• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else finds it funny how we got 4 controversial Leagues in a row?

BlueDragonfangirl

Eh? I saw positive feedback on the Alola league, everyone was happy from what I saw. I think its understandable to peeved about the XY league, Ash was so close to winning to be beat out by someone who decided to enter at the last second. In my opinion XY Ash was the best Ash yet.

DatsRight

I think that might simply be because that was when the whole infamy with the league formula was starting to form. Like with Sinnoh it had become BLATANT that a status quo maintenance was going on with the use of Tobias and everyone became wary of the league from that point on and what tricks each one would play to make sure Ash always lost. Thus it became a very big act to add up to when it finally came to one he was allowed to win.

The previous leagues kept that formula too, but were largely generic in how they utilised it, with Ash simply facing someone that was more experienced with him, while in later ones they tended to rely more on 'refuge in audacity' and playing something ridiculous against him to ensure he lost so it wouldn't undermine how far he'd gone as a trainer.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Isshu League wasn't as controversial as the Shinou League and Kalos League, although I consider it to be among my least favorites out of all the Leagues second only to the Alola League, which ironically was well-received by most fans mainly because Satoshi won the whole competition despite the structure of that tournament being arguably the most flawed so far.

Applecorp

4? The Alola league hardly got flack. I always thought that the Sinnoh league was great despite the battle with Tobias because Ash got an amazing battle with Paul and even okay matches with Conway and Nando.

The Isshu League wasn't as controversial as the Shinou League and Kalos League, although I consider it to be among my least favorites out of all the Leagues second only to the Alola League, which ironically was well-received by most fans mainly because Satoshi won the whole competition despite the structure of that tournament being arguably the most flawed so far.
Thank you. The only reason why people like the Alola League (and SM in general) is because Ash won it.

DatsRight

Thank you. The only reason why people like the Alola League (and SM in general) is because Ash won it.
Even if you don't believe me, I did actually like a lot of the battles beforehand. Helps the Alola league was a swansong for most of the other SM characters. Then again I'm someone who liked a lot of SM prior to any knowledge Ash was gonna win or even take part in a league.

It was a contentious league among fans however, largely due to the lack of many rules or requirements and the overall lack of intensity for the league Ash would finally win.

SH65

Victory Over All!
Sinnoh was fine until Tobias, Unova has no chance to be good, Kalos could have been fine if it wasn't for Alain and the Team Flare arc overshadowing it and Alola had a BR style match at the start that didn't work, the 1v1 matches were mostly boring, the 3v3's were ok with Ash vs Gladion being the best match out of the whole league which isn't saying much.

Morax

King of heroes
Kalos could have been fine if it wasn't for Alain and the Team Flare arc overshadowing it
I don't see a problem with that. TF was the grand finale for XY, not the kalos league. The world shouldn't revolve around Ash and his dumb goal. TF and to some extent the alola league found a way to make everyone relevant again and i'd take that over OS-BW any day.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Eh? I saw positive feedback on the Alola league, everyone was happy from what I saw.

There was next to no praise for that league until Satoshi won it, just like there were next to no complaints about the Sinnoh and Kalos leagues until Satoshi lost them. It wasn't the LEAGUES these people liked/disliked, it was the final few seconds of them.

GGuitarGuy95

Eh? I saw positive feedback on the Alola league, everyone was happy from what I saw. I think its understandable to peeved about the XY league, Ash was so close to winning to be beat out by someone who decided to enter at the last second. In my opinion XY Ash was the best Ash yet.
The reception was positive because Ash winning the League went viral. Most ppl who didn’t follow the series anymore, didn’t care about the League. Just that he won.

The Alola League had its fair share of controversy: Ash vs Hau, How the Alola League was setup.

Jers745

I dont know :p
I think what dephender said its the most true we mostly care about the end result, if the league was good or bad is not only an after though but also subjetive

deliaketchum

I did like sinnoh league despite ash loosing it. Best characters Conway, Barry, paul and Nando.

I was secretly hoping tobias would return out of nowhere in Alola league and ash would loose again :D That would have been most funny and troll thing.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don’t think that Kalos and Alola were actually considered to be controversial. Alain won in a fair match and he was always set up as a strong trainer and he had a team that were strong but not overpowered. Alola was well received and Ash did win the first League but it was more of a tournament with much less competitors participating. Ash won using his own skills as a trainer. The reason Sinnoh and Unova are so controversial is because the trainers that beat Ash did so with ridiculous circumstances. Tobias literally came out of nowhere with a team most likely full of Legendaries and he should have been alluded to before the League which is easy to do and also it’s easy to not say he had Legendaries on his team. Cameron won in the most BS way ever by having his Riolu evolving mid-battle which isn’t a problem as we’ve seen it happen before but then it literally went Super Saiyan for absolutely no reason at all which was just stupid. Getting stronger upon evolving I get as Ash’s Kingler was able to turn its battle around but Cameron’s Lucario was just overkill and we have literally never seen a Lucario get such a power boost or even be that strong before or since then. Korrina’s put up a fight without taking out Ash’s team with only one hit and I believe it was Mega Evolved. Maylene’s lasted a good bit but it didn’t avoid being damaged by Pikachu’s electrical attacks by simply holding its paw out in front of itself"

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
...We got eight controversial Leagues in a row. (To clarify, I am including the Orange League here.) Not one of them has ever not caused some degree of fandom rage.