1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice these last couple years the anime has broken trends? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by GMax Helios, Feb 11, 2020.

1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Magikazam!"

I like how Lillie's anime art does not reflect her actually peppy, cheerful nature in it. Like, nothing at all.

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

It's probably in the best interest of the writers not to add another full-time romance subplot since they wouldn't be able to get away with it again, because most fans would probably have the foresight to sense that it would be yet another pointless tease.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  3. J.Agera

J.Agera Reborn

Lmao you think one sakuga moment makes the entire battle good?
    What are you trying to prove with the battle moments?

I will take better character design and overall battle animation over SOL animation in a long running show anyday.

Lillie's design doesn't exactly looks like that in the Anime lol.

brtnvm likes this.
  4. brtnvm

brtnvm Giselle best girl

But what about Contestshipping? I'd argue that it set a trend of having developed romance in the anime.

Leonhart likes this.
  5. RafaSceptile

RafaSceptile Well-Known Member

Those aren't one sakuga moment because SM or XY doesn't have 179 and 183 battles during their episodes, in general SM has the same level of animation than XY during the battles, but much better animation outside of battles. That's why the change in the character designs was good for the anime.

Oh yes, the Lillie's design isn't the same in her official artwork and the anime, oh wait!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

No, SM fight scenes are not better than XY. Not even DP.However I would it would take third place.

J.Agera likes this.
  7. J.Agera

J.Agera Reborn

XY has overall way more consistenttly well animated battles. C'mon, that's like, blatantly obvious.
    More sakuga moments prove nothing really. Consistency in battles in SM is one of the weakest aspect of the series.
    I have no idea why one would wnat good SOL animation in a LONG RUNNING show? That way the animation work will be scattered and that's why the battles are so dull in sm most of the time.
    That's a victory moment animated with effort into it.
    Most of the times she Dosen't look similar to the games.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AuraChannelerChris

Weekly anime format is bad.

Much more so when the writing is unable to salvage the episode.

9. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Caulifla v.s. _______

I like Lillie's anime design more than her game design to be honest.
    They should go for 20-26 episodes a year and then take a hiatus while rerunning the season again until the next season begins. That way it can cut down on all the Cotd/potd Team Rocket fillers/almost fillers.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  10. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

I don't enjoy fillers but they're part of pokemon anime experience so I don't want them to be cut out. and I do want a new episode every weeks. So I don't want hiatuses either.

EmeraldArcanine and Scorbunnie like this.
  11. RafaSceptile

SM had much fewer battles than XY and yet has almost the same number of sakuga scenes as XY
    Even if you don't want to believe that SM was better animated, minimum are on par in this regard.
    But out of battle, SM was a Lot better than XY.

If SM has practically the same amount of sakuga scenes as XY with a significantly smaller number of battles, then SM was more consistent in terms of animation during battles

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  12. AuraChannelerChris

Enlighten someone who doesn't know what a sakuga scene is, please. (Me.)

13. Power Up

Power Up ...

SM's choreography is incredibly lackluster versus XY. Furthermore, many of SM's battles are simply are boring to watch there is so much talking and the battles aren't directed well

LOL, are you using the # of sakuga clips on sakugabooru as a barometer of quality? That literally means nothing. There are many " sakuga " clips in XY that are not on that site.

You do also realize that XY aired a full 5 years ago and the site is much more active now then 5 years ago? Of course SM is more likely to have more because people are more on top of things lol

Furthermore, quantity doesn't equal quality. Even then, I've seen many of the so-called sakuga clips of SM, they aren't good

Whatever you say...

Lol, SM's animation is missing:
    - choreography
    - 3D space
    - dynamic camera angles
    - good directing
    - etc

in favor of well- animated, boring finishers to round out battles that contain an asinine amount of talking, are paced in an uninteresting fashion, and feature a **** ton of camera panning

Yes, there are battles that break the low standard of battles in SM, but they're few and far between.

The first battle between Ash and Clemont in XY is better than a majority of SM's battles. SM could have 40 sakuga clips, to just that one battle in XY, and they would still would amount to a lower quality animation in battles

-----

However, SM is generally better animated outside of battles for sure

14. RafaSceptile

According with Sakugabooru:
    An Introduction to awesome animation aka 'sakuga'
    Sakuga written as '作画' in Japanese has a literal meaning of 'working drawing' but generally is used to mean just 'animation'. However in regards this website (and the fans who visit it) it takes on a slightly different meaning where it refers to exceptionally animated scenes, 'good sakuga', usually through the work of a talented animator.

15. AuraChannelerChris

Oh.

Just like almost every Demon Slayer battle is a sakuga battle.

16. RafaSceptile

Well, Demon Slayer has an average of 6 sakuga scenes per episode, more than both SM (3.09 per episode) and XY (2.12 per episode)

17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

In terms of animation, I thought that SM had better battles than DP and XY. But in terms of execution, original ideas, and strategy, DP was above SM.

RafaSceptile likes this.
  18. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

1.What is Sakuga?
    2.SM battles are definitely not better animated than XY. XY battles has almost to none static background during attack. SM did have some static background. Camera shots and movement was much freer in XY than SM.

3.No, out of battles XY is better than SM.

@Leonhart
    How is animation in SM(battles) better than animation in XY? lol.
    Only a few would be on par with XY and when it comes to DP, yes animation is worse than SM, but battles are much better than SM ones when it comes to strategy, then different shots of battles, better cinematography.

19. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Caulifla v.s. _______

I wish we'd get stuff like the stock animation of Ash turning his hat back again.

20. RafaSceptile

1. An Introduction to awesome animation aka 'sakuga'
    Sakuga written as '作画' in Japanese has a literal meaning of 'working drawing' but generally is used to mean just 'animation'. However in regards this website (and the fans who visit it) it takes on a slightly different meaning where it refers to exceptionally animated scenes, 'good sakuga', usually through the work of a talented animator.

2. SM has a significantly less number of battles than XY but basically the same number of sakuga scenes in Sakugabooru (SM 179 vs XY 183), so....SM isn't worse animated than XY during the battles

3.SM out of battles with character acting has like 400% more sakuga moments than XY (like 200 scenes vs like 50 scenes), so...SM is better animated than XY outside of battles