• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anti-Metagame Pokemon

I'd say Terrakion can be pretty anti-metagame at times, since it's got a set for just about anything. Double Dancer allows it to set up Swords Dance and run through stall, while also using Rock Polish to trample over frailer offensive teams. You can even run a single Dance move with a little extra coverage to specialize in destroying one particular type of team. Choice Scarf is my personal favorite set, since it allows him to outspeed Base 100s, Landorus, and the odd Meinshao at +1. It can also do tons of damage with its impressive Base 129 Atk stat and its powerful and very complimentary STABs, even without the Life Orb, and is probably the best answer to Volcarona in all of OU. Choice Band is at times the scariest of all its sets, since it is nearly uncounterable except by Nidoqueen and Golurk, a pair of Pokemon fairly rare to OU.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Scarf Landorus. nuff said.

Gamefreak

Focus Sash Calm Mind Alakazam is AMAZING right now. With Magic Guard it can switch into things, get a second life at attempting a sweep. It makes a great revenge killer considering it lives any hit with its Focus Sash. It can Calm Mind then bust through Chansey with Psycho Shock, since it only has Seismic Toss to damage Alakazam and Toxic doesn't really do anything. It has great speed, it outruns Scarfed Tyranitar (people are realizing how incredible it is,) great coverage and power. Imagine Calm Minding on the switch, then sweeping with an extra life. Not many other pokemon can boast to that.

LO Deoxys S. It is faster than most scarfers, has a great movepool, has more than enough power to sweep frail teams. It also has great suprise factor due to its multiple viable sets. It de-crowned Excadrill as the fastest standalone pokemon in the metagame, and doesn't lose to stuff like Gliscor and Skarmory. It is also very easy to lure and 2HKO Scizor with something like CB Haxorus, then have LO Deoxys S sweep the rest of their team.

Scarfed Tyranitar is great considering it can outrun Latios and Latias then Pursuit them. It also handles Nasty Plot Celebi very well. It catches Tornados off guard. It can sweep teams late game, unlike the slower sets. I haven't ever had a time when I used Scarfed Tyranitar, then wish it was any other set. It is really that good with the suprise factor. Revenges Lucario, Toxicroak, and I can go on.

SD Landorus/Terrakion are very good too. They destroy most stall teams, while being more than capable against faster teams. These two guys will be rising in play now that Excadrill got the kick. Very strong and provide solid resistences.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Crobat has a lot of anti-metagame potential, with a super-fast Haze, Hypnosis, Tailwind (HO, watch out), etc.

500th post!

reekjoa

G4Gnious
Houdoom to against Ferrothorn and Chandelure combie in Single Battle

Darquese

Ok i know it's not out yet and it's already been said (badly if i may say) but DW ditto with CHOICE SCARF the greatest revenge killer EVER!!!.

Zachmac

Ok i know it's not out yet and it's already been said (badly if i may say) but DW ditto with CHOICE SCARF the greatest revenge killer EVER!!!.
Not the greatest, what if you are fighting a wall, or an enemy choice scarfer, or something behind a sub? On top of which, an enemy will know what moves you have and predict which one you will use, and swap a pokemon that can take it. Let's say that you have it transform into DD gyrados, and they swap in Ferrothorn to absorb you stone edge.

Vandslaux

Not the greatest, what if you are fighting a wall, or an enemy choice scarfer, or something behind a sub? On top of which, an enemy will know what moves you have and predict which one you will use, and swap a pokemon that can take it. Let's say that you have it transform into DD gyrados, and they swap in Ferrothorn to absorb you stone edge.

Salac Berry too.

Soperman

The One and Only
In doubles and triples, Terrakion and Whimiscott. Totally anti-metagame with Beat Up and STAB Rock Slide

Zachmac

In doubles and triples, Terrakion and Whimiscott. Totally anti-metagame with Beat Up and STAB Rock Slide
They're the Excadril and T-tar of doubles...Just a little worse. If smogon ever made a complicated ban, I would want this to be one of them(though they never make double battle bans either).

Its not anti-metagame when its the most common strategy. Pack a Mach Puncher, or use Trick Room. Its not that hard to stop if you have a team built with Terracotta in mind.

Azumarill, her usage fell after SB Blaziken was banned, and not many people see this thing coming nowadays. Azumarill can check Excadrill (pre-ban), Volcarona, and Scarf Terrakion, just to name a few. However, she needs tremendous team support, and requires a lot of predictions that have cost me the game at times. Neverthelss, I still love this aqua rabbit.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person

That's not anti-metagame. That is basically one of the Drizzle + Swift Swims of double/triple.

