• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone annoyed by the lack of knowledge over Tracey?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Eh I didn't care for Tracey and if he ever shows up again I only want it to be so that we'll see whether his team has changed since his last appearance (i.e. if his Scyther has evolved).

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Kenji's team in general, but I'd love if his Strike had evolved by now. If it had, Kenji could've used Mega Hassam in the two recent Kanto themed episodes.

necris14

Protect that smile
Last time I remember seeing him was Advanced, pre-Battle Frontier. Someone correct me, did he show up at Oak's lab while Ash was shuffling his team around during the Sinnoh League? If not, then I'm not sure if he ever even got a new voice actor when the dub swap happened.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Last time I remember seeing him was Advanced, pre-Battle Frontier. Someone correct me, did he show up at Oak's lab while Ash was shuffling his team around during the Sinnoh League? If not, then I'm not sure if he ever even got a new voice actor when the dub swap happened.

Kenji/Tracey didn't show up during the Shinou League, but he made a brief cameo in DP in "Following A Maiden's Voyage!".

Red

Not the color
Kenji/Tracey didn't show up during the Shinou League, but he made a brief cameo in DP in "Following A Maiden's Voyage!".

Actually he showed up in “Flames of a Red Hot Reunion” in BW at the Kanto Festival.

If they can show Misty’s sisters and Brock’s brothers & sisters with new animation, I don’t see how Tracey couldn’t show up.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Well I wouldn't say 'annoyed' since I forget about him a lot (even though I like him) but it is a shame he didn't get a mention in the SM kanto episodes (from those eps it almost feels like they retconned him out but we'll see what happens)

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
I think I heard somewhere that part of the problem is that his Jap VA is either unavailable or cost too much...

Though yeah, it's pretty bad when a character is so unpopular even the animators can't fit him in (though those episodes WERE hella overcrowded)

I think it has to do with this more than anything else. Tracey as Oak's assistant should be so easy to include in the Pallet Town or Oak focused episodes, but they probably dont want to pay the VA just for Tracey to say a few a lines in an episode.

Hope we will get a Tracey cameo in the SM series. I feel like the comedic nature of the series can help his character more and get people to like him some more. Or at the very least, give us some more voiceless cameos like in BW.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I feel like a lot of hate towards Tracey is thanks to how popular and influential Cori Falls was in the fan fic community becaus while Brock was popular, sure, most kids just really didn't care too much for Tracey to either love or hate him. I don't entirely know if it was planned from conception, but Tracey's goal was basically to work for Professor Oak, his idol, and so at the end of the season, he got that wish, and that's where he stayed to be his aide. The last time he had any kind of role in the series was Chronicles, but after that he was just demoted to the background, which is appropriate, but it's unfortunate he's otherwise a wasted character.

I haven't been keeping up with the anime as of late, so it's honestly disappointing to hear he hasn't actually appeared in person for quite some time. I agree with the comment(s) saying it's most likely due to his voice actor being unavailable, but that doesn't mean he can't have a voiceless cameo. Unless he's off running errands for Oak every time the corral shows up, that's a real shame he's being quietly phased out if that's the case. Seems to have occurred a lot for previously-recurring characters (such as Butch and Cassidy) since around Best Wishes.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I guess it's a little annoying, since Tracey isn't the most interesting character in the series and most people are indifferent towards him really (Hell he was only introduced since the anime staff thought Brock looked too Asian for Western Audiences).

Despite this, I think that Tracey has made the most appearances of any of Ash's Companions, being in the main cast for the Orange Island episodes and the Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of One and making reappearances in Pokémon 3: The Movie: Entei: Spell of the Unown, Pokémon 4Ever - Celebi: The Voice of the Forest (in a dub only scene) and in the credits of Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! He also appears in 7/22 Pokemon Chronicles episodes, in AG Episodes 132, 133 and 192, along with in DP Episode 1 and BW Episode 116.

He also has a Marill, which was cool since GS wasn't out when the Orange Island episodes started airing.

Tracey has had a lot of appearances, but not that much info revealed about him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash Ketchum! said:
Hope we will get a Tracey cameo in the SM series. I feel like the comedic nature of the series can help his character more and get people to like him some more. Or at the very least, give us some more voiceless cameos like in BW.

He wasn't a funny character in the past however, so him showing up in SM and doing a 180 turn might seem out of character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
He did have funny moments though, like when he was fanboying over Prof. Oak when he met him.

I didn't mean that he had no moments of comedy in general, simply that he was the cast's voice of reason like Takeshi most of the time.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
but fandom dislike him soo much right from the start

This is actually not true. The reason Brock came back had everything to do with Brock and nothing to do with Tracey. It was because Pokémon started airing in the West and Brock was well received, so they brought him back.

I feel like a lot of hate towards Tracey is thanks to how popular and influential Cori Falls was in the fan fic community becaus while Brock was popular, sure, most kids just really didn't care too much for Tracey to either love or hate him. I don't entirely know if it was planned from conception, but Tracey's goal was basically to work for Professor Oak, his idol, and so at the end of the season, he got that wish, and that's where he stayed to be his aide. The last time he had any kind of role in the series was Chronicles, but after that he was just demoted to the background, which is appropriate, but it's unfortunate he's otherwise a wasted character.

I haven't been keeping up with the anime as of late, so it's honestly disappointing to hear he hasn't actually appeared in person for quite some time. I agree with the comment(s) saying it's most likely due to his voice actor being unavailable, but that doesn't mean he can't have a voiceless cameo. Unless he's off running errands for Oak every time the corral shows up, that's a real shame he's being quietly phased out if that's the case. Seems to have occurred a lot for previously-recurring characters (such as Butch and Cassidy) since around Best Wishes.

Who's Cori Falls?

tommytoe

Even by the low standards of this show, I've always found Tracey to be extremely dull. I wouldn't mind him getting an occasional cameo or background appearance though.

He wasn't a funny character in the past however, so him showing up in SM and doing a 180 turn might seem out of character.
Eh, wouldn't be the first time the anime's done 180s on characters before. Ash and the TRio jump all over the place in terms of competence and personality from region to region with little to no in-universe explanation.
Who's Cori Falls?
https://fanlore.org/wiki/Cori_Falls

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Even though Tracey is an old companion, it's incredibly weird he just stopped appearing any time Oak's Lab was shown. It's like the writers really don't want any old companions back (and probably may explain why Iris and beyond did not get any special episodes in the next region they debuted).

I know this wiki is trying to explain the type of person she was, but I can't help thinking the descriptions are a story on their own...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Even though Tracey is an old companion, it's incredibly weird he just stopped appearing any time Oak's Lab was shown. It's like the writers really don't want any old companions back (and probably may explain why Iris and beyond did not get any special episodes in the next region they debuted).

I know this wiki is trying to explain the type of person she was, but I can't help thinking the descriptions are a story on their own...
Yeah, um, I fell into a giant rabbit hole here o_O

Um, was her impact on the fandom that big though that she would be a reason people hate Tracey? Doesn't really make much sense to me.

MockingJ

Banned
Even by the low standards of this show, I've always found Tracey to be extremely dull. I wouldn't mind him getting an occasional cameo or background appearance though.

If all he'll do is have a cameo where he doesn't talk, then I don't think he should even show up at all.

Kintaro

Banned
The simple reason is he's not that popular, he's an old character from 1999 most kids of today don't even know about, and he's the only companion not from the games and an anime-original character. Besides that and paying his Japanese VA, he's just not relevant enough. The writers don't even want to bring Gary back anymore, let alone Tracey. Gary hasn't been seen in nearly a decade.