• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else finds it funny how we got 4 controversial Leagues in a row?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
...We got eight controversial Leagues in a row. (To clarify, I am including the Orange League here.) Not one of them has ever not caused some degree of fandom rage.
Except maybe Unova because of Cameron.

NPT

Just a member
Sinnoh was not all that controversial since not only Ash defeated one of his toughest rival in a satisfying manner, but also went down with dignity by taking out two of Tobias' OP legendaries.

Alola had a few mediocre battles at the start but the Guzma/Gladion/Kukui battles more or less made up for those, not to mention it's Ash's first regional league victory.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Considering the alternative was writing half of Ash's battles as comedic punchlines in the Alolan League while everyone else in the League got their battles written mostly seriously...
In fairness that was because more contestants were MAIN CHARACTERS and were eliminated earlier than Ash. Most of the characters that got gag battles early on were the ones who got a chance to shine when everyone else was out of the picture. The one time they skipped a battle was to actually show Ash training.

XY had more linear focus on Ash and Alain yet skipped through their battles for reasons like the Furfrou trainer thing (which if anything just kinda made it look worse when Ash lost).

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Thank you. The only reason why people like the Alola League (and SM in general) is because Ash won it.
You literally have zero idea what you're saying, so stop with the generalisations. SM had already formed quite a fanbase by the time the nebby arc rolled around and it had quite a large following including me and a lot of the others who loved it before the Alola league started. That was just the cherry on top of the cake, fully satisfying it's fans which made the love more but saying people only like the Alola league and SM in general because of that is literally idiotic. It's the same as me saying "people only like XY because Serena kissed Ash in the end".
There was next to no praise for that league until Satoshi won it, just like there were next to no complaints about the Sinnoh and Kalos leagues until Satoshi lost them. It wasn't the LEAGUES these people liked/disliked, it was the final few seconds of them.
Yeah no. Kalos league had complaints beforehand about its rushed nature, which was drowned out by the hype but it was still there and in hindsight is a big flaw for people.
Similarly Alola league had praises for its character writing in those battles and Acerola Vs Kiawe and Kiawe Vs Sophocles, Illima Vs Guzma, Guzma Vs Lana being well received even before the semifinals.
In hindsight obviously people would judge it more because of its ending and the respective hype was more then these things I mentioned but they were still there. Saying there was "next to no complains/praise" is just false

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Considering the alternative was writing half of Ash's battles as comedic punchlines in the Alolan League while everyone else in the League got their battles written mostly seriously...
To be fair Ash vs Hau wasn't really presented as a joke.....which just makes the fakeout scene worse because they played it completely straight and dragged it out a lot

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
For all the leagues as a whole tournament yes though the Sinnoh one at least was a good league. Unova was bad, really really bad. I mean look at how they end Trip and Ash's "rivalry" with a 1vs1 battle. Then everything else with Cameron and the filler episode about Axew, Kalos was coming close to be as bad with the Furfrou episode and the fact that there were pretty much only two fights for Ash. Alola was also hot garbage with Hau, the league not having even a single 4vs4+ and the other battles being rather meh. And Ash winning the league doesn't make it any better.

DatsRight

Yeah no. Kalos league had complaints beforehand about its rushed nature, which was drowned out by the hype but it was still there and in hindsight is a big flaw for people.
Similarly Alola league had praises for its character writing in those battles and Acerola Vs Kiawe and Kiawe Vs Sophocles, Illima Vs Guzma, Guzma Vs Lana being well received even before the semifinals.
In hindsight obviously people would judge it more because of its ending and the respective hype was more then these things I mentioned but they were still there. Saying there was "next to no complains/praise" is just false
Not to mention no one knew Ash would lose the Kalos League till it happened, and even for Alola I don't think it was spoiled he would win until we'd already got to the finals. People had been judging the two leagues based on the rest of the event up until that point, and looking at the episode threads they were both had a fair deal of pros and cons.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Not to mention no one knew Ash would lose the Kalos League till it happened, and even for Alola I don't think it was spoiled he would win until we'd already got to the finals. People had been judging the two leagues based on the rest of the event up until that point, and looking at the episode threads they were both had a fair deal of pros and cons.
for Alola we knew there'd be a full battle a bit afterwards, so it wasn't too hard to deduce what would happen

