• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any Companion You'd Like As Main Character Again?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I would like Serena to be a main character in her own adventures, like in Hoenn as a sequel, that hasn't anything to do with Ash, potentially interacting with other Pokegirls such as May.

Slapstick-Olivia

I really think that with Serena her only purpose in the anime is to be shipping bait for shippers. That is really the only reason (or at least the main reason) why she has become the most popular female lead of the show. It doesn't really matter for her fans, if her battle skills doesn't really develop probably, it doesn't really matter, if she interacts with many people, it doesn't really matter, if she has much character development in general, heck, I think it doesn't even matter, if Serena would even need a reason, to be even in love with Ash (which we technically never actually explained probably). But as long as there is "shipping", fans will be happy with Serena.

But to be honest, this is for me at least, one of the main reasons, why I really do not want to see Serena return back to the anime. I'm personally not a shipper, and this whole shipping thing in Pokémon feels kinda more like a ratings trap, rather than a meaning full way ro further your story and characters. If Serena would return, we will just have another 100 of episodes where she jumps around Ash like a fangirl and nothing will ever happen. Pokémon is not made, for shipping and romance. Pokémon is a show like Darkwing Duck, or Spongebob or, The Loud House, a silly, lighthearted short fun for kids. Nothing more. Shipping has just no place in such an concept, if they never do anything meaningful with it.

If a character should return, it should be some one, that could tell their own story. Good candidates would be for me maybe Misty, Iris, Clemont, Kiawe, Sophocles and Lillie.

Bonnie and Max always felt more like comic reliefs, Brock was in the end more of a running gag, Mallow, Lana, Cilan and Tracy have just nothing to tell and with Dawn and May I feel that their stories have been already told.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Anyone really, long as it's not Max.
Not really sure who could work though.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I really think that with Serena her only purpose in the anime is to be shipping bait for shippers. That is really the only reason (or at least the main reason) why she has become the most popular female lead of the show. It doesn't really matter for her fans, if her battle skills doesn't really develop probably, it doesn't really matter, if she interacts with many people, it doesn't really matter, if she has much character development in general, heck, I think it doesn't even matter, if Serena would even need a reason, to be even love with Ash (which we technically never actually explained probably). But as long as there is "shipping", fans will be happy with Serena.

But to be honest, this is for me at least, one of the main reasons, why I really do not want to see Serena return back to the anime. I'm personally not a shipper, and this whole shipping thing in Pokémon feels kinda more like a ratings trap, rather than a meaning full way ro further your story and characters. If Serena would return, we will just have another 100 of episodes where she jumps around Ash like a fangirl and nothing will ever happen. Pokémon is not made, for shipping and romance. Pokémon is like a show like Darkwing Duck, or Spongebob or, The Loud House, a silly, lighthearted short fun for kids. Nothing more. Shipping has just no place in such an concept, if they never do anything meaningful with it.
I always thought Lillie is the most popular Pokegirl in the anime, for the Japanese audience anyways.

Yeah, Amourshipping is popular but I don't get along with those audiences in general, compared to the anti-Serena & anti-Amourshipping fans, despite me liking Serena, as I dealt with some of them before and they're very agressive and dependant of the producers/writers to have their ways. So I wouldn't look forward for her return just for the sake of the shipping.

I understand people are divided about her and have different tastes, but for me who made a headcanon about her Hoenn adventure, I see nonsense for the belief that nothing can be done to her outside of her relationship with Ash, except for the producers/writers because they wouldn't put efforts to make her interesting in her own.

Aquafinna

I always thought Lillie is the most popular Pokegirl in the anime, for the Japanese audience anyways.

Yeah, Amourshipping is popular but I don't get along with those audiences in general, compared to the anti-Serena & anti-Amourshipping fans, despite me liking Serena, as I dealt with some of them before and they're very agressive and dependant of the producers/writers to have their ways. So I wouldn't look forward for her return just for the sake of the shipping.

I understand people are divided about her and have different tastes, but for me who made a headcanon about her Hoenn adventure, I see nonsense for the belief that nothing can be done to her outside of her relationship with Ash, except for the producers/writers because they wouldn't put efforts to make her interesting in her own.
Yeah I’m pretty sure Lillie is more popular than Serena at this point or at least getting there. It helps that her game character was well received as well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Serena is based on an empty shell whose other option was making you feel like the Blue of the relationship.

