• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anti-Metagame Pokemon

chikorita185

So iheard you liek?
Memento uxie with dual screen.
Never used it but it sounds like it could screw up a huge amount when pared with a dugtrio or other trapper

Gamefreak

Bumping this with 3 more anti metagame pokemon.

Spec'd Hydreigon is suprisingly really good. Unlike Spec'd Latios, people can't Pursuit it. That means you can play it much more aggresively than Latios. It also gets Flamethrower and Focus Blast. It resists dark which is pretty cool too. People usually expect Expert Belt and get nailed extremely hard by this. Works great with spikes from deoxys S.

Spec'd Kingdra is also extremely good right now. It can make short work out of rain teams with Swift Swim. It makes a great lead, checks Rotom W, checks Gyarados, checks Starmie, checks Volcarona, checks SD Scizor, and more. Works great with spikes. The suprise factor often leads to a suprise kill and Draco Meteor hits even steels extremely hard. Dragon/Water is still great coverage in BW OU, and you can use HP Fire for Ferrothorn. If used on a Rain team, Sniper is a great alternative because Swift Swim is illegal. Sniper allows you to crit Jirachi and Ferrothorn for OHKO's. When used on a Rain team it gets to abuse the water STAB much more, even 3HKOing Ferrothorn. Great with Jirachi or Dugtrio for team support.

Sigilyph is also really good too. Many teams are weak to it with the drop in Tyranitar usage. Most Rotom W lack Thunderbolt in favor of Volt Switch, which often means they need to Trick you to win. It gets Cosmic Power boosts at a frightening amount of the metagame. It spreads status to soften teams for an eventual sweep. It makes a great Scizor, Jirachi, and Tyranitar lure only for you to burn them. The metagame is also more physically inclined, which is good pickings for Sigilyph. More things to burn. It also destroys stall without CM Jirachi lol. You would be very suprised how easy it is to get +3 with it and start beating face.

Eranu™

Trick room reuniclus with calm mind shadow ball and focus blast.
Moves for perfect coverage and calm mind to boost, been swept a lot by this set.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
No one said Roserade? Gosh that thing is a beast in Weather. Techni Magical Leaf, Techni Weather Ball, Leaf Storm, -Insert filler 'cause movepool is rather shallow-. I run it on my Anti-Metagame team, and it's workin' pretty well.

There's also Abomasnow, who just wrecks late-game, with Wood Hammer and Blizzard.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Another great anti-metagame pokemon would be Rotom-H. Few people prefer it to its water-typed cousin, but its typing has great appeal. It blocks boltbeam, grass, fire, and ground easily, allowing it to counter entire sun teams including Venusaur, as well as threats like Azelf, Magnezone, Metagross, and Porygon-2. When the opponent switches out, hit the incoming foe with a Pain Split, and then Volt Switch out. Alternatively, just Volt Switch, or use Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp to spread status.

Gamefreak

Double Dance Haxorus is quite possibly my favorite pokemon right now. With its great pure dragon defensive typing, great STAB only resisted by steel types, two ways to boost, and 147 base attack. Against offense, you dragon dance. Against stall, you swords dance. After a Swords Dance, you 2HKO Skarmory. After a DD, you outrun most things. Scarf Rotom W doesn't beat you with HP Ice either. Also, it makes a great Scizor/Gliscor/Ferrothorn lure. If you know their best Haxorus check is one of those, Haxorus can lure and eliminate those after rocks. Even if Haxorus dies, the counter would be well out of commition for the rest of the match.

Zachmac

Spec'd Hydreigon is suprisingly really good. Unlike Spec'd Latios, people can't Pursuit it. That means you can play it much more aggresively than Latios. It also gets Flamethrower and Focus Blast. It resists dark which is pretty cool too. People usually expect Expert Belt and get nailed extremely hard by this. Works great with spikes from deoxys S.
No, the expert belt is actually pretty rare. People usually expect choice items, which is why the expert belt is so useful.

The expert belt is hardly ever seen on it, the only expert belt I've seen was the one on my own Hydreigon.
Entei might be good in OU. Flare blitz takes care of skarmory and ferrothorn, stone edge for dragonite and other flying types, and extreme speed for priority. It could work.
I wouldn't call it anti-metagame. It's walled by bulky waters, and most fire attacks can handle Skarmory and Ferrothorn, so that isn't anything special.

