1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice these last couple years the anime has broken trends? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by GMax Helios, Feb 11, 2020.

1. GMax Helios

GMax Helios Member

-Pikachu doesn't reset (how else do you explain him beating Hala's Hariyama on his 1st try, not to mention still standing after hits by Tapu Koko)

-Ash catching and keeping a legend

-Ash catching a never before seen Pokemon (even though he released it)

-ASH WINNING THE LEAGUE

-Ash beating a Champion tiered trainer

-Ash beating a literal deity (Though he helps them more than he fights them)

-Catching not only a psuedo legendary, but a fully evolved psuedo legendary

-Only 1 traveling companion

What's next?

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

It's amusing how many little patterns that seemed set in stone for so long have been broken recently. I like that the writers are trying new things even if not all fans seem to like change, and I don't have any particular hopes for the future other than perhaps seeing more character comebacks and possibly more information about Satoshi's father and his extended family.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  3. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

The more broken trends the better. I suppose the next big one would be to replace Ash after Generation 8.

BabaVanga and wolf jani like this.
  4. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

You forgot Ash and at least two companions capturing mythical Pokemon, and EVERYONE getting their hands on the gen power up gimmick.

The trend breaking arguably started with BW, which spruced up the Team Rocket dynamic tremendously and even when things mostly reverted back, didn't use them in every episode anymore, allowing for rather differently handled episodes. They also replaced Brock at last and started toying with giving the male companions a more prominent limelight.

Scorbunnie likes this.
  5. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Oh, look. A comment."

They break trends.

To replace them with new issues.

It's like breaking a window with a shoe instead with a hammer right behind your back.

6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Gaganga, Keeper of the Gates Impartial

There's breaking trends, and then there's breaking the very concept of the anime itself, which simply will not happen. Pikachu is still the mascot of the series, and not just any Pikachu, specifically Ash's Pikachu.

7. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

We'll see. I think a new Pikachu could take over

BabaVanga and wolf jani like this.
  8. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Trends has been broken since BW.Also Ash has never beaten Champion tiered trainer lmao.
    He has beaten dieties since AG.

Also people still talk about Ash being replaced lmao. People never learn... Ash wont be replaced.

9. GMax Helios

GMax Helios Member

I'm not so sure Darkrai and Latios count as deities. They just seem like really strong Pokemon. The Tapus, however, literally have thte title "Guardian Deity". I think they even refer to them as that in Japanese.

Also, Kukui's not champion tier? That guy's incineroar takes on 3 Pokemon at the same time on a probably daily basis. He even took down a Primarina, Machamp, and Decidueye all in one move and even tanked all their hits as if they were nothing. That sure does sound like a Champion to me.

Bortgreen and Leonhart like this.
  10. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

1.Just because they have dieties in their name that does not mean they are magically stronger than other wild mythicals and legs...and trained myths or legs are stronger than wild one except some.. Tobias Darkrai woul beat any Tapu.

2.Kukui is not even E4 tier dude let alone champion. So what if he defeated 3 featless Pokemon.So based on that every Pokemon that beat TR Pokemon which are usually above 3 is Champion level ?.And btw having one per say E4 level Pokemon does not make you E4 level you need like 6 Pokemon to be on that level.It just makes that Pokemon E4 level.

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

That's their title, but at the end of the day they're just Legendary Pokemon, not actual deities. Nothing that they ever did in the anime made them seem like anything other than really strong Pokemon from my viewpoint, which applies to all Legendaries and Mythicals as well [with the possible exception of Arceus].

CMButch likes this.
  12. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

It's well due for Ash to receive some form of progress. All we need now is for him to develop a crush on Koharu a girl and we're pretty set.:D

Don't forget that they're utilizing barely mentioned characters like Delia (in SM) and now, Mr. Mime, as well as having the TRio not appear as much as they used to. Even better that they've been handled pretty decently after the insufferable catastrophe they were in Kalos.

BabaVanga and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  13. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Go already shatters the concept of the anime when he catches everything in sight and then doesn't bond with his pokémon unless they're marketable

14. satopi

The fact that we have a Scyther as a notable Pokémon cast member is pretty dang incredible!

15. AuraChannelerChris

Was Tracey a dream to you.

PorcelainVulpix and Zoruagible like this.
  16. satopi

I said notable. Go’s Scyther has already made a bigger impression than anything Tracey ever own, including his Marill.

17. GMax Helios

GMax Helios Member

To be honest, as nonsensical as it sounds, I'm half expecting Ash and Go to team up with the wolves and fight Eternamax just like in the games. I mean, they're definitely doing something with Eternatus. Why else would they
    show him in the latest episode? That's definitely forshadowing. Then again, at the camp in XY we saw Xerneas, and outside movies that's the last we see of her.

18. AuraChannelerChris

But Tracey's was a grandpa!

(Unrelated, but it looks like your signature is broken.)

satopi likes this.
  19. Because they wanna stay fresh

20. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

Serena kissing Ash really broke things and opened the way for previous "taken for granted" traditions to be broken. Yajima correctly defined her act as something revolutionary. Thank you, Serena!

No wonder Pokénchi hyped up the reveal of Serena as Shokotan's favorite character by calling her "Legendary Heroine".

By the way I'd add

Ash not doing the current games' gym quest

KenzeyEevee likes this.