• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any Companion You'd Like As Main Character Again?

Kintaro

Banned
If they didn’t do much with Brock in 600 eps time they never will. DP could have worked with Ash and Dawn alone and Croagunk was the only redeeming aspect of Brock that series. His Pokémon were more interesting than he was when it used to be the other way around. Even for most of AG he wasn’t really needed, people just like how he rounded out the group back then as a group of 4.

Cilan, Clemont and Kiawe all prove Brock could have been replaced in half the time with some new male companion those sagas. The Gen 8 male will probably be good too.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Can someone explain to me why people want Brock back again when he has 600+ eps of screentime in the anime and people were constantly complaining about his boring/repetitive returns during AG and DP? I mean I understand its now been 9 years since DP ended and we've had a long break from him, but you have like...600 eps of Brock,...doing next to nothing, to rewatch. All the other new male companions at least have different characters and dynamics in the show.
Best third wheel.

Cilan was him but perfect and never into women. He was boring.

Clemont was as bland as a sheet of paper and only existed to make Ash look better in comparison to his own meekness.

And if Sophocles is meant to be the third wheel, he's even worse in that regard than Clemont.

Kintaro

Banned
Clemont bland? Clemont had the most amount of character development for a male companion, was constantly portrayed as trying to become stronger and less meek. His inventions in his focus episodes helped the city, and besides that he had fun interactions with Bonnie. He also had a lot of great battles in the series, I had forgotten how much a Clemont battled till i rewatched XY.

You sound to me like you missed the point of his character. Brock didn’t really have much personality after Johto/early Hoenn beyond his basic traits, flirting with girls or making exposition. Most episodes it feels like he’s not even there and you don’t notice his existence.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Best third wheel.

Cilan was him but perfect and never into women. He was boring.

Clemont was as bland as a sheet of paper and only existed to make Ash look better in comparison to his own meekness.

And if Sophocles is meant to be the third wheel, he's even worse in that regard than Clemont.
I didn't watch much of BW, but unlike other fans, I didn't get bothered much about Cilan's antics.

I found Clemont not as bland as Ash with his constant save the day antics from most XY episodes. I did enjoy Clemont creative inventions along how handy his Aipom arm can be.

I found Sophocles pretty toned down in terms of geeky dapartment. I see him using his "laptop" occassionally and using his Pokemons to run some kind of power generators which aren't really entertaining to watch imo. Not to mention they had to work with 6 members from the SM main cast.

Sure, Brock was cool at his time but after a while I just wanted to see someone new and fresh, which is why I really don't care about Ash after 7 generations.

Kintaro

Banned
Cilan was ok in small doses, I can understand why everyone wouldn’t like his over the top flamboyant personality, but I found him funny.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Clemont was good early on but later got stale and after the gym match (in which he wasn’t even that great in despite training for it), fell behind and the only notable thing after that was him losing his robot which got repaired later in the day. I get he also helped get details of Ash and Greninja’s bond too but even I found that kind of forgettable too. Tbh the best thing about Clemont was his Bunnelby who I actually did like a lot lol.

Kiawe however is cool imo with a great personality and a little sister that’s actually likable! And his Pokemon are all great with Charizard’s backstory with him being given to Kiawe from his grandfather, Marowak’s recklessness + his chemistry with Turtonator, and Turtonator’s big brother side. And we’re even getting his backstory soon! Would like to see him again any day! Others include Brock and Dawn. And Mallow because the best SM girl deserves better

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd like to see only Lillie.

Moonlight Starlight

I wish the writers make it up for Tracey too also. Don't forget about him. He deserve a second journey with Ash. He would had a better debut since AG and still travel in the Sinnoh region too if Brock wasn't token off from the OI and Tracey would showed up at a better time in the generation .

Kintaro

Banned
Clemont was good early on but later got stale and after the gym match (in which he wasn’t even that great in despite training for it), fell behind and the only notable thing after that was him losing his robot which got repaired later in the day.

Even after the Gym, that's completely wrong, Clemont got a lot of focus in the episode where they gave Bunnelby's backstory where he and Bonnie starred in the whole episode in flashback form, the episode where that girl with the Buneary wanted to marry him, he had a number of battles in various episodes and usually had good scenes in Bonnie-centric episodes or which his father. He did take a backseat, but that's largely because he switched roles with Serena from early XY, where Serena got little screentime at first and then increased. Bonnie remained consistent however.

Besides that since XY was only 140 episodes long, the saga didn't even go on long enough for a character to get stale over long periods of time. It's not like he spent hundreds of episodes doing nothing but background exposition like Brock became overtime.