Entei is actually outclassed by Arcanine, to.
Another great anti-metagame pokemon would be Rotom-H. Few people prefer it to its water-typed cousin, but its typing has great appeal. It blocks boltbeam, grass, fire, and ground easily, allowing it to counter entire sun teams including Venusaur, as well as threats like Azelf, Magnezone, Metagross, and Porygon-2. When the opponent switches out, hit the incoming foe with a Pain Split, and then Volt Switch out. Alternatively, just Volt Switch, or use Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp to spread status.
But it has a rock weakness. Swapping out isn't always the best option.

Gamefreak

No, the expert belt is actually pretty rare. People usually expect choice items, which is why the expert belt is so useful.

The expert belt is hardly ever seen on it, the only expert belt I've seen was the one on my own Hydreigon.I wouldn't call it anti-metagame. It's walled by bulky waters, and most fire attacks can handle Skarmory and Ferrothorn, so that isn't anything special.

Entei is actually outclassed by Arcanine, to.But it has a rock weakness. Swapping out isn't always the best option.

Good players are usually very cautious around Hydreigon. They usually switch in a resist then double switch to make sure.

If they are choiced, they switch due to your resist making your double switch successful. If they are bait - you just played safe and didn't lose to an EB Hydreigon by pivoting out. It is how you are supposed to play against Hydreigon. Its foolish not to, considering there IS a lot of people using EB Hydreigon out of all the people actually using it. XD

Oh, and Sub DD Moxie Salamence is really cool too. It is bulky, fast, threatening, and it easily gets subs. It has great lefties recovery, Subs to scout for counters on stuff which can't touch you. It also hits extremely high speeds with a dragon dance. Imagine subbing on something which can't touch you, then they send in a random fodder, then you can outrun and kill it while maintaining your Sub and Moxie boost.

I mean, you can do this in two ways. You can use Jolly with 252Atk/6Def/252 Spe, or Adamant with 148HP/252Atk/108Spe. Both with Leftovers, and both with Dragon Claw/Substitute/Dragon Dance/Earthquake. The Adamant version is probably better. It outruns Scarf Latios after two Dragon Dances and has the very important immediate power.

Scarf Moxie Mence are also extremely threatening. Very great when it gets released. Scarf Outrage is a very fast revenge killer, with the potential to pick up more boosts. Great coverage too. Great resistences. Very strong.

Zachmac

As a dragon dancer, Salamence is probably better with intimidate, since that'll make Subs/DDs easier to get up. You also won't need the extra attack from moxie as much after you DD. Moxie might save you in some situations.

Moxie is better on the scarf version, after revenge killing a pokemon it's pretty much got an easy DD. Being locked in a move won't matter as much if it's using outrage. I'd say this one is probably it's best niche over Haxorus and Dragonite.
Good players are usually very cautious around Hydreigon. They usually switch in a resist then double switch to make sure.
Good players is different then most players, though.

Gamefreak

As a dragon dancer, Salamence is probably better with intimidate, since that'll make Subs/DDs easier to get up. You also won't need the extra attack from moxie as much after you DD. Moxie might save you in some situations.

Moxie is better on the scarf version, after revenge killing a pokemon it's pretty much got an easy DD. Being locked in a move won't matter as much if it's using outrage. I'd say this one is probably it's best niche over Haxorus and Dragonite.Good players is different then most players, though.

If the players aren't good, shouldn't you be beating them either way? No matter what set you run?

(Expert Belt is a great set though. Plays almost like Mixed Dragonite.)

Moxie has actually tested incredible for me. The attack boost with Adamant is so powerful. It lets me OHKO things like OTR Reuniclus at +2. It is also great since Dragon Claw isn't the strongest move in the world, and Earthquake can only hit Ferrothorn/Forretress for neutral. Intimidate is negligable when you are setting up on things like Gastrodon, Celebi, Tentacruel, and Toxic Politoed. Sun teams are at its mercy too. Sun teams are usually very dragon weak, especially with Sub to protect yourself from Venusaur. You do not need Intimidate to get a Sub against Sun. Did I mention how Moxie is needed for stallbreaking power without locking yourself?

The attack boost is also great when they have dual screens or if they fodder a pokemon. Mence is very unpredictable. It is already extremely good at forcing switches. There is a big difference from being +2 attack and +1 speed, and +1 attack and +1 speed. Just sub, dance up once or twice, and its literally gg if you have team support to break Skarmory/Scizor. (Use Magnezone or Heatran!)

LO Deoxys-S has impressed me a lot lately as a revenge killer/sweeper. I mean, that incredible speed and decent power really add up. With a Life Orb, Deoxys-S has stats equivalent to a Base 103 speed Pokemon with Base 138 offenses holding a Scarf, but all with the ability to switch moves. Imagine ScarfChomp from way back when with more speed, more power, the ability to switch moves, more powerful STAB, and a killer movepool. Deoxys-S has an attack for just about every occasion and can be tailored to check so many threats, it's not even funny.

