• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any body still playing these games?

Mr.FusRoDah

I couldn't get my Beyond the Sea route on SS from trading online unfortunately. But the good news is that I have it on HG.

bushie

I still play occasionally I've been thinking of restarting

Got a badge quest on the go (2 down) in my HG, and still need to box off the rest of SS and trade over before a reset (got side-tracked by soft resetting for Lugia). Best remakes ever.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I recently went back to my Heart Gold game, because I recalled never having completed it before. I think it was actually a Nuzlocke game I started, but got slaughtered on and stopped playing (thanks Whitney!). But my current team isn't that great, and I find grinding up levels so boring since the wild pokemon are all at such low levels. 4th Gym, level 15 pokemon in the wild. 7th gym, level 15 pokemon in the wild. It's pretty unbalanced, and worst of all Poliwrath can't learn Drain Punch which means my fighting type still has no fighting moves! I'm getting a bit stressed at it, I may end up putting it down and playing White instead.

Snivy18

I am actually starting to do Nuzlocke Heartgold. I'm also interested in doing Egglocke (it's a fairly new challenge, google it i guess) Pearl.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I still play SoulSilver.The walking Pokemon feature is awesome.I have no idea why B/W didn't have it.Johto is also my second favorite region,especially Routes 47 and 48.

Yoericfc

Yes I am!! Best pokemon game imo. I've had heartgold for several years now and I picked up soulsilver a couple of months ago, so I could finally complete my regional pokedex. But after 3/4 years I am still uncovering and discovering new stuff!!

Shabadoo

King of Mediocrity
Well seeing as I don't have X or Y and my game boy advance and DS are dead with no charger so I can't play emerald I'm stuck with gens 4 and 5. And good lord I'm not complaining because those are some of the best pokemon games out there. I'm actually picking up a houdour in my most recent playthrough right now because well....steel types take five years to kill without a fire or ground type and I chose todadile. Anyway gen four to the internet is kinda the gen that....happened. The talk of the town is still 3,5,and 6 and honestly 4 is my favourite. Platinum and Heart gold I play all the time and Lord I remember these games where all the rage in 3rd grade but that's another rant. These games deserve a hell of a lot more attention in my opinion but I guess the new things just...over shadow the old.

Kataphrut

I've been replaying Heart Gold recently and the following things about it are really grinding my gears:

* There are too many boring Pokemon. Every route is just a plethora of com-mons with maybe one cool unique guy who's only got a 5% chance of appearing.
* The fact that the game get harder as your team gets bigger. Instead of one team member hogging all the exp and getting overpowered, now you're trying to distribute it among six guys and falling short.
* Everything between Ecruteak and Blackthorn is too easy. Then there's a big difficulty spike when you get to Clair's gym. This mainly ties into my previous problem, where everyone on my team is underlevelled because they haven't had a challenging fight since Sudowoodo.
* Voltorb Flip doesn't work! Apparently this is a problem with copies of the game sold on eBay for some reason, so it's more my problem than anything else. It does mean I can't get any of the best prizes.

I think I've just been a bit spoiled by the newer games. There's still fun to be had with it, but I'm starting to miss the reusable TMs, the wide variety of awesome Pokemon and the Exp Share that affects your whole party.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I replayed Silver two months ago and Red 6 months ago. It wasn't my game, it was borrowed, but I tried recreating what I had back in the past and it was pretty great.

Yoericfc

Really? You like the exp share that levels you whole team? I hated it! It makes the whole game far to easy and I just get to use 1 pokemon allvthe time because they are all getting exp anyway. I also liked developing my pokemon against the wild pokemon. Gave me the ability to actually go and try to catch em all! Now battling trainers is enough..

Clovaria

I got SoulSilver a year ago and I've had so much fun playing around with it! I'm still training for the league because, as someone said earlier, training is pretty hard in HG and SS. In Victory Road, the Pokemon are level 30 or so! Platinum was my first game and after I breezed through the Elite Four and Champion with my level 70 Empoleon I really don't play it that much.