Lillie is based on a very troubled girl whose mother was obsessed with aliens/intoxicated by aliens and treated her children like her personal Barbie dolls.

Of course Lillie was going to be the popular one.

Slapstick-Olivia

I see nonsense for the belief that nothing can be done to her outside of her relationship with Ash, except for the producers/writers because they wouldn't put efforts to make her interesting in her own.

In the end, you can do with every character more than just one thing. It just depends how they are written and if the writers allow the character to be more than just one trope. Take Brock and Mallow for example. Both of them could have been more, but the writers had in the end now real clue either what to do with them, or just do not wanted to spend time and effort into those characters.
Cloud Serena in the end be more than just a part of a relationship story? Sure, but also with her it really depended more on the writers (or actually the executive producers) in how far they want to go with her as a character.

DatsRight

I wouldn't have been particularly hopeful with Serena either, but then again I thought the same about Ash in XYZ, he was so one note and like a brick wall in terms of interactions and character chemistries and just driving a story in any way that wasn't battling or generic shonen heroics, and yet they fixed that ten fold in SM.

Slapstick-Olivia

XY was kinda like the Sonic 06 of the Pokémon anime. Try to be more adult and edgy and with the kids, but in the end just like with Sonic it felt so wrong and out of place that they went right back to the more lighthearted tone. It just suited the anime better. I'm glad that XY is over and we can get so much alive characters like Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Olivia and more.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
XY was kinda like the Sonic 06 of the Pokémon anime. Try to be more adult and edgy and with the kids, but in the end just like with Sonic it felt so wrong and out of place that they went right back to the more lighthearted tone. e just suited the anime better. I'm glad that XY is over and we can get so much alive character like Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Olivia and more.

At least we saw a woman kissing Sonic.

This anime couldn't even show us that. Ha ha.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Can we get Gary to come back as a companion? Missed the little brat and how he would show up with a group of girls.
I wondered how the fans would react if he interacted with Llima and brought his group of girls as well.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Dawn ane Tracey.
Both characters have have a room for development imo. While Dawn's return in BW wasn't good character development talking, I think it is not fair to assume she wouldn't make a great return when it comes down to development based off on 9 episodes. I also think Tracey deserves a second chance since his screemtime was so short. Him, Ash and Dawn would make a fabulous trio imo.

Slapstick-Olivia

At least we saw a woman kissing Sonic.

Correctly a young woman was kissing a dead animal. So that we could enjoy at the same time a bit of necrophilia and bestiality. This is the reason why I have no respect for the Sonic series. Always jumping from one trend to the next. Pokémon shouldn't go the same route. Just stick with the core elements that makes the anime so likable. And when it comes also to the companions, they should just focus on what could make them great.Not try to urn them into something they are not.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Correctly a young woman was kissing a dead animal. So that we could enjoy at the same time a bit of necrophilia and bestiality. This is the reason why I have no respect for the Sonic series. Always jumping from one trend to the next. Pokémon shouldn't go the same route. Just stick with the core elements that makes the anime so likable. And when it comes also to the companions, they should just focus on what could make them great.Not try to urn them into something they are not.
Ash, kiss dead Pikachu. We all have waited to see who you truly love.

Moonlight Starlight

Dawn ane Tracey.
Both characters have have a room for development imo. While Dawn's return in BW wasn't good character development talking, I think it is not fair to assume she wouldn't make a great return when it comes down to development based off on 9 episodes. I also think Tracey deserves a second chance since his screemtime was so short. Him, Ash and Dawn would make a fabulous trio imo.
Tracey would make since to travel with Ash in two regions getting more screentime and development too. Being in Hoenn with Ash along with May and Max and in Sinnoh Tracey and Dawn with Ash on DP. Brock was more fine being only in two generation region not being put on AG and DP. Just only in OS, Orange island ( they should kept him on there if Tracey wasn't put on there and Johto too. Johto brought a good ending for Brock for his finally. And this should have brought Tracey in during his debut in the next generation AG being Ash's next companion and in DP too. I would love to see him get a second journey with Ash getting more recognize.