• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

any coincidences in pokemon?

porygon69

one coincidence i had was when i was playing my sapphire version, and i was on my way to catch a skitty. i tried looking for it once, but i couldn't find it since it was so rare. one day i said i'm not going to stop til i find a skitty, and when i went to it's route, it was the very first pokemon that showed up. so what coincidences have you experienced?

I was looking for a wild Larvitar in LeafGreen, and I was so frustrated because I couldn't find one. I had been looking for days. I decided just to leave, and as I was exiting the canyon, a wild Larvitar appeared. I was like, "Woah. Lucky."

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
Coicidence. I was bored and playing my diamond version and I wanted something cool to happen and poof, a shiny Pikachu popped out. It's a Raichu now.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
These coincidences happen a lot when I play.

Yesterday, on Emerald, I was training my team. It was Gardevoir's turn, but Gardevoir only knows Confusion and Psychic for damage dealing attacks. I was training in Meteor Falls, where only Zubat and Solrock will appear. While Solrock is still pretty common (20% rate), I hadn't ran into a single one while I was training my Lairon, which can deal super effective damage to a Solrock. Gardevoir was incapable of this, as it only had Psychic attacks. Well, as soon as I begin training Gardevoir, I run into a Solrock after about five or six battles. I decide to run from it, since I was certain I couldn't kill it in one hit. Turns out, the next eight (yes, eight. I counted) Pokemon I run into would all be Solrock of varying levels. I ran from all of them until I got fed up and took one out with Psychic. It only took one hit, too. After that, I didn't run into a single Solrock.

Trainers in the battle tower tend to use recurring Pokemon, such as Grumpig with Magic Coat or Carnivine with Power Whip. Because of this, based on type effectiveness and power, I was once able to predict each successive attack the opponent would use for one entire battle, including random effects, such as hitting one's self in confusion. I also lost that battle. I didn't predict that I would lose when it began, but I was able to recite each turn, move for move.

Nearly all the time, when I say to myself "I hope x happens!", x will not happen, so what I do is I'll convince myself that I hope x does not happen. I don't just tell myself, I convince myself, and you know, pretty much all the time, x will happen. If it doesn't, I wont be disappointed because it will be what I wanted, even if it returns negative results.

Also, the obligatory "Pokemon Y never appears until I'm not looking for it" story.

KazMazter

Competitive
Herracross is a rare and hard-to-get Pokemon, and I spent all my time throughout D/P/Pt looking for one. I eventually had to play through my Fire Red and get to the Sevii Islands where they're common to catch. Then I had to migrate it and raise it from Level 17.

Then I headbutt a tree on Soul Silver and a Lv 46 Herracross falls out. T__T

...I caught that one too. Wasn't gonna let it go free after doing that to me.

Kai678

Umbreon Trainer
Once in Ruby, when I was in this cave, I was looking for a Nosepass but I kept on seeing Zubats. Eventually I got tired of it and as I was leaving the cave, a shiny Zubat pops up.

Alex Pt

Wicked
I was using the pokeradar to find a shiny swellow and got to a chain of 54 but then had to turn off because I ran out of max repels -_- when I turned it back on the first pokemon I saw wasn't just a swellow but it was shiny too. This was on a chain of 0. I couldn't believe my luck

Beaver

R U SRS?
A weird coincidence.
I was playing Pokémon Ruby. I had just told my sister how cool if would be if I ever found a shiny Pokémon. 2-3 wild Magikarps later, a shiny Magikarp appears.

And I caught it of course. My first shiny Pokémon ever. And it's now a pretty red Gyarados :D

Lord Scalgon

What title?
This happened twice when I was in the Sky Pillar in Sapphire.

I encountered a Pokemon, but I didn't look because I had to put down my GBA so I could use the bathroom. After I returned from the bathroom and picked up my GBA, a shiny Golbat appeared...and I was...surprised. I caught it without any problems whatsoever.

Two months later, I did the same exact thing...same location, same everything. This time, it was a shiny Altaria...and luckily, I had an extremely close call when I caught it (since Perish Song was in effect). Thank God I caught it just before the Perish Song count hit '0'.

(sadly, my friend killed my shiny Altaria by dropping his Ruby in a swimming pool...since then, I've never let anyone else acquire a shiny from me...unless it's cloned)

But seriously, don't try this method. It was all dumb luck. (at the same time, an odd coincidence, too)...why this happened twice in a row is anyone's guess...)

