• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any body still playing these games?

Rotom1598

I recently went back to my Heart Gold game, because I recalled never having completed it before. I think it was actually a Nuzlocke game I started, but got slaughtered on and stopped playing (thanks Whitney!). But my current team isn't that great, and I find grinding up levels so boring since the wild pokemon are all at such low levels. 4th Gym, level 15 pokemon in the wild. 7th gym, level 15 pokemon in the wild. It's pretty unbalanced, and worst of all Poliwrath can't learn Drain Punch which means my fighting type still has no fighting moves! I'm getting a bit stressed at it, I may end up putting it down and playing White instead.

I'm doing a challenge run on this, over on the 4th gen 'hit me with your best shot' thread. HG is still the best game going, no exceptions. I agree with there being no good training zones, the best one for gyms 5-7 is Route 47/48, and in Kanto, you're pretty much screwed, as everything's about level 5.

I agree that there are no training spots throughout the game specially in Kanto but if u have completed the game it becomes a little easier to train your other pokemons which are at low levels as Mount silver contains pokemons upto level 40, firthermore the Gym Leader Rematches in Safron City and Elite fours are the only place for training. So If i want to evolve my pokemons to complete the pokedex I go to the Saffron Dojo to battle the gym leaders again and again.
I still think heartgold and soulsilver were very good games although they were boring at some parts.

I've been replaying Heart Gold recently and the following things about it are really grinding my gears:

* There are too many boring Pokemon. Every route is just a plethora of com-mons with maybe one cool unique guy who's only got a 5% chance of appearing.
* The fact that the game get harder as your team gets bigger. Instead of one team member hogging all the exp and getting overpowered, now you're trying to distribute it among six guys and falling short.
* Everything between Ecruteak and Blackthorn is too easy. Then there's a big difficulty spike when you get to Clair's gym. This mainly ties into my previous problem, where everyone on my team is underlevelled because they haven't had a challenging fight since Sudowoodo.
* Voltorb Flip doesn't work! Apparently this is a problem with copies of the game sold on eBay for some reason, so it's more my problem than anything else. It does mean I can't get any of the best prizes.

I think I've just been a bit spoiled by the newer games. There's still fun to be had with it, but I'm starting to miss the reusable TMs, the wide variety of awesome Pokemon and the Exp Share that affects your whole party.
MY Voltorb Flip worked just fine. Although some of the prizes are difficult to get as the mini game also gets difficult. Porygon is only available in the game through prizes by playing voltorb flip but is difficult so you can just trade it through platinum.

Last edited:

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
I still play fourth gen here and there i challenged myself to do a sole run with my starter and anything else that i managed to get. What i mean is like when i got to theleague my torterra was lv 70 and rest were around lv 30-40. Aaron was the hard oart but manged two just had to take out his pokemon one by one and switch out to heal torterra. Bertha way to easy with torterra. Flint well same thing with Aaron. Lucian well i just used torterra for this. Then Cynthia oh my gosh. I saved right before i challenged her and it took me about 3 times the spiritomb was the reason i lost first two times and also the togekiss on the second. SpiritTomb with the silver wind on torterra raising its stats all the time. Togekiss just walled my torterra but i did carry the stone edge but i just missed that every time on the 2nd try. Cynthia is still my Favourite Champion though.

Rotom1598

I opened my soulsilver. Lokked at the pokedex, listened to some cries in the pokedex. and then turned off the game. thats it :p :p
I am thinking to trade a bedlum with steven stone.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Did I mention that HG's my fave pokemon game? It's awesome, mainly down to the size of the map, and that none of the legendaries are rammed down your throat. They're a side-quest, which you can do whenever, and you aren't harassed about catching them much.

PikaSnap

Joan Ranger
Yes I still crack open my DS Lite to play my copy of Soul Silver every few months or so! ^-^

I love that the pokemon follow you around- it makes the game much more personal!
The Pokeathlon is fun to play- the master course is my favorite!
And I still hunt for shiny leafs when I'm bored ahah ;)
Johto is my favorite!

"It's a whole new world we live in,
Do-Do-Do, Do, Do-Do
It's a whole new way to see,
Do-Do-Do, Do, Do-Do
It's a whole new place, with a brand new attitude,
But you still 'Gotta catch 'em all!'
And be the best that you can be!
Pokemon Johto!!!

(bet you sang the tune to yourself when you read those lyrics, and now it is stuck in your head tehee)

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
Yes, I did sing the lyrics as I read them! It's still the best theme song, haha!

I'm playing this game for the first time now and I'm loving it! Super fun!

Saib0t21

I'm still currently playing them both HeartGold & SoulSilver,
I will still continue to play them even when I buy myself a 3DS, and buy both X & Y and Omega & Alpha.
It's just the thing I do buy both games. But... A.. it's what you do when you have been playing since Yellow.. LmFaO..

Nice to see people still play and talk about these two wonderful games still... (Hi Five)

Last edited:

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
I play all the time, and have just started a new save!

My first games ever were Silver and Crystal, so HGSS are very personal to me.

Tagi

I'm actually doing a competitive nuzlocke against a friend in HeartGold. Assuming we both make it to Red and beat him, we then battle each other using our team and the loser buys the winner w/e pokemerch they want as a prize.

XxPhoenixFlamexX

I actually just started a playthrough of HG about a week ago. I'm in Azalea Town right now; I am trying to beat Bugsy hehe.

minerswhocraft

Misty Come Back!
I'm still playing through this game now for the first time. I was kinda sad to see what happened to Kanto since the original games. Pokemon tower was taken over by a radio tower, and Safari Zone up and left to a new region! The whole region was also without power for a while too! It's like, Johto came into play and the people of Kanto left their region to fall apart, haha. Seeing the old fighting dojo empty as if abandoned was also sad to see, but of course it has a new use now.

It's cool to think about what has happened in the 3 years since Red's journey and it is very fun to see how things have changed. Still very shocking to find the ghost tower taken over by radio, haha. Where did they move all the dead pokemon to? Creepy thought...

Silentslither

11 year Pokefan
Still playing Yellow(GBC), Emerald(GBA), Pearl, SS, and Y. Going to transfer over pocket monsters from HG and start a new save soon. :)

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
I'm playing SS right now, and about to battle Bugsy! I play this game all the time and constantly make new saves to try out other teams. Crystal was my first ever Pokemon game so HGSS is sorta sacred to me.

MFlicK

Im currently doing a Nuzlock in HG when I get bored making teams and battling in Y. It's been a nice change of pace. Gold was my favorite pokemon game so it's a nice nostalgia trip.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I am. Am working on playing through HG and it's been a joy. Ran into a Bellsprout and caught her. Named her Gertie. Added her too my team as my Grass type, along side Treeko. Was in the middle of some training when I came across her.