• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else the female Psuedo Rivals need more personality?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Im sick of all these immature happy go lucky rivals we want rivals we look forward to beating the crap out of. not this O herz comes the kid with Add hez gonna finez me a million dollar if i dont hurry up and drink ma soda....

And this here is a perfect example of what I said earlier.

The inexplicable hatred of the D/P/P rival because he's a nice guy who actually acts more like a rival then any other, seeing as he's the only one who actually pushes you to do better in his text.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
Maybe my memory is messing me up, but isn't the super awesome rival silver the one who always whined when you beat him complaining his Pokemon aren't stronger? I never saw him as a rival, more like a douchy kid who acts alot cooler than he really is.

Gary yeah, he was a rival. His team kicked ***, he'd always keep his cool even if you beat him, and sides, he always beat the gyms before you did, so he beat you where it mattered. Just like that new rival, the ADD-er, btw

Also note that RSE had Wally too, as a sort of rival. He actually turns out to be surprisingly good atr the end. Too bad Sapphire and Ruby never relly tried to do anything.

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Always keep his cool? Need I remind you of the final battle with him?

And where did he beat you where it mattered?

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
Maybe my memory is messing me up, but isn't the super awesome rival silver the one who always whined when you beat him complaining his Pokemon aren't stronger? I never saw him as a rival, more like a douchy kid who acts alot cooler than he really is.

Exactly. I've just began playing Silver, and I expected some super cool rival like the way everyone describes him. He's just a whiny kid who complained about his Pokemon not being strong enough, how he only liked strong Pokemon and how you're a weakling even though you kicked his butt. Even Wally was a better rival then him, and he was super nice.

Anyway, back to topic.

May vs Brendan.
Dawn vs Lucas.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
And this here is a perfect example of what I said earlier.

The inexplicable hatred of the D/P/P rival because he's a nice guy who actually acts more like a rival then any other, seeing as he's the only one who actually pushes you to do better in his text.

How does he act more like rival? near the end after he is beat at lake he says it not about winning anymore. therefore his goal is not the same as yours. also the other rival look forward to battle you and when they lost they got mad. not just brush it of like nothing happened cheering you on. a real rival doesn't what you to accomplish your goal. he wants to complete it.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
How does he act more like rival? near the end after he is beat at lake he says it not about winning anymore. therefore his goal is not the same as yours. also the other rival look forward to battle you and when they lost they got mad. not just brush it of like nothing happened cheering you on. a real rival doesn't what you to accomplish your goal. he wants to complete it.

...did you miss the definition of a rival earlier on?

Anyway, may I note that Blue and Silver were absolute pricks? They did not encourage you to do better, like a real rival should, all they do is belittle you and constantly call you weak.

That is not a rival. That is a bully.

You seem to be operating under the mistaken impression that being nice disqualifies you from being a rival. You're absolutely wrong.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
...did you miss the definition of a rival earlier on?

Anyway, may I note that Blue and Silver were absolute pricks? They did not encourage you to do better, like a real rival should, all they do is belittle you and constantly call you weak.

That is not a rival. That is a bully.

You seem to be operating under the mistaken impression that being nice disqualifies you from being a rival. You're absolutely wrong.

First. a rival is someone who is trying to attain the same goal as u usally a goal that only you or him can attain.

Second. since their trying to attain the same goal as you it would be completely stupid to encourage the other party to complete the said goal since only one can attain it.

Third. since blue and silver fit this description it makes them good rivals.

Fourth. i do amit that you not have to be a jerk to be a rival but you cant lose sight of the goal.

Fifth. Your completely WRONG

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
First. a rival is someone who is trying to attain the same goal as u usally a goal that only you or him can attain.

You really want to go through with this don't you. Sigh.

Er-hem:

Main Entry: 1ri·val
Pronunciation: \ˈrī-vəl\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin rivalis one using the same stream as another, rival in love, from rivalis of a stream, from rivus stream — more at run
Date: 1577
1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage
2 obsolete : companion, associate
3 : equal, peer

As you can see here, nothing in this definition discounts Barry from being a rival. In fact, it actually disqualifies Blue and Silver, as they really don't consider themselves to be your companion, equal, peer, whatever.

Second. since their trying to attain the same goal as you it would be completely stupid to encourage the other party to complete the said goal since only one can attain it.

You clearly have no idea how rivals really work here do you. What may amke "sense" to you, is not how the world works.