The others are Slacking/Regigigas + Skill Swap (Archeops doesn't count because it's very frail and it's ability only hurts it at half health), and Blizzard Spam + Snow Warning.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I've found that Weavile can be pretty anti-meta in OU, where a lot teams have no physical wall other than Gliscor. It can OHKO Starmie, Celebi, Virizion, and most dragons. While Thundurus was OU, it was a great counter, and it still works great against Tornadus as long as it doesn't use Tailwind first.

I've found that Weavile can be pretty anti-meta in OU, where a lot teams have no physical wall other than Gliscor. It can OHKO Starmie, Celebi, Virizion, and most dragons. While Thundurus was OU, it was a great counter, and it still works great against Tornadus as long as it doesn't use Tailwind first.

I'm Weavile's #1 hater but I have to admit that its a decent SD sweeper.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defense
Swords Dance
Ice Shard
Night Slash
Low Kick

vs..

Tyranitar: Low Kick OHKOs and Scarftar is slower.
Rotom W: Takes 69.1% - 81.6% from +2 Night Slash.
Scizor: Decimates Weavile, though Low Kick does 39.1% - 46.1%.
Ferrothorn: +2 Low Kick easily OHKOs.
Dragonite: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs even through multiscale.
Politoed: Specs and sp def are OHKOed while some scarfers are outrun.
Gliscor: OHKOed by +2 Ice Shard no matter what.
Heatran: OHKOed by Low Kick after Stealth Rock, outruns Modest Scarf.
Jirachi: Sp def takes 69.3% - 81.7% from +2 Night Slash.
Latios: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs as does +0 Night Slash.
Skarmory: Beats you senseless unless you run Ice Punch, which 2HKOs at +2.
Reuniclus: OHKOed by +2 Night Slash.
Deoxys S: OHKOed by Night Slash, takes 72.2% - 85.1% from +2 Ice Shard.
Haxorus: OHKOed by +2 Ice Shard.
Ninetales: +2 Night Slash OHKOs 252 HP tales.
Conkledurr: yeah, no chance here unless its at around 45%, in which case +2 Shard KOs.
Celebi: +2 Night Slash OHKOs.
Forretress: +2 Low Kick 2HKOs so you win unless it runs Gyro Ball.
Terrakion: Low Kick OHKOs.
Gyarados: +1 Night Slash OHKOs after Stealth Rocks.
Gengar: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs after Stealth Rocks.
Starmie: Night Slash easily OHKOs.
Landorus: +0 Ice Shard OHKOs.
Jellicent: +2 Night Slash OHKOs.
Infernape: +2 Low Kick OHKOs, just be careful of Mach Punch.
Volcarona: +2 Night Slash OHKOs.
Tentacruel: Only max / max Tentacruel can survive +2 Night Slash after Stealth Rocks and it doesn't even OHKO back.
Gastrodon: +2 Night Slash OHKOs.
Magnezone: Low Kick OHKOs and you outrun the scarfer.
Espeon: Night Slash OHKOs.
Blissey: +2 Low Kick usually OHKOs after Stealth Rocks.
Salamence: +1 Ice Shard easily OHKOs.
Hydreigon: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs.
Breloom: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs.
Vaporeon: +2 Night Slash 2HKOs while Vaporeon can not OHKO back.
Latias: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs it after Stealth Rocks, +0 Night Slash also can OHKO after rocks.
Toxicroak: +2 Ice Shard does 74.6% - 87.9%.
Lucario: Low Kick easily OHKOs though Vacuum Wave OHKOs and Extremespeed does a ton.
Bronzong: Low Kick does 64.8% - 76.3% to the standard set. It needs Gyro Ball to KO back.
Virizion: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs.
Scrafty: +2 Low Kick OHKOs.
Venusaur: +2 Ice Shard OHKOs.
Metagross: +2 Night Slash does 61% - 72.5%.
Mienshao: +2 Ice SHard OHKOs.
Cloyster: +2 Low Kick OHKOs.
Swampert: +2 Night Slash 2HKOs and Swampert can't OHKO back without Hammer Arm.
Mew: +2 Night Slash OHKOs.

So basically pair Weavile with a Magnezone and find a way to Swords Dance and you should be able to sweep without much effort.

Zachmac

Hm...I like those calculations. I liked Weavile, but i always viewed it to be a revenge killer, and used brick break. I also never used it for it's ice typing.

I might try it sometimes.