn't count as a nomination since he's the main character, so in that case I'll have to remove or replace him. But then again, your logic only works assuming that main character = protagonist all the time. What is the definition of the word protagonist, does it always seem to imply the main character? Or is it related with stuff like the morals and intentions of the main character as well?

Can Light actually be called a protagonist despite his morals and intentions? If so, then the logic L is the antagonist because he opposes the protagonist works. Otherwise....understandably not.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Yes, no matter what the morals of the protagonist are, or the nature of their actions, if the story is about, well, the character and their actions, then they are the protagonist.

If the protagonist is a villain and their goal is to rule the world, then yes, the hero trying to stop him would be the antagonist. If the protagonist is a side kick, then the person trying to stop him or his partner from doing whatever it is they're doing is an antagonist. If the protagonist is a someone trying to win the love of the one they're in love with, then a competing suitor trying to do the same would be an antagonist.

And since Light is the protagonist of Death Note as the story is about him and his quest to reform the world, then L is an antagonist because he's trying to stop him.

Tldr: I think L counts from my experience with stories in media and writing.

But, again, that's up to shoz to decide.

Genaller

Silver Soul
@shoz999 literally says in the original post that any foe who opposes the protagonist in some way counts as an antagonist. Light is the protagonist (a.k.a primary character) of Death Note hence L is the antagonist by default. There should be zero room for debate here.

Note: Protagonist has absolutely nothing to do with moral alignment. Protagonist =\= Hero and Antagonist =\= Villain.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
L is an antagonist. Antagonist is the one who opposes the protagonist, the main character. A villain is a character who performs evil deeds central to the plot. They are confused with each other but they aren't the same thing.

Another note @345ash-greninja, just realized you nominated Light who is a villain but is a protagonist. Can you please change it to someone that fits the definition above? I will have to remove him from the list otherwise. Same goes for anyone else when I thoroughly check the participants when Face-Off day nears.

shoz999

Was originally going for a battle royale style as most would expect for large nominees but... oh man. These are really good picks for antagonists. I'm tempted to do a traditional 1-on-1 face-off. Well I suppose I could extend the number to 3 or 4 to kill more time.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
@shoz999 Sure, I changed him to Chrollo Lucilfer from Hunter x Hunter, hope that works.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I guess I'll take it but someone already nominated Chrollo Lucilfer
Ok then scratch that, I changed it to Garou from One Punch Man now.

shoz999

Face-Off Rules
1) The Face-Off consists of three characters going up against each other for the first round.
2) After Round 1, it may resume in the 1 vs. 1 format.
3) Vote +1)
4) A total of 10 votes to win.
5) 1 hour cool down.

Round 1 - Match 1

tHEgt8p.png

Ridley (Metroid) vs. Neferpitou (Hunter x Hunter 2011) vs. Chrollo Lucilfer (Hunter x Hunter)

• Ridley: Behind the animalistic bloodshed is the exceedingly intelligent leader of the Space Pirates who started the complete genocide of Samus's Home Planet K-2L, leaving behind a traumatized Samus as the only survivor after she witnessed Ridley kill her parents and friends when she was only three. Ridley is the enemy Samus wants dead the most and yet always best death through robotics, phazon, cloning or regenerating his cells through the consumption of flesh, such as the corpse of Samus's mother.
  • Neferpitou: The firstborn of the Chimera Ant's Royal Guard, Neferpitou is a cruel and sadistic person responsible for the death of Gon's mentor & friend, Kite. However Neferpitou's loyalty to the king, Meruem, is the strongest to the point that Meruem puts his trust in Neferpitou the most, including placing his most cherished friend under Neferpitou's care, a duty Neferpitou takes seriously.
  • Chrollo Lucilfer: Founder and leader of the gang of thieves known as the Phantom Troupe, this observer of human nature welcomes death and has proven to be quite a dangerous opponent. Namely due to his ability to steal other people's abilities and that he is not above mass murder, showing not even a single drop of remorse to women and children as seen in the massacre against the Kurta clan.
Ridley: 0/10
Neferpitou: 0/10
Chrollo Lucilfer: 0/10

shoz999

Ridley: 1/10 +
Chrollo Lucilfer: 1/10

You know what I like most about Ridley? His theme music! Oh man! It's the kind of music that conceptualizes the sheer danger that is Ridley but also keeps you going. That your only goal is to beat the crap out of the sheer danger that is Ridley.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Ridley: 2/10 +

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
Ridley: 3/10 +

Agreed, Ridley's got excellent music.

Genaller