• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Any team ideas?

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
I have always been obsessed with Pokemon (since Silver appeared under the Christmas tree one year), and now that I have acquired Platinum, I can safely say that I am obsessed. (132 hours of time logged in 50 days or so) But I need some expertise. I need a good team WITHOUT ubers (because they're cheap) and with fairly easily obtainable Pokemon (swarming + radar pokemon are okay, but no starters that I don't have or trade-to-evolves).

I'm thinking Tyranitar (got a Larvitar and will level it up), Flygon (yay, Flygon! raised it from a Trapinch), and Jumpluff (I have a teamful of Jumpluffs because I like them...) Any move tips would also be nice.

I have a Torterra and a (female!) Prinplup (love the GTS, I got it for a Shedinja) if you need to know what I started with.

Sorry if this just looks like a worthless wall 'o' text, but I would very much like it if somebody could help me out.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
So you want a team idea for the battle frontier? Or battling here? Or for starting a new game? Because i could give different tips depending.

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
So you want a team idea for the battle frontier? Or battling here? Or for starting a new game? Because i could give different tips depending.
I'd like a good multiplayer team, yes. I am NOT starting a new game.

Thanks for showing an interest in this thread - I was wondering if this would just go unnoticed.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
If you have Flygon, Tyranitar, and Jumpluff, there's a consistent weakness to ice type moves so you may want to get a fire type to take care of them, like maybe, Ninetales or Arcanine, (although neither of them learn much after evolution so you should train the vulpix or growlithe up until they learn the moves you want for them before evolving...) So, that makes Flygon, Tyranitar, Jumpluff, some fire-type, Prinplup which would be much more effective evolved to eliminate the weakness to grass types, among other thins, and that leaves one slot for a party of six, assuming that's what you're looking for...?

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
If you have Flygon, Tyranitar, and Jumpluff, there's a consistent weakness to ice type moves so you may want to get a fire type to take care of them, like maybe, Ninetales or Arcanine, (although neither of them learn much after evolution so you should train the vulpix or growlithe up until they learn the moves you want for them before evolving...) So, that makes Flygon, Tyranitar, Jumpluff, some fire-type, Prinplup which would be much more effective evolved to eliminate the weakness to grass types, among other thins, and that leaves one slot for a party of six, assuming that's what you're looking for...?
Yes! Thank you. Oh, and the Prinplup was a GTS trade, I got it at level 1.

If you want a Shiny Eevee, once I saw one on the GTS. But they wanted a Mew for it... :(

Subject change: does anybody else like Drifloons, have too much time on their hands, and owns Photoshop? Because this is the result...
http://i34.*******.com/iwt193.jpg
http://i38.*******.com/122onrn_th.gif
http://i36.*******.com/8x0dwj_th.gif
http://i35.*******.com/144buax_th.gif
http://i37.*******.com/am5abd_th.jpg
http://i37.*******.com/2nr1nxh_th.gif
http://i33.*******.com/5tyv05_th.gif

Last edited:

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
Those drifloon are just weird... O.O Anyway... for the sixth slot, i would put in a strong electric type (Like Raichu, Luxray, Manectric, or Ampharos... that's one from each generation...) or a good psychic (Alakazam is a popular choice, especially for a special sweeper, but i like espeon just because it's my favorite pokemon! :D Espeon isn't too shabby either. Especially if you can get one from XD because then it knows bite which is a nice ghost-type counter if you can't get shadow ball.)

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
I have Ampharos. But Vulpix + Growlithe are unobtainable for me... :(

Either I go to the Wonderful Wizard of GTS or I find another Fire type.

Fire-type candidates: Flareon, Torkoal, Magcargo, Camerupt (but that makes me even more Water weak), or Magmortar (can somebody please trade me a Magmar with Magmarizer for my Magmar with a Magmarizer? My FC is 3610-0478-2489)

And for my sixth slot, I'm thinking either Shedinja or Dragonite.

Thanks for all the help!

Shuckle of Cloudy Sky

Stall Fest FTW
Well Flygon and Jumpluff take four times the damage from Ice, so you may want something that resists it and can fight back against ice types. Steel is a good type for this but fire works fine too. For Steel, Steelix might work but it has very little special defense. Scizor would also work but it's a trade to evolve so you may not want to try it (you can catch wild Steelix on Iron Island).
For fire, if you don't have Infernape then Magmortar is really the only good option, but it's a trade again so you might want to find something else. There are also Ninetales and Arcanine, but you might not be able to obtain them other then the GTS, or a trade.

Also, are you making a sandstorm team? That's what it seems like.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
for a fire type, i always used a flareon on my platinum version, and it always turned out one of my favorites. If you take dragonite, then you are in serious trouble if you ever find a trainer that beats your fire type then sends out an ice type later on, so you need at least 2 pokemon Other than flareon that have moves that could serve as a good ice-type counter.

ShinyPichu4Ever

Eye of the Storm
Flareon, Dragonite, Garchomp, Your Starter (Empoleon is usually pretty good), maybe Espeon, and Lucario makes for a good team as long as they are all leveled up well. If you don't have an espeon try an Alakazam.

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
Well Flygon and Jumpluff take four times the damage from Ice, so you may want something that resists it and can fight back against ice types. Steel is a good type for this but fire works fine too. For Steel, Steelix might work but it has very little special defense. Scizor would also work but it's a trade to evolve so you may not want to try it (you can catch wild Steelix on Iron Island).
For fire, if you don't have Infernape then Magmortar is really the only good option, but it's a trade again so you might want to find something else. There are also Ninetales and Arcanine, but you might not be able to obtain them other then the GTS, or a trade.

Also, are you making a sandstorm team? That's what it seems like.
No, but... it DOES seem that way now that you mention it. I would send out Tyranitar after all my non-Ground/Rock/Steel types are KOed.

I have Aggron, would that work for an Ice counter?

Here's my guess on how icons/smilies work. It should show my team in the order they would be in (all after Tyranitar are immune to sandstorm)

;189;
;467;
;181;
;248;
;395;
;306;

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
not bad, but with aggron, you would have to rely entirely on jumpluff to take out ground types... :/ or is empoleon only normally affected by ground?

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
not bad, but with aggron, you would have to rely entirely on jumpluff to take out ground types... :/ or is empoleon only normally affected by ground?
I already found out that I have an extremely ground-weak team... I'll replace Empoleon with Torterra.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
That would mean you now have no water type... and a poison/ice fighter, since poison moves do nothing against it, and ice is .25 against it. i would advise against that... if you were willing to add in flygon instead of aggron, that would be a good ground type counter with its levitate... you can probably teach it ice beam 2.