• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any one annoyed that they had Gary become Goh’s rival?

BlueDragonfangirl

I wish they had given Goh a new rival, it just makes things unbearable for me to watch Mew projects.

I didn’t know if i should have put it in the other forums since the US is a bit behind and I didn’t know if I’d be spoiling it for them.

Any ways, any one else annoyed by this decision?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Not really

ShadowForce720

No, because it is now too see Gary again and looking at how Gary is a researcher and what Project Mew is, it does make sense that Gary would participate in it.

Rivals are not exclusive to one character even though they tend to get associated with that particular character.

Some of the reasons why we haven’t seen rivals in the past necessarily go from being the rival of one main character to another main character is because usually rivals don’t appear in series outside of their own with some exceptions and there goals doesn’t usually wind up with the other main characters goals.

If anything I think it’s pretty neat and a good idea and a good way to bring a old rival or character back if they fit the situation.

As it gives us more of a chance to see a type of dynamic that we might not normally see.

desdar300

Yes.
We could have seen Gary again without essentially giving go Ash's sloppy seconds.

He more or less just treats go the way that he used to treat Ash which is just really weird to me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Not particularly since Shigeru's rivalry with Satoshi had ended, so it made sense to give Shigeru a different rival. If the writers hadn't gone down this route with Gou and Shigeru having a rivalry of some sort, Shigeru probably wouldn't have appeared as often in this series.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Nope, the only ones annoyed would be Goh haters because they're mad goh 'got' something that was 'rightfully Ash's'
Ash-Gary rivalry ended on a good note and Gary was no longer a trainer, him coming back this way is excellent writing and a great way to involve him in the narrative without regressing him or abandoning storylines, while also giving Goh a great character to bounce out off and grow
All in all, great writing to have Gary as Goh's rival

AJ97

To be fair, I would argue Goh's and Gary's Rivalry in a way is similar to Ash's "Rivalry" with Leon. Granted not to the same magnitude, however, the show does heavily imply Gary far outclasses Goh in almost everything as it should be, given his experience.

Additionally, I don't really see Gary really seeing Goh as an actual rival atm. It's more of him doing Gary things to motivate Goh. Even in the case of Ash, while the latter always considered Gary a Rival that wasn't really the case for Gary. He always thought he was much superior to Ash and considered a tie with him a defeat (Something that an actual Rival wouldn't do). It was only after Ash beat him in the Silver Conference, was when Gary in a way acknowledged Ash as an equal.

Master Pikachu 11

No I think it’s good way for Gary to show up more in this series and since he is a researcher now there is no reason to continue his rivalry with Ash since he gave up being a trainer for competition

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I wouldn’t say that I’m annoyed by it, but it is definitely disappointing that the way they handle it is so similar to Ash and Gary’s old rivalry. They could’ve done something different with it, but instead it’s just the exact same rivalry again, just under different circumstances..

tsunamimijumaru

While it's cool to see Gary involved and appear more often and whatever. Considering they've included Tokio in PM and got the other two from today's episode reappearing in the next PM mission I don't see why they couldn't have been rivals.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Ash rivals are rivaling Goh(Gary, Kiawe) just like how the pokegirls are helping Koharu(Dawn, Serena)
The exceptions are Iris and possibly Paul

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Gary as Goh's 'rival' is fine. It is a totally different context so it doesn't diminish or tarnish his history with Ash in any way.

Yes.
We could have seen Gary again without essentially giving go Ash's sloppy seconds.

He more or less just treats go the way that he used to treat Ash which is just really weird to me.

Ash gained Gary's respect along the way. Goh hasn't earned his respect, so why would he treat him equally?

Sloppy seconds? Lol, Gary isn't even competing in trainer battles anymore. His past rivalry with Ash is completely irrelevant in this series.

In rival terms it's basically like AG:
- Goh=May
- Horace=Drew
- Liepard/Vikavolt-trainers=Harley
- Gary=ThatguyfromtheHoennGF/Soledad

desdar300

Gary as Goh's 'rival' is fine. It is a totally different context so it doesn't diminish or tarnish his history with Ash in any way.

Ash gained Gary's respect along the way. Goh hasn't earned his respect, so why would he treat him equally?

Sloppy seconds? Lol, Gary isn't even competing in trainer battles anymore. His past rivalry with Ash is completely irrelevant in this series.

- Goh=May
- Horace=Drew
The point is that they could have just given Gou new Rivals from the get-go.
Those two kids could have easily filled the role that Gary did while simultaneously being original.

It was never about how go would be treated by someone like Gary but rather that the latter should have been there to begin with

AJ97

- Goh=May
- Horace=Drew
Couldn't have said it better!
The Rival classification is almost spot on.
I guess Horace in a way is meant to be Goh's main rival, but I would argue he isn't that much better than Goh as Drew Initially was versus May.

Actually, the May and Drew rivalry was a lot more like Ash and Gary's.