Zero1999

4? Shouldn't it be 5 starting from Hoenn? Sinnoh was when the internet exploded and Kalos was a total nuke towards OLM and Pokemon company

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
4? Shouldn't it be 5 starting from Hoenn? Sinnoh was when the internet exploded and Kalos was a total nuke towards OLM and Pokemon company
Is the Hoenn league controversial? Most times I hear it being talked about it's usually in an either neutral or positive light, but IDK if people straight up dislike it

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
the Alola League, which ironically was well-received by most fans mainly because Satoshi won the whole competition despite the structure of that tournament being arguably the most flawed so far.
Personally, while I wish we had more 3x3 matches, the Alola League is one of my favorites since it was the first time since Sinnoh (or technically Hoenn since they only showed the end of Ash's CotD battle in the Sinnoh League) where we got to see every match played out & nothing felt rushed. Ash winning the league was just a bonus for me, & even though it was spoiled at the end it was a great surprise

Also, while it was annoying seeing people complain about stuff like Ash's battle with Hau, I still liked seeing people's reactions to the Alola League as the matches played out each week. It gave the anime a similar feeling to something like the Olympics or the Tournament of Power, which was something I never really felt with the past leagues for some reason

Last edited:

Zero1999

Is the Hoenn league controversial? Most times I hear it being talked about it's usually in an either neutral or positive light, but IDK if people straight up dislike it
I did remember people complaining about Ash's defeat against a trainer who used a Meowth and just weren't satisfying with how he was eliminated, oh boy what was coming for Sinnoh was gonna take the internet and Yt comment sections like a storm

RafaSceptile

No because it is the most forgettable one, and you need to be remembered to be controversial (also it is in the neutral zone, not enough good, but not enough bad)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Personally, while I wish we had more 3x3 matches, the Alola League is one of my favorites since it was the first time since Sinnoh (or technically Hoenn since they only showed the end of Ash's CotD battle in the Sinnoh League) where we got to see every match played out & nothing felt rushed. Ash winning the league was just a bonus for me, & even though it was spoiled at the end it was a great surprise

Also, while it was annoying seeing people complain about stuff like Ash's battle with Hau, I still liked seeing people's reactions to the Alola League as the matches played out each week. It gave the anime a similar feeling to something like the Olympics or the Tournament of Power, which was something I never really felt with the past leagues for some reason
Tbh the tournament of power is something that really only worked on week to week. The plot was practically nonexistent, Jiren is blander than cardboard, and there was a lot of nonsense in the fights themselves, but I can't deny that the fanbase's hype was fun

Morax

King of heroes
Tbh the tournament of power is something that really only worked on week to week. The plot was practically nonexistent, Jiren is blander than cardboard, and there was a lot of nonsense in the fights themselves, but I can't deny that the fanbase's hype was fun
Another aspect of the ToP that made it work was the stakes. Everybody had a reason to participate ( win or die ). Pokemon leagues are just sports competitions with little to nothing at stake.

That aside, comparing dragon ball to pokemon is an insult to the former.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Another aspect of the ToP that made it work was the stakes. Everybody had a reason to participate ( win or die ). Pokemon leagues are just sports competitions with little to nothing at stake.

That aside, comparing dragon ball to pokemon is an insult to the former.
eeeh, I'd put work in quotations, since after U9 got erased it barely truly felt like they were on a fight to the death.

while I respect DB for pretty much being the father of shonen, tbh modern DB isn't exactly good

Pokemonfan5

Hoenn league Is something fans rarely talk about because it doesn't have memorable battles against rival like Ash vs Paul or some bullsh*t controversial battles like Ash vs Richie or Cameron.

Pokemonfan5

I did like sinnoh league despite ash loosing it. Best characters Conway, Barry, paul and Nando.

I was secretly hoping tobias would return out of nowhere in Alola league and ash would loose again :D That would have been most funny and troll thing.
Funny thing is most participants in Alola league is much weaker than others but this is the only league where Tobias can lose, if he face Ash before semi finals than he will lose for sure as trainers allowed to use only one Pokemon, while the battle against Gladion can go either way.