Rivals push each other to become better, and the way to do this is not insulting: it's encouragement and recognition.

Third. since blue and silver fit this description it makes them good rivals.

You're clearly at this point desperately trying to hold onto the Nolstalgia filter. Play the games again; Blue and SIlver were rivals in name only, as they acted more like bullies then anything else.

Fourth. i do amit that you not have to be a jerk to be a rival but you cant lose sight of the goal.

And when did Barry? May I note that you misquoted the D/P/P rival? At the lake he did not say it wasn't about winning, he said he needed to get stronger.

Fifth. Your completely WRONG

Nope.

Now sit down, have a cookie, and think before you respond.

Chim-Charred!

Blast Evolution!
Well I think its okay. The female characters get main cast roles in the anime where they have clearly defined personalities. Dawn is vain and girly and May is a shopper kind of girl but they're both nice and feminine. Unfortunaly, the male characters don't so really all they have are their appearences in the games and I guess the manga which isn't nearly as good as being in the anime soo...

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Er-hem:

As you can see here, nothing in this definition discounts Barry from being a rival. In fact, it actually disqualifies Blue and Silver, as they really don't consider themselves to be your companion, equal, peer, whatever.

Ok lets see.... the definition you gave was same thing i said but in a more professional aproch (kudos for acting smart). next as for blue and silver not fitting the description your part wrong. while silver yes, does consider himself better than you he in the end has the same goal.Blue on the other hand is clearly stated in r/b/y by Oak to be your rival since you were babies/little

You clearly have no idea how rivals really work here do you. What may amke "sense" to you, is not how the world works.

It must not make sense to you. do you want to help someone become the champion when you what to be it? i think not

Rivals push each other to become better, and the way to do this is not insulting: it's encouragement and recognition.

Once again you dont encourage someone to accomplish the goal you work so hard to achive.

You're clearly at this point desperately trying to hold onto the Nolstalgia filter. Play the games again; Blue and SIlver were rivals in name only, as they acted more like bullies then anything else.

Tho this is true they tried to do what rivals are suppose to do. that is get to goal before you. not let you take their dream away

And when did Barry? May I note that you misquoted the D/P/P rival? At the lake he did not say it wasn't about winning, he said he needed to get stronger.

I summarised the quote. also i also talking about bredon/may srry i didn't make it clear.

Nope.

as for the cookie, it was tasty. must of been a thank you gift for me being right. also im on a wii so srry for inquote response

Last edited:

need_2_read

Genius Teenage Girl
They so need a personality. Maybe if you knew them before the game starts, they would but who the heck knows
It would be funny if in the future the female rival appears to have a crush on you and thats why they follow you around

The Musician

Heracross trainer

Er-hem:

Nope.

I'm afraid you're reading the definition wrong. I've scoured dictionaries for all the definitions of rivals and NOWHERE does it say rivals encourage e/o. See 1a of the definition of rival and tell me where it discounts Blue and Silver. Honestly, I have no clue where you are getting the idea that rivals are buddies, please find the source and show me. You also need to look up the definition of a peer. I think you're the one who needs to do some serious thinking.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I'm afraid you're reading the definition wrong. I've scoured dictionaries for all the definitions of rivals and NOWHERE does it say rivals encourage e/o. See 1a of the definition of rival and tell me where it discounts Blue and Silver. Honestly, I have no clue where you are getting the idea that rivals are buddies, please find the source and show me. You also need to look up the definition of a peer. I think you're the one who needs to do some serious thinking.

Thank You.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Thank You.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I find it hilarious that you're trying to act like I'm a moron here.

To the musician: have you played the games recently?

Please check the text: your goal in the pokemon world is to fill the pokedex. There may be a bunch of battling, but the outright stated goal is to fill the dex. Do not even try to dispute this.

This automatically disqualifies Silver, as in the game he does not attempt to fill the dex.

Now then, note that Blue treats filling the dex as second to his massive ego pokemon battling skillz; in other words, that disqualifies him as well.

In fact, this disqualifies every rival in the games except for May and Brendan.

Due to this, if we are to continue to use the term "rival" to describe Blue, Silver, and Barry, we're going to have to use the other definitions. The ones I pointed out. The ones that do not in any way describe Blue and Silver.

Now then, let's look at the other definitions. companion, associate, equal, peer.

Hmm... you know, that last one looks rather familiar to me... but where... oh, right.

