• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anti-Metagame Pokemon

The Jock

Banned
Title pretty much explains it all.

So, what Pokemon do you consider "Anti-Metagame" and why?

Do you use said Pokemon in your teams, if so, how have they fared?

EDIT: I originally intended this to apply to OU, but it's fine to discuss anti-metagame mons in other tiers as long as you specify.

Mamoswine. It 1-2HKOs pretty much the entire metagame on its own. Even Skarmory is 3HKOed by Icicle Crash (or whatever its called) and it has a 30% chance of being flinched! EQ + Icicle Crash hits pretty much everything bit it can always revenge kill stuff like Latios / Landorus / etc with Ice Shard.

Scarf Abomasnow was always fun. Much less useful than it was early B/W when Swift Swim and Excadrill were everywhere but its still kind of usable now.

Oh, if its other tiers..

Bulky Sitrus Berry Belly Drum Linoone. It sets up on so many Pokemon its shocking, and at +6 cleanly sweeps most RU teams. Throw a Dugtrio in to kill the Steel and Memento and you will win 3/4ths your RU matches without the use of your brain.

LinksOcarina

The true master
Honestly, Arena Trap Dugtrio is pretty anti-metagame too, considering it can be used as a revenge killer on everything except water-types. Plus with Hone Claws, it can now trap choiced pokemon that do little damage, build up attack, then sweep with the amount of speed it has.

Oh wut

Most sets of Infernape are anti-metagame imo, since it can kill top OU pokemon with his STABs

1. Tyranitar = Close Combat OHKOs even if Chople Berry I think
2. Scizor = infernape can survive a bullet punch and OHKOs with strong Fire attack
3. Ferrothorn = Overheat or Close Combat, can 2HKO in rain
4. Jirachi = Sword Dance Nape with Earthquake can destroy Jirachi with Flare Blitz or EQ
5. Skarmory = With some help of rocks to break Skarm's sturdy, Fire Blast or Overheat KOs
6. Forretress = Same as Scizor and Skarm

He also has Grass Knot, that can be useful against Gastrodon and Rotom-W

Aurath8

Trick Room Reuniclus. Ferrothorn is the only thing in OU that's slower than this thing, and that's severely dented by Focus Blast anyway. It completely trolls stall thanks to Magic Guard. It punches holes in balance teams and messes with HO teams lacking Scizor. If you're lucky with Focus Miss you can even take on the no.1 Psychic counter: Tyranitar and thanks to Psyshock, it takes on the ultimate special sweeper counter: Blissey. As long as Scizor isn't present, teams just will have to wait until Trick Room ends and they can Taunt it.

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Well heatran with a scarf was, as its took out most of the game's top threats.(though given heatran's usage one could argue it was at the very core of the metagame).

Quagsire/Gastrodon are probably the main ones now. Ferro still drops them, but they counter much of OU and are a complete stop to the most popular poke in competitive battling; Kyogre. (based off uber usage where players can choose from any pokemon they want.)

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Azumarel is pretty good at taking out OU threats. With a band it can take out Volcaroa, non-sash Cloyster (it can handle a +2 Rock Blast), and even Gliscor.

Whimsicott also makes a check to any boosting sweeper without priority not named Espeon and can really s**** an HO team if played right.

The Jock

Banned
To adress my own OP, I've found Tangrowth to be anti-metagame, it has the bulk to check a plethora of top threats and is quite far from the OU Tier, residing in RU. It is, however, the 27th most used Pokemon in Antar's "1337 Stats" [stats taken from players with a rating of 1337+], so obviously a good amount of the more skilled players have caught on.

Dark-Tyranitar

SAND VEIL HAX!!!
Oh wut

Most sets of Infernape are anti-metagame imo, since it can kill top OU pokemon with his STABs

1. Tyranitar = Close Combat OHKOs even if Chople Berry I think
2. Scizor = infernape can survive a bullet punch and OHKOs with strong Fire attack
3. Ferrothorn = Overheat or Close Combat, can 2HKO in rain
4. Jirachi = Sword Dance Nape with Earthquake can destroy Jirachi with Flare Blitz or EQ
5. Skarmory = With some help of rocks to break Skarm's sturdy, Fire Blast or Overheat KOs
6. Forretress = Same as Scizor and Skarm

He also has Grass Knot, that can be useful against Gastrodon and Rotom-W

grass knot doesnt do sh*t to rotom or gastro

Ilan

F.e.a.r pokemons those are pretty awesome anti-metagame although a cowardy choice for that..
aron can KO lot of pokemons in sandstorm (not rock/steel/ground types at least)
great thing against sweepers that set up (it can beat dragonite :) )

grass knot does nothing to rotom-W as he is pretty light.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Fly Golurk guys.

Nah on a more serious note, SpDef Tran with Roar and Deo-D (especially when used together with a weather disrupter, because they actually have really great synergy typewise and SpDef Tran + Physical Def Deo-D compliment each other really well). Also they're both pretty unexpected and make a solid stall core.

Weak to Bloo's Reuniclutch though.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Cloyster. It can come in on anything that uses physical moves,proceed to Shell Smash, and sweep unprepared teams. Its incredible base 180 defense allows it to take almost nothing from priority.

BGP_

Fly Golurk guys.

Nah on a more serious note, SpDef Tran with Roar and Deo-D (especially when used together with a weather disrupter, because they actually have really great synergy typewise and SpDef Tran + Physical Def Deo-D compliment each other really well). Also they're both pretty unexpected and make a solid stall core.

Weak to Bloo's Reuniclutch though.
Obviously, i mean come on guys as if fly already made sense on him xD
alright, im gonna be stupid because i feel really high or something right now and say ditto with silverpowder and his dw ability even though it isn't released yet because it's kinda hard to win MOST of the time if you're facing yourself and you've already been weakened 70% of the time. Here, i'll let you setup 3 shell smashes on cloyster, you kill me, i send out ditto, GG lol. Idk if you call that anti metagame, but it sure as hell beats most of the metagame especially the setup sweeper pokes xD. Oh, and he could always come in on an anti metagame poke, therefore making him anti metagame! lol

Zachmac

^Silver powder? Don't you mean quick powder? Silver powder is the one that boost bug-type moves....

BTW, ditto's special powders don't work after it transforms.
F.e.a.r pokemons those are pretty awesome anti-metagame although a cowardy choice for that..
Not really, with sand, multi-hit moves, spikes, toxic spikes, faster priority users, ghost types, substitute, ect.

Wondertomb is obviously the best one.