• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any Companion You'd Like As Main Character Again?

Sword_Shield_Stan

Don't Height Greightness
Serena coming back for the Galar region would be nice.

Never gonna happen, but delusion never stopped fans before

D0fX1FXVYAEpaeU.jpg
please let this happen

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ok, I'm going to be the one who cheat and say Verity.

Really, she was a nice character and the whole thing of her being Cynthia's daughter had a lot of potential. I really wanted to see more of it. Sorrel too, though my ideal group would be quite crazy: Ash, Verity and Sawyer lol

Only logic I have is that she was a social outcast and had no friends till she met that reckless loser boy at the camp who so conveniently had a rag.

Ok, that might stray a bit on fanfic territory but...

The way I see, Serena always seemed like a girl who live a quielty, reserve life, in a "Classic Disney-Princess-y" way. Didn't have much friends around because her mom initially kept moving duo her Rhyhorn racing and then going to a smaller place to just make all the noise and attention go away.

Then summer camp came. Grace possibly put Serena there because she thought she'd enjoy some fun and could make some friends. Since Serena didn't want go, she couldn't make much friends (maybe not many girls around there?).

Afterwards, she got lost on forest. The girl who was mostly spoiled, pampered by her mother, who are used to a quiet and reserve life is now lost on wild. She is scared, a wild pokémon just jumped on her, she injuried her leg (or knee, or ankle, I really don't remember but it was on her leg lol) and she is all alone.

Then it came... A human face! Someone with a gentleman-ish attitude, speaking to her with a soft voice, conforting her, helping her deal with pain and just motivating her.

To add to that, said boy give her his hand, there was an accident hug where - considering how anime does stuff - Serena could feel the almost-Saintly kindness that boy transmited and then he just helped lead her to safety.

No wonder a girl like Serena would think she just found Prince Charming on Oak's Summer Camp of all places.

Flashforward to XY episode 1, Serena probably moving on, considering everything a vain dream or delusion. She was sick of her current quiet life, having to settle with just being Grace, the Rhyhorn Racer 2.0. Then, while watching TV out of boredom, she sees all the madness on Prism Tower. A rampaging pseudo-legendary just wreacking havok and a random trainer being the only one who seem to be doing something about it. So while watching all that drama until it reaches the climax: Garchomp is safe but a cute Pikachu is falling for his dead! But, wait! That trainer just jumped to sacrifice his life and save it! What a hero!

We reach the end where there's finally a close on that trainer face, his name is mentioned (or not, I don't remember) and then Serena sees.

It's that guy! From her childhood! Prince Charming came back to rescue her once again! She can't just skip Rhyhorn Racing! She can be free! And she can see him again!

A burst of feelings, Serena remembers everything. Ash's kindness. Tenderness. Attention. Thus she decided she has to see him again. I bet that had Clemont and Bonnie not be around, she'd attempt a confession. Though it'd fail, only the final episode Serena - after everything she's experience and learned - would be able to do that.

======================

Ok, that went longer and more melodramatic than I thought but long story short, I'd be more surprised if a girl like Serena not falling for Ash considering how she met him and how she got to see him again after so many years.

True although it would be interesting to see one of Ash's form rivals return as a traveling companion.

Sawyer.

I used to want Gary but nowadays, if I have to choose one former rival to be promoted to main character is Sawyer.

Gee, he should have never been a rival in the first place. Rather he should have been the companion. Maybe just have him replace Bonnie and Clemont after Ash won his fifth badge.

Serena coming back for the Galar region would be nice.

Never gonna happen, but delusion never stopped fans before

D0fX1FXVYAEpaeU.jpg

*Insert "Satoshi-sempai" joke here*

Anyway, I'd love to see Serena coming back. I feel like there's a lot more to be done with her character.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Unfortunately, Makoto and Souji are trapped in a better universe completely separated from the anime continuity.

I completly agree with the bolded part

Anyway, if we both agree that I Choose You is the SUPERIOR universe, why do you say "unfortunately"? :p Unless you meant that being in the better universe has the unfortunate side effect that we won't see them apart the movie, including the TV show?