You also need to look up the definition of a peer.

This sounds like a great time to do so!

Main Entry: 1peer
Pronunciation: \ˈpir\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French per, from per, adjective, equal, from Latin par
Date: 13th century
1 : one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status
2 archaic : companion
3 a : a member of one of the five ranks (as duke, marquess, earl, viscount, or baron) of the British peerage b : noble 1

— peer adjective

Would you look at that. Rival means peer! Which means The Musician's entire argument fails. Good job.

Also, while we're at it, about that quote in the lake; summarizing does not mean completely changing its meaning.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
eh, Wally was probally the best rival to have charecter development, and it was thanks to YOU that he could kick your butt at victory road's end,

Silver & Gary/Blue/Green/Puce/whatever, where more of a bully/ego-maniac than a rival, more of a psudo-antagonist, as you needed to be better than them.

Jb

Tsun in the streets

Please check the text: your goal in the pokemon world is to fill the pokedex. There may be a bunch of battling, but the outright stated goal is to fill the dex. Do not even try to dispute this.

This automatically disqualifies Silver, as in the game he does not attempt to fill the dex.

Now then, note that Blue treats filling the dex as second to his massive ego pokemon battling skillz; in other words, that disqualifies him as well.

Due to this, if we are to continue to use the term "rival" to describe Blue, Silver, and Barry, we're going to have to use the other definitions. The ones I pointed out. The ones that do not in any way describe Blue and Silver.

Now then, let's look at the other definitions. companion, associate, equal, peer.

Hmm... you know, that last one looks rather familiar to me... but where... oh, right.

Would you look at that. Rival means peer! Which means The Musician's entire argument fails. Good job.

Also, while we're at it, about that quote in the lake; summarizing does not mean completely changing its meaning.

Here we go.......... dude first peer and rival dont mean the same thing and you attempt to use a dictionary entry to prove it was epic fail. Next just cause blue was a douche doesn't mean he put his pokedex job 2nd at the fourth battle he already had like 4 times as many pokemon as the player so dont give that 2nd to his ego crap.

Now when gold first set out it was to deliver a egg after that back at lab elm seen how much the starter grew with gold so he suggested that gold take the pokemon league challenge. I REPEAT THE POKEMON LEAGE CHALLENGE. which basically is trying to become strongest by beating the best(gyms,e4). Silvers goal lets see..... TO BE THE STRONGEST. both had the same goal but different ways of attaining it. their goal had nothing to do with filling the dex if oak wasn't there he would have not even got the dex and since elm suggested he go and not oak means oaks dex came 2nd like a after game side quest.com

Last....as u probably notice the game is no longer about filling the dex just batting with what you like. thats y they added contest to use what u like in a different environment. not to catch em all.

The Musician

Heracross trainer

My God... for the sake of the human race, I hope you are trolling me right now...

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Here we go.......... dude first peer and rival dont mean the same thing and you attempt to use a dictionary entry to prove it was epic fail.

...WHAT?

Dude, look at those Webster entries: ONE OF THE DEFINITIONS OF RIVAL IS PEER.

READ.

Next just cause blue was a douche doesn't mean he put his pokedex job 2nd at the fourth battle he already had like 4 times as many pokemon as the player so dont give that 2nd to his ego crap.

One notes that despite having "4 times as much pokemon" as you, he's far more interested in just insulting and battling you. But whatever, I'll give you this.

Now when gold first set out it was to deliver a egg after that back at lab elm seen how much the starter grew with gold so he suggested that gold take the pokemon league challenge. I REPEAT THE POKEMON LEAGE CHALLENGE. which basically is trying to become strongest by beating the best(gyms,e4). Silvers goal lets see..... TO BE THE STRONGEST. both had the same goal but different ways of attaining it. their goal had nothing to do with filling the dex if oak wasn't there he would have not even got the dex and since elm suggested he go and not oak means oaks dex came 2nd like a after game side quest.com

One notes that Oak entrusted Gold with the Pokedex, in the apparent wish for him to complete it. One also notes that the main goal of the entire franchise is to complete the dex. As I said, don't even try to dispute this.

Last....as u probably notice the game is no longer about filling the dex just batting with what you like. thats y they added contest to use what u like in a different environment. not to catch em all.

....I really hope you're kidding here.

As to the Musician, I have no idea how me proving Rival means Peer is trolling. Trolling is posting to get an emotion response. So I believe you should check up on your definitions.