Kiawe however is cool imo with a great personality and a little sister that’s actually likable.

Wut? Bonnie's not likeable? Kiawe's sister is nice too but she basically more or less is Bonnie 2.0.

DatsRight

EWut? Bonnie's not likeable? Kiawe's sister is nice too but she basically more or less is Bonnie 2.0.

I guess it's that Mimo doesn't appear enough to overstay her welcome. Bonnie sometimes got too obnoxious and tended to get off scot free, compared to Max, who was at least a butt monkey to balance out being a brat at times. I feel like Mimo could at least use a proper limelight episode though.

I feel like maybe the male companions could flourish better if they kept SM's chemistry heavy focus. Kiawe and Sophocles don't actually get a huge amount of individual focus, but their synergy with Ash keeps them relevant as supporting characters. Also SM tends to be better at giving non-battle agency to some companions, meaning you aren't necessarily screwed if you don't fight Team Rocket or go in tournaments. It did feel like Brock was meant to have the 'brains and brawn' dynamic with Ash like Lillie and Sophocles or early Clemont sometimes do, but the show hadn't quite worked out how to play on that when he was around. You either battled or stuck in the background, which isn't always the case anymore.

Kintaro

Banned
Kiawe's sister much like Lana's sisters are fine in small doses because they're basically there to be cute and not much more, which makes sense, they aren't main characters and they only appear every so often. Bonnie was written with the personality of a female lead just as a kid, and they gave her a number of episodes and developed her interactions with the main cast over the course of the saga. Even before the climax with Squishy/Zygarde, it amazed me they kept her relevant when she could have fell into the same problems as Max who the writers clearly ran out of things to do with early on. The Tyrantrum episode is one of the most emotional eps of XY, and Bonnie being brave and wanting to be a trainer, loving haunted houses (whereas Serena was scared of them), and edging her brother on was all good fun. There was also only one episode where Bonnie and Clemont fought, that filler with the two brothers, so Bonnie didn't have many episodes where she threw tantrums for no reason.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Kiawe's sister works because she's not obnoxiously annoying like Bonnie and the twin sisters, that and her relationship with her brother is the best family interaction we've had in years! It's a shame Kiawe's family barely appeared, all of them are interesting characters. Apart from Mallow's dad, I've never wanted to learn more about the other classmate's families, Soph and Lana's families are just.... boring. Nothing standout-ish about them at all

Kintaro

Banned
Kiawe's sister works because she's not obnoxiously annoying like Bonnie and the twin sisters, all

Bonnie barely had any annoying moments in the anime, and at the times she did, they were few and far inbetween. Bonnie was constantly written to be both a loving sister, but also upstanding and brave, had funny and cute moments, and the scene where she tries to maturely say goodbye to Tyrantrum instead of bawling crying for a kid her age shows how mature she could be. There's a reason Bonnie never got as much hatred as Max did during his run. Granted I didn't hate Max, but his character wasn't well received for a reason in comparison, Bonnie was always well received.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
One thing I don't like about Bonnie is that they had an episode dedicated to supposedly ending that gag with her putting up Clemont against another women wanting to marry them off only to keep continuing on doing it. What a waste!

(And her songs she sang to Squishy are stupid even if she's a little kid)

Kintaro

Banned
(And her songs she sang to Squishy are stupid even if she's a little kid)

Singing to squishy and then Zygarde is one of the top moments of the entire anime. Never expected to see that in Pokemon, it felt like it was from some other anime. Besides that, the only rather boring Bonnie episode was that Lapras filler with the 3 kids, but most other Bonnie episodes tended to be entertaining or memorable.

Screw Bonnie. She was your typical 7-year old lucky to be in the show, gasping and becoming a blushing mess with every cute Pokemon.

That's how she reacted for cuteness, but she had a personality beyond that showed in every episode. Without Bonnie XY wouldn't have been half as interesting to watch. Her facial expressions and reactions were hilarious in some episodes too.

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
That's how she reacted for cuteness, but she had a personality beyond that showed in every episode. Without Bonnie XY wouldn't have been half as interesting to watch. Her facial expressions and reactions were hilarious in some episodes too.
Not sure about XY not being half as enjoyable without her, but she definitely adds more to the show.

Kintaro

Banned
I can agree with that. XY has a lot of good moments and characters in Japanese, but Bonnie was treated as much a main character or more so than Serena or Clemont at times.

Whereas back in AG both Max and Brock were clearly treated as background characters compared to May and Ash.