Also, despite looking like her, Makoto's mother isn't Cynthia

Is this your headcanon or was there official word (aka producers, anime directors, etc) saying it isn't Cynthia?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Todd Snap. He's only had a few appearances in the anime and his most recent appearances in the Adventures manga as a supporting character is interesting but I'd like to see the Pokemon photographer star in his own episodes as the only main character.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’d also like to see Lillie again hopefully. Granted she didn’t have the most interesting battles, who knows what she could of done two generations ago. Unfortunately since XY the writers refuse to write female characters properly. I find her whole character compelling and it was an interesting touch to turn her from a runaway with an abusive mother to a rich girl with no worldly experience and an neglectful mother.

DatsRight

One valid reason to have an old companion return is to play on the 'fish out of water' arc that Ash is undergoing in SM. I mean I'd imagine the Alola companions would feel quite out of place if Galar was a more traditional region, and even more so if it followed its real life counterpart by being colder, drearier and more formal and cynical than the super relaxed and upbeat Alola Region.

If they bring ANY old characters back, I want them to play a little on them being placed in front of different and alien places and challenges and having to improvise like SM at least toyed with for Ash and TR. No point bringing them back just to do the Brock role with nothing but the same old shtick in a different backdrop, that's what worn down the aforementioned main characters in the first place (and no exposition-reliant 'Oh, it's harder in this region but they're so determined' crap, we're not stupid).

Last edited:

DatsRight

I’d also like to see Lillie again hopefully. Granted she didn’t have the most interesting battles, who knows what she could of done two generations ago. Unfortunately since XY the writers refuse to write female characters properly. I find her whole character compelling and it was an interesting touch to turn her from a runaway with an abusive mother to a rich girl with no worldly experience and an neglectful mother.

Lillie could work if they kept playing to her best points in terms of dynamics, eg. her 'little sister' chemistry with Ash, her intellectual but incredibly sheltered and not-very-street-smart personality, her nervous 'try hard' approach to almost any new challenge. Maintaining and developing on those in a new region with new challenges would hopefully maintain her presence in a second series, maybe more so than in SM at times. That she's not as experienced even at this late point in SM would also hopefully leave more potential for her to grow than say, third wheel companions like Brock, even if she doesn't get much of a main arc per se. She hopefully couldn't just be an exposition spouter.

EDIT: Whoops sorry for double post, meant to edit it in.

Barry Hernandez

Dawn and Brock and Cilan. Those are my picks

Kintaro

Banned
Can someone explain to me why people want Brock back again when he has 600+ eps of screentime in the anime and people were constantly complaining about his boring/repetitive returns during AG and DP? I mean I understand its now been 9 years since DP ended and we've had a long break from him, but you have like...600 eps of Brock,...doing next to nothing, to rewatch. All the other new male companions at least have different characters and dynamics in the show.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Can someone explain to me why people want Brock back again when he has 600+ eps of screentime in the anime and people were constantly complaining about his boring/repetitive returns during AG and DP? I mean I understand its now been 9 years since DP ended and we've had a long break from him, but you have like...600 eps of Brock,...doing next to nothing, to rewatch. All the other new male companions at least have different characters and dynamics in the show.
Nostalgia. It’s not that complicated.

Blood Red

【推しの子】

Maybe because some people didn't hate him?

Kintaro

Banned

But after 600 episodes? Isn’t that enough when he basically ran his course and was already just a background exposition character by late AG and into DP? Besides that his character arguably dragged down the group dynamics because every new male companion is designed to play off the current cast, whereas he did not after misty left

Blood Red

【推しの子】
But after 600 episodes? Isn’t that enough when he basically ran his course and was already just a background exposition character by late AG and into DP? Besides that his character arguably dragged down the group dynamics because every new male companion is designed to play off the current cast, whereas he did not after misty left

Ash is still the main character, and has been for a thousand episodes. Even then, there's people who say they'll drop the anime if his journey ends.

All of them besides Dawn maybe, she's the only one that feels like a complete character to me.
That's kind of the point to bring him back, the writes could have finally do sth with his goal, along with making him Ash's sparring partner like they did with Kiawe.

Though it's a shame they never really picked up Brock's "goal" from the games and he never showed any interest in fossils. Brock wandering around collecting fossils and exploring ruins would be much more interesting to see than his Breader/Doctor goal.