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
Almost every time I wonder about finding a shiny, I find one.

Although this doesn't happen when I try to do said thing on purpose...

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
Trainers in the battle tower tend to use recurring Pokemon, such as Grumpig with Magic Coat or Carnivine with Power Whip. Because of this, based on type effectiveness and power, I was once able to predict each successive attack the opponent would use for one entire battle, including random effects, such as hitting one's self in confusion. I also lost that battle. I didn't predict that I would lose when it began, but I was able to recite each turn, move for move.

Wow :eek: We have a psychic on Serebii

My coincidental event is also on shinies.
On Firered, i ran into a shiny Rattat on my first trip into the grass and my only option was to kill it (No way i was hoing to run) because i had no balls. I was so annoyed with myself.
Then on Pearl i'm thinking i better get some balls in case another shiny appears early on (thinking Rattata from FR) So i get some balls and a shiny Bidoof pops up XD Caught.

Mawile412

Problem
i was gonna catch a skitty and as soon as i got on the route.......wild skitty appeared!

Aviano

I dropped my balls
I was looking for a wild Larvitar in LeafGreen, and I was so frustrated because I couldn't find one. I had been looking for days. I decided just to leave, and as I was exiting the canyon, a wild Larvitar appeared. I was like, "Woah. Lucky."

You consider yourself lucky because you found a larvitar after spending DAYS looking for one?

Miaquamarine

Well one coincidence that has happened over and over in all of my games is that, say
I'm looking for a certain Pokemon. Super rare, shiny, PokeMansion, whatever.
I'll be looking for that one Pokemon FOREVER, and I eventually give up. Then I always happen to say something like,
"Okay you stupid (Pokemon), it sucks for you, 'cause I'm gonna leave now and never come back,
and you're gonna miss your only chance to have the best owner in the whole entire world...Etc."
Very next battle, it's that Pokemon. I swear to God it happens every time. XD​

thekingofgods

failing chainer
training shiny chinchou of mine poof shiny psyduck appeared i was like no god dang way! and i cougt it :)

Zeddokun

I was explaining shiny Pokemon to my cousin while he was playing Pearl. While I'm talking, he finds a shiny Girafarig. He also tells me he had found a shiny Zubat but didn't know what it was. Luckily, my cousin was veeeeeery generous and gave both of them to me!

In Emerald, I was trying to find and Oddish when I thought that it would awesome if I found a shiny as well. POOF! There's a shiny Lioone! ...And I forgot all about my Oddish! :)

I was in Iron Island, minding my own business, looking for the rumoured jirachi and poof a shiny graveller! I forgot about jirachi and i have forgotten him for a while now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was walking through steam cave in Sapphire hoping for a shiny and then nothing came out. I was dissapointed. I ran for a while afterwrds and i came to the route with all the ash. I take one step and poof a shiny Skarmory! I never actually caught that skarmory so i was even more dissapointed.

Last edited:

squeezcheese

Unlike almost every1 else this is bad coincidence.

It was my early days of Firered. I was a legendary hunter, and made sure I caught each one using my shiny charzard (I didn't even have to soft reset, it was just there when I started my first adventure). I had already caught zapdos and articuno, so moltres was next. It took a long time to get moltres down to low HP, and I finally caught it after using all of my pokeballs except my masterball which I was saving for mewtwo. Well, on my way out (no escape rope, silly me) a shiny geodude pops out. Being 10, I had only heard of shinies so I knew it was masterball time. And it was worth it.

yeminied

Herracross is a rare and hard-to-get Pokemon, and I spent all my time throughout D/P/Pt looking for one. I eventually had to play through my Fire Red and get to the Sevii Islands where they're common to catch. Then I had to migrate it and raise it from Level 17.

Then I headbutt a tree on Soul Silver and a Lv 46 Herracross falls out. T__T

...I caught that one too. Wasn't gonna let it go free after doing that to me.

Almost same thing happened to me, too.

I spent so long on Platinum looking for a Heracross, days, even.

I got fed up with it so I went onto my FireRed and defeated the Elite Four and Champ, went to Sevii Islands, caught one and was about to migrate it to Diamond to trade to Platinum when I check my honey tree and find a Heracross. That made me cross. Although the Heracross I caught did have the worst nature a Heracross could have so I wasn't too bummed out about it.