Blues OVO

Casual Trainer
I've been replaying Heart Gold recently and the following things about it are really grinding my gears:

* There are too many boring Pokemon. Every route is just a plethora of com-mons with maybe one cool unique guy who's only got a 5% chance of appearing.
* The fact that the game get harder as your team gets bigger. Instead of one team member hogging all the exp and getting overpowered, now you're trying to distribute it among six guys and falling short.
* Everything between Ecruteak and Blackthorn is too easy. Then there's a big difficulty spike when you get to Clair's gym. This mainly ties into my previous problem, where everyone on my team is underlevelled because they haven't had a challenging fight since Sudowoodo.
* Voltorb Flip doesn't work! Apparently this is a problem with copies of the game sold on eBay for some reason, so it's more my problem than anything else. It does mean I can't get any of the best prizes.

I think I've just been a bit spoiled by the newer games. There's still fun to be had with it, but I'm starting to miss the reusable TMs, the wide variety of awesome Pokemon and the Exp Share that affects your whole party.

Totally agree, especially with the point about Clair's gym being incredibly hard to beat after coasting through the rest, especially with Gyarados now added into the mix. That Kingdra is somehow an absolute tank. Yet for some reason I really like how underleveled everything is. If you want to make it really unforgiving try the E4 without any healing items, I reckon it's one of the hardest ones in any main series games (Ruby and Sapphire's are still insane IMO).
Some of the gyms i.e. Bugsy, Whitney, Morty are annoyingly difficult without items - breezing through 3 or 4 in a day just feels unfulfilling.

I still think replaying gen 2 and this remake is amazing - there's something so charming about Johto that keeps me coming back without ever getting sick of it.

And wow yes, Voltorb Flip is abysmal - you can't buy coins in 500's anymore right? If so, then that's annoying as the prizes are out of reach..

Rotom Router

Just Won't Stay Dead
I actually played through Diamond all the way through the E4 for the second time since I've completed the Dex. (Meaning I had to get rid of 400+ hours of play time and trapping 'Mons in the ranch forever ._.) It made me think that it and Pearl get way too much flak then they really deserve. Yeah they're painfully slow compared to the more recent ones but I quickly got used to it. Yeah I still prefer the Gen V games by a margin but it was better than people give it credit for. Also planning to replay HG eventually with a Rotom and a Finneon.

Blues OVO

Casual Trainer
I actually played through Diamond all the way through the E4 for the second time since I've completed the Dex. (Meaning I had to get rid of 400+ hours of play time and trapping 'Mons in the ranch forever ._.) It made me think that it and Pearl get way too much flak then they really deserve. Yeah they're painfully slow compared to the more recent ones but I quickly got used to it. Yeah I still prefer the Gen V games by a margin but it was better than people give it credit for. Also planning to replay HG eventually with a Rotom and a Finneon.

Would definitely agree, D/P is one that is very slow at the beginning and the selection's not so great early on leading to restricted party options. But if you stick with it, you definitely reap the benefits post-game. When it came out I remember thinking it was absolutely excellent but in retrospect I think later titles have outshone it, especially if you have replayed it a lot and are finding it hard to keep fresh in the starting hours.

It's pretty cool trading over stuff to HGSS from the get go - especially evolution stones. Sometimes waiting to get Espeon or Umbreon is too much, I need my fix of eeveelution stat!

Rotom1598

I am currently playing. I have completed the game but i sometimes open it again. I want to catch all obtainable pokemons within the 4rth generation games so I still play it? plus I really like the feuture in which our pokemon follows us around.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
I'm doing a challenge run on this, over on the 4th gen 'hit me with your best shot' thread. HG is still the best game going, no exceptions. I agree with there being no good training zones, the best one for gyms 5-7 is Route 47/48, and in Kanto, you're pretty much screwed, as everything's about level 5.