I guess the main justification for Deoxys-S being anti-metagame is the fact that it can perform a variety of functions: set up hazards for a standard offense team, throw up Dual Screens for HO, or even sweep. Just as you get ready to fight a support Deoxys-S, you get slammed by the LO set.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Work Up + Subs Jolteon could be dangerous in rain. With Work Up Jolty can reach about +500 in Special Attack but it's Spikes weak.

Maybe Work Up Azumarill and Hone Claws Durant are pretty beast in rain.

After one Work Up Azumarill gets about 500 Atk and with Aqua Jet can sweep, it maybe walled by Skarm or Ferro.

Durant typing just like Scizor but it isn't gets Technician or Swords Dance. But with Hone Claws and it's ability Hustle may destroy unprepared team, and with Iron Head hax.

Zachmac

Maybe Work Up Azumarill and Hone Claws Durant are pretty beast in rain.
Azumarill is okay I guess, and Durant doesn't have the coverage to sweep that well.

I wouldn't call either "anti-metagame".

Wire

Banned
Mamoswine rapes sun
Virizion rapes sand and rain
Infernape rapes hail

I think I just found an antimetagame pokemon: Trick starmie
This guy has saved me so many times atm, for example, switch in something it can hurt badly, like any slower fire/dragon(w/icebeam)/ground/rock type and they will probably switch in to something that would resist any of its attaks such as ferrothorn, blissey or other mons like that, trick and rape. Everytime people see a starmie they asume it'd have LO or leftovers.
Other great option I've been using is Scarf terrakion, it's such a boss, difficult to wall and awesome revenge killer in almost any weather, also, its bulk is pretty decent (91/90/90) and with the scarf boost it can outspeed the mughty deoxys-s. Awesome late game sweeper.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Specs'd Chandelure maybe the anti-metagame.

With powerful STAB Overheat can sweeps. But poor on speed maybe a problem for Chandy.

Gamefreak

I think I just found an antimetagame pokemon: Trick starmie
This guy has saved me so many times atm, for example, switch in something it can hurt badly, like any slower fire/dragon(w/icebeam)/ground/rock type and they will probably switch in to something that would resist any of its attaks such as ferrothorn, blissey or other mons like that, trick and rape. Everytime people see a starmie they asume it'd have LO or leftovers.
Other great option I've been using is Scarf terrakion, it's such a boss, difficult to wall and awesome revenge killer in almost any weather, also, its bulk is pretty decent (91/90/90) and with the scarf boost it can outspeed the mughty deoxys-s. Awesome late game sweeper.

That was anti metagame in gen 4.

You could lead with it vs the standard stall team, and it is almost a guaranteed Trick against Blissey. A lot of stall teams lead with Heatran or Hippowdon. Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt 2HKO's like every possible lead too. So they need to chose between getting Stealth Rock up, or dealing with Starmie. A lot of leads also can't threaten Starmie very much. Earthquake + BP from Metagross does not beat Starmie for example, while Modest Surf should 2HKO.

People also don't have the balls to rock against lead Starmie, so you can use the predictability to your advantage.

That was anti metagame in gen 4.

You could lead with it vs the standard stall team, and it is almost a guaranteed Trick against Blissey. A lot of stall teams lead with Heatran or Hippowdon. Surf/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt 2HKO's like every possible lead too. So they need to chose between getting Stealth Rock up, or dealing with Starmie. A lot of leads also can't threaten Starmie very much. Earthquake + BP from Metagross does not beat Starmie for example, while Modest Surf should 2HKO.

People also don't have the balls to rock against lead Starmie, so you can use the predictability to your advantage.
Thanks for your opinion at starmie, it looks pretty "accurate" (yay google traductor)
And what do you think about scarf terrakion?

Thanks for your opinion at starmie, it looks pretty "accurate" (yay google traductor)
And what do you think about scarf terrakion?

Scarf Terrakion is the stuff. No questions asked. :cool:

Scarf Terrakion really is a great revenge killer, even a decent sweeper at times. With Base 129 Atk and excellent STABs with incredible coverage, he can do a lot of damage without even needing a boosting item. Therefore, he makes a great Scarf candidate. He has the ability to outspeed all common Scarfers and common Pokemon with +1 (and some with +2) speed boosts, while doing tons of damage to them. This makes him a nice check to things like Scarf Landorus and DD Salamence. Scarf Terrakion is also probably the best answer to QD Volcarona out there, even more so if Sandstorm happens to be up.