• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anybody else really annoyed how they changed James's line?

KJC

They changed it from "to unite all peoples within our nation" to "to unite all people within our nation". But why? I suspect that someone thought that "peoples" sounded racial while "people" didn't. In any case I find the change incredibly annoying and unjustified.

chicorita3

They changed it from "to unite all peoples within our nation" to "to unite all people within our nation". But why? I suspect that someone thought that "peoples" sounded racial while "people" didn't. In any case I find the change incredibly annoying and unjustified.

WOW how frustrating. let's riot!

no but seriously dude no one cares about the change I don't think anyone noticed but you

Akashin

Well, you're more or less right on what the perceived difference between people and peoples is. The thing is, people makes more sense than peoples in the context anyway. I consider it more a correction (and an exceedingly minor one to complain about, though that's a dead horse everybody else is already wailing on) than a change.

D

Deleted member 384931

WOW how frustrating. let's riot!

no but seriously dude no one cares about the change I don't think anyone noticed but you

But I think it is better that you can talk about your frustrations!:)

KJC

Its just the needless capitulation to PC that annoys me. Like someone actually thought this was some sort of threat to the show.

"Peoples" sounds far more eloquent than "people".

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
Oh boy, here we go with the whole "PC police" argument. What if I told you it didn’t matter? Hell, the TRio's version of the motto isn't even the official one. Far as I'm concerned, James can say "hide yo kids, hide yo wife" if he wants. Just... move on.

MattySadler

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
For some reason I have noticed the difference, but like some others have said, it doesn't really seem like a big deal. I'm more bothered by the fact that TRio doesn't give up on being evil and instead pursue worthy endeavors. With Jessie and James being a couple of course XD

DatsRight

I'm more bothered that, similar to Ash, they squander time for good development just to have them do the same thing over and over. The best most lasting depth to them is that they are talented guys who have picked the wrong job, hence most of the fun episodes with them are the ones where they're stuck in a non villainous role or facade (e.g. in one of their costume acts), proving how easily they could make a good living for themselves if they weren't stubbornly attached to their cool villain gang. In a more developed continuity, they'd probably end up good at everything EXCEPT Pokemon snatching. :p

Even in terms of their villain role, they could at least develop on it and have them do different schemes or ties with the organisation like in BW rather than just the same ineffectual gag stealing Pikachu all the time. My biggest problem with XYZ is currently this in fact, especially since most of their roles feel rather half assed. They're not even bothering to play up that extra bit of competence they developed anymore, we're totally back to square one.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I suspect that someone thought that "peoples" sounded racial while "people" didn't.

lolwut

I noticed the slight change, but it didn't bother me. It's still the same motto they've been using from the second episode. Considering they've changed it up all the time over the years, changing the original motto's phrasing of "peoples" to "people" is nothing to sneeze at. If you still want to recite "to unite all peoples within our nation", go ahead, it's probably natural to you and no one's going to notice nor care.

How long is their motto anyways? has anyone timed it?

Isn't it like 20-30 seconds?

Last edited:

DatsRight

Hey at least they're not in every episode anymore.

And I feel TR's spotlight hogging feels just as detrimental because the heroes barely have interesting development with them. They're stuck saying cliche hero lines and providing the usual predictable one sided beatdown with the exact same strategy, while the trio get all the humorous banter and developed scheming. Only rare cases of chemistry such as Pikachu and Bonnie with Meowth have occurred (they're also been in more instances as individuals where they are forced to outsmart the trio than just have raw power on their side, making their victories more compelling), and it often leads to as good moments for the heroes as the trio. They could easily compromise the use of both Ash's team and the trio if the heroes weren't usually forced to turn off so the trio can be the more vibrant underdogs whenever they appear.

BW and early XY at least made them more challenging to give the heroes sympathy, but that's not the same as adding character chemistry.

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
20-30 seconds... that's like 4% of each episode.
I would not be bothered by this if they weren't lazy enough to switch up the motto and add comical moments to it,
for example in episode "The Evolution Solution", Team Rocket was hella comical doing their motto despite their klutz moment.
James' slight change from "Peoples" to "People" show how mature the program has become but they need to bring it back to "peoples" and "comedy"

And not the corny stuff they did during the Sinnoh Saga

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
Nah,I was not bothered because personality matters more than the motto to me.I hardly ever pay attention to the motto as it's repetitive now and enjoy the personality that James has. ^^

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes