• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else hate the obsession with shiny pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog Of Steel

Quirky Nature
Yeah, I love shinies, but not enough to SR or even chain. However, I could understand how people would spend time to SR and chain for a special version of a pokemon they like or a pokemon that just looks much better. I would train certain shiny pokemon if I had them like Koffing and Staryu because I love their shiny colors.
I do much prefer RE shinies to anything else. The pure luck of REs can make even an ugly shiny still valuable to me. I have only prioritized shinies once when I actually ended making a shiny Cacnea a part of my team in Sapphire.

Mega Typhlosion

I don't hate, because although I don't care much about it, most people accept Shiny <--> Event trades, and since I'm an Event Collector, it's a good way of getting some new specimens to my collection :p

Kyle95

i love shinies, but like some people have said, i don't like seeing a whole team of them. Its just overdoing it and takin the uniqueness away.

I like shinnies but they need to be kept as a RARE thing and not flaunted around in battles.
Ok, take one or two but a whole f~in team no thanks.
I think it's ok to hunt for shinnies, but if you dedicate your whole Pokemon carear to it you don't deserve them.
It's awesome when you run into them randomly.
I hope to complete my Pokedex with shinnies some day! Yes, I know that's a huge thing but I've been playing Gold since it came out (The original) and I still love it. I'll be playing HG in 10 years :D
So I hope to complete it by RANDOM ENCOUNTERS, thats what makes shinnies so much better that 1000 days searching or a billion soft resets.

I don't mind seeing shinies on a team. Shinies in general are cool, as long as you find it yourself instead of trading for them or hacking or whatever. it's unique that way. I have two shinies, a dugtrio and a rhyperior, both of which dont look any better than the original and have bad natures and IV's, but i EV trained them and use them anyway because im a little proud of them lol. I actually keep a false swiper on my team at all times just in case i run into one in the wild.

Klinny

Skitty Chaser
I like Shinies. I don't have any, (other than the Gyarados from HG/SS) but I think they are lovely and I am the type of person who would trade an Event Pokemon for one.

I don't battle competitively but I could see how it might be kind of irritating to see an entire team full of Shinies. However, that trainer put a lot more time and effort into collecting them than I did, so if they managed to get a full team of Shinies without cheating then kudos to them.

harrypotter4567

Pokémon God
No matter how rare they are, I've never seen the point. They just look different. Is like racism for Pokemon. Just cause I have a normal Pikachu lv.62 doesn't mean it isn't a great pokemon!

Larry

I don't hate the obsession sure it gets annoying but for those who haven't caught one or seen one it is so exciting.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
There are a lot of shiny colored Pokemon that I prefer over the original color of certain Pokemon (like Mightyena.)

Though some are kind of odd looking, I don't really care as long as the Pokemon looks good while kickin' ass.

I don't really mind the obsessed-with-shinies crowd, let them do what they wanna do.

smellaby

i like the aspect of the shiny pokemon but i do feel like the 'magic' that was around them has faded, i still get a tad giddy when i find a wild one tho, just something different innit?
i think maybe another way would be to have some way of customizing your pokes' with clothes and accesories etc although i dunno i doubt this is possible and is prob why they made the poke contests, but would prob help make pokes' more unique/indivdual

49ersgiantsfan

Achievements Junkie
While I have caught a few shiny Pokemon, I do not obsess over them as much, even though I would just look over them because they are so special due to the 1/8192 shiny encounter rate. It really raises the question when I see an entire party of shiny Pokemon as to whether if he/she is cheating (Action Replay) or not. I never used a shiny at all, except for the shiny Gyarados which is a guaranteed shiny. Even the red Gyarados I do not use in my storyline team!

The truth is that shiny does not make a difference, stat-wise. Shiny Pokemon are subject to the same 0-31 IV and base stats of the species. The only difference is that it is differently colored and sparkles right when it appears.

Last edited:

Kyukon_Mars

I don't mind people who love shinies or hunt for them or whatever, I'm just frustrated because I've only ever encountered two the whole time I've been playing Pokemon. I am using the Masuda Method to try and get my own, but only because I really like the alternate coloring. If I don't care for it or don't think I'll ever have a use for a shiny then I don't bother trying to get it. I just don't have the patience, but more power to those who do.

swimteam09

"Vas up!I'm Bruno!"
I have to totally agree with you. I can't find one at all, and I don't see what all the hype is about. Only a few of them actually look cool.

metarcanine

Metagross+Arcanine
I considered collecting shinies but I'm not obsessed with it.
It's their choice and they enjoy shiny hunting. I do agree that not all shiny pokemon look amazing but there are some that are probably worth getting. I really like the shiny Metagross and won't mind SRing for it or asking people to trade and what not.

Euphemia

I do like some shinies, but others are so ugly ... ew!

I'm a bit shallow like that ^_^;;
But I can't understand the whole EV thing, so I just play for fun~! ^_^;

Unpredictable-Strategist

Unorthodox Trainer
I have a few shinies that I chained for, and hope to make a hail team of shinies I caught. Except spheal isn't chainable (I don't think so at least), so that kinda ruins my plans. Chaining still requires knowledge and hard work, and in my opinion it doesn't take the uniqueness out of a shiny. I'm mostly just trying to chain my 3 favorite pokemon (weavile, froslass, ariados), but I don't see what the big deal is in a team of shinies. That person probably worked hard to get them and is very proud and satisfied. It's not meant to make the other person jealous. Now if they cheated, that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.