1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice these last couple years the anime has broken trends? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by GMax Helios, Feb 11, 2020.

1. brtnvm

brtnvm Giselle best girl

No actually Well I think Pokemon heroes you know the one where is Latias still best Pokemon Movie its.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  2. brtnvm

brtnvm Giselle best girl

By the way, changing the artstyle after XY&Z was a very bad decision even if it presumably "broke a trend", well the artstyle was a trend that shouldn't have been broken.

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'm all for changes every now and again, but the SM saga's animation style bothered me as well. It made Satoshi in particular look incredibly dopey.

4. RafaSceptile

RafaSceptile Well-Known Member

It was an excellent decision because it allowed to improve animation out of Battles.

5. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Magikazam!"

At the expense of looking uncanny.

6. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Caulifla v.s. _______

They honestly should have kept the OS-DP art style instead of changing it up with BW as it is part of the reasons why the anime now feels disconnected to the series before BW.

7. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

most importantly, they should have kept Ash’s OS - DP eyes

8. RafaSceptile

Only Ash and TRio looked strange because we got used to the design of the last 6 years

9. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Magikazam!"

Exactly.

And they were the most focused characters, so...more uncanny valley time.

(And let's not forget Lillie, who looked much less serious than her game counterpart.)

10. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I think I'm the only one who prefers Ash's SM design.

While the art style is subjective, I think streamlining the animation itself was for the best, since it allowed way more stuff to happen in each shot and for more characters to be easier to draw for longer scenes. The larger Pokemon were no longer demoted just to key scenes in SM, letting them gain broader personalities and chemistries. Seeing large or evolved Pokemon like Turtonator, Lycanroc and Vikavolt actually appear regularly in casual scenes for once was quite fun. Sure XYZ was crisper, but this limitation was becoming obvious by then, almost two thirds of the main Pokemon didn't appear outside pivotal scenes or group shots where they were basically a still image.

If anything it's a shame they didn't streamline animation earlier, imagine if Axew wasn't handicapped by the animation limitations and was allowed to evolve in BW.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

That's a good point, and frankly I had forgotten how dreadful Musashi and Kojirou looked during SM. Sometimes it looked like their hips were inflated.

Scorbunnie and KenzeyEevee like this.
  12. Honestly it would have made more sense if SM came after BW

CMButch and Leonhart like this.
  13. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix justice for johto

how??

14. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

No, every non-generation 7 character was strange. They were drawn worse, for whatever reason.

Twilight-Kun and Scorbunnie like this.
  15. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

When it comes to art styles of Ash:
    1. XY and BW art style
    2.AG and DP art style
    3.ICY
    4.PM art style
    5.OS art style
    6.Coco
    7.SM art style
    8.First movie remake
    9.Everyone's Story

Leonhart likes this.
  16. Power Up

Power Up ...

An actual romance subplot will likely never happen again, especially when you have the official Pokemon account on Twitter tweeting out the kiss every Valentine's Day lol.

Breaking trends once is hard enough, breaking it again is next to impossible

Why would the anime try again when they already had it so good

17. J.Agera

J.Agera Reborn

At the expense of Battle animation and character designs.
    For a long running show, I think it wasn't a good decision.

Twilight-Kun and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  18. RafaSceptile

SM has some of the best animated battles in the Pokémon Anime such as Brock vs Kiawe, Ash vs Misty and Ash vs Kukui. Those 3 battles were mentioned in the "201X awards" for the best animation episodes in Sakugabooru, a page about the sakuga (good animation). Sooo...this was a good decision.
    And the character designs were really good (except Ash and TRio MAYBE) and much more expressive than previous series.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  19. J.Agera

J.Agera Reborn

None of those battles are upto to the XY caliber except maybe Ash vs Kukui, apart from a few, majority of the battles are mediocre to bad.

Character designs sucked(Ash, Trio, Lillie). Being expressive and good looking are two different things. I personally would rather have good character designs rather than expressive animation which are animated at the cost of battles. And I doubt the target audience cares much about expressiveness anyway.
    Expressiveness in old art style was fine enough, we didn't need more than asked for.

Spider-Phoenix and CMButch like this.
  20. RafaSceptile

SM fighting scenes in Sakugabooru: 179
    XY fighting scenes in Sakugabooru: 183

SM character acting scenes in Sakugabooru: 208
    XY character acting scenes in Sakugabooru: 55

Are you sure it's a fair exchange? Because for me, it isn't

Yeah, Lillie design in the anime sucks...oh wait!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]