• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any Companion You'd Like As Main Character Again?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Serena

axelme

i would love misty and brock to come back permanently. they are still the 2 best in my opinion.

the only other companions i would even consider coming back to be okay would be may

iris and cilan were just awful. easily the worst of any
dawn was okay but i still wouldnt want to see her again
clement and serena...no. clement i wouldnt mind but serena is right up there with cilan and iris as unwatchable for me

honestly i wouldnt mind of this generation brought one or more of the classmates into generation 8. like, maybe after competing in a league or seeing what else is out there from their trip to kanto some of the classmates gets inspired to travel. kiawe would obviously make the most sense but maybe also lilly or lana.

would never happen because i know that , since misty and brock companions are ditched for the new series but i wouldnt mind bringing some ot them over again

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Dawn's development is complete, there is nothing more she can gain by traveling with Ash. And that unfortunately applies to the majority of the companions.

Clemont and Bonnie are the only non-SM main characters who feel like they'd fit in, since they have big, bright personalities to make up for their lack of obvious motivation in chaperoning Ash. Unfortunately, any role they could provide is more or less compressed by Clemont's own son, Rotom.

I'd like to see Rotom become a permanent member of the cast like Wobbuffet because he neatly compresses a lot of prior roles, which allows other characters the opportunity to be unique. Rotom combines the exposition/analysis of info dumps like Brock and Cilian, with the wide-eyed naiivety and energy of child characters like Bonnie or BW Ash. He can also offer meta commentary as jokes which would otherwise be out of place coming from other characters.

Kintaro

Banned
Technically every old main characters development is "complete." I mean there's no real other place to take older characters. For example Misty has gotten far stronger as a Gym leader than when she was tagging with Ash, Brock was aimless on the cast for years and now he's a doctor, etc. Other supporting characters like Cilan, Bonnie/Clemont, etc, all did as much as the writers could do with them.

I do kinda wish the Contests were revisited in a set of specials especially now that Serena is doing them. They could technically still progress May and Dawn since they're the only other ones with active goals, but again it wouldn't be much more than them winning more ribbons or getting new pokemon.

victini8

I’d like to see May come back... permanently. But that's just my opinion though. But with my recent fan fiction series, I actually had someone else going to Alola, a new generation instead of letting Ash go to Alola.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I do kinda wish the Contests were revisited in a set of specials especially now that Serena is doing them. They could technically still progress May and Dawn since they're the only other ones with active goals, but again it wouldn't be much more than them winning more ribbons or getting new pokemon.
In my Serena fan project in which is about her post-XY adventure, she meets and potentially travels with a girl who is unfamiliar about the Pokemon world. You could make them a deeper adventure together than just having Serena participating into contests alone.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Technically every old main characters development is "complete." I mean there's no real other place to take older characters. For example Misty has gotten far stronger as a Gym leader than when she was tagging with Ash, Brock was aimless on the cast for years and now he's a doctor, etc. Other supporting characters like Cilan, Bonnie/Clemont, etc, all did as much as the writers could do with them.

The characters with poor motivation are easier to fit back in the cast, because their reasons for traveling with Ash aren't clearly tied with region-specific goals. That's why Dawn wouldn't work anymore - she's an experienced Coordinator who has already gone through her rookie year of triumphs and disappointments. The same has applied to Iris, with her Axew/Excadrill and Drayden plotlines resolved within Unova. A veteran isn't as interesting to watch as a scrappy rookie, and to reset Dawn would be unnatural...look at Ash.

Gym Leaders don't have to have specific goals to travel because they're already accomplished trainers, but their role in the cast as veterans is to provide personality, commentary, and information.

Given this, I think SM solved many major character questions of prior series by having a stationary setting. Now the cast could afford to have smaller-scale goals or no goals at all. They could show more consistent, believable interests and habits instead of relying on running jokes or being a connoisseur of everything like Cilian was.

Ironically...I think had Serena not kissed Ash, her development was poor enough, and motivation nebulous enough, she could have slotted back in fairly easily for a future series. But that kiss was a permanent step forward and she can never get a second chance at redemption.

Peter Harrison

Mostly Dawn. Since DP was the first series I watched and Dawn’s character was quite funny and had a well balanced Pokemon team.

SatoSereFan224888

To be honest, no former companion should return in Galar. If I had to choose one, it would be Serena. However I think it’s unlikely she will return in Galar. I feel though in Galar, there should be a new hero for the anime. It’s time for Ash to give up on becoming a Pokemon master and instead become a tutor for trainers starting out on journeys.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
To be honest, no former companion should return in Galar. If I had to choose one, it would be Serena. However I think it’s unlikely she will return in Galar. I feel though in Galar, there should be a new hero for the anime. It’s time for Ash to give up on becoming a Pokemon master and instead become a tutor for trainers starting out on journeys.
Lol you're going to be nuts if you believe Ash is going to retire as a main character in any future series. They either make him the main character of the show or kill it completely, no stuffs of him being a full-time tutor/father/mentor ever.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ignition said:
I’d want Kiawe to stay on the main cast. He’s my favorite companion and he’s the perfect blend of competent and easy going

He's a decent character, although I fear that if he stays beyond SM, he might become the next Takeshi in the sense that he might overstay his welcome if he hangs out with Satoshi for too long.

Dream Lad

Banned
Serena. Popular. Currently trying to gain life XP, which means the writers can thrust her into whatever Galar-specific activity they want to showcase. Get that easy ratings boost by sailing that ship further. Not to mention, she looks at home in those female PC outfits.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Xenon Blue said:
Just bring back Paul and I will happily be invested in this show again :) in other words I'm not getting invested in this show

I recall someone in the writing staff mentioning that they'd like to see him come back a few years ago, and I personally wouldn't be opposed to it since he was a really good rival unlike some of the newer ones that we've had.

Shuriken Throw

Dawn, she is easily the best developed Pokemon character, she from barely taking a loss to using it to do so much more,

Dawn is determined, confident, and works well in teams. And she is very kind and optimistic.
She's determined to do her best at almost everything and she teaches you to never give up.

Emelie

Bookworm
To be honest almost anybody could work since nobody succeeded at their goals. :p

I always wondered why the characters with clear goals aren't allowed to achieve their dreams? It's not like we are going to see them again with the exception of small cameos. Especially Serena and Iris who didn't even get cameos at all.

It kind of leaves you hanging...