• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else think Pokemon need to take a step back?

Floette

Fennekin
I am just tired of the slowness of it all. I mean, c'mon, we need some Gen 7 info...?

DarthVader

I think that the Generation 6 graphics look beautiful, but I must preferred the Generation 4 graphics to Generation 5 because the Pokemon in the latter looked horribly blocky and pixelated.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Personally I don't really like the feel of the 3D games such as b/w/b2/w2
because I prefer to have it old school like heart gold and soul silver had the balance perfected( enough change to make it interesting but not enough to completely change the experience) just thought i'd get that out there. Anyone feel the same?
Well... Your entitled to your own opinion. But if theres one thing Pokemon does need to take a step back on its the ridiculous move sets some Pokemon have! How the heck can Zapdos learn Heat Wave!? That kinda defeats the purpose of Moltris don't it?

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
I think pokemon games need to take a step back in many aspects, but graphics is not one of them. On the contrary, I think the world-building and immersion will be much stronger in a 3D environment. Especially if physical attacks mean the attacker actually moves towards the defendant (as shown in the trailer).

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Personally I don't really like the feel of the 3D games such as b/w/b2/w2
because I prefer to have it old school like heart gold and soul silver had the balance perfected( enough change to make it interesting but not enough to completely change the experience) just thought i'd get that out there. Anyone feel the same?

With the pokémon going in 3D I can finally see how Charizard uses Air slash in battle something that sprite didn't explain and I had to use my imagination or the animé.

Furthermore with the pokémon going 3D some pokémon will no longer have horrible sprite like Charizard and his long neck.

I don't mind seeing a transition to 3D, however, I DO mind it when they look all trashy and jpeged like what we've seen in the trailer. Why's it gotta look like that?

When you were watching the trailer did you not see the small print saying that this wasn't the finished product?

Sure, people are going to keep tossing around that they still have months before final release, and so they have time to step up the graphics, but do you REALLY believe that they will?

Of course they will since this will the first main series pokémon game that is 100% 3D and for the 3DS.

Furthermore their track record would seem to suggest that they will.

Raguna

Magikarp. The best.
I love the way Pokémon is headed. Believe me, GameFreak knows what it's doing. I mean, the stylized graphics look great to me! It makes the game look timeless. I mean, this type of art direction can create some backlash at first, but the true fans know how to admire it. It's kinda like The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker. When it came out a lot of people criticized, but now a lot of people learned to respect the cell shaded graphics on that game. And, seriously people, 3DS graphics seen on a PC sucks. It's way better when you actually see them on the 3DS. At least it is like that with most 3DS Titles!

xEryChan

Demon Child
What do you mean by 'take a step back?'

I personally think the games are just fun. I had a blast playing the Black & White and Black 2 & White games. The games were a lot of fun and I think Pokemon's fine the way it is.

Cutty

Forever now
I prefer a more advanced generation as well. Especially for gameplay convenience.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I love the way Pokémon is headed. Believe me, GameFreak knows what it's doing. I mean, the stylized graphics look great to me! It makes the game look timeless. I mean, this type of art direction can create some backlash at first, but the true fans know how to admire it. It's kinda like The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker. When it came out a lot of people criticized, but now a lot of people learned to respect the cell shaded graphics on that game. And, seriously people, 3DS graphics seen on a PC sucks. It's way better when you actually see them on the 3DS. At least it is like that with most 3DS Titles!

True to that. For me, Cel shaded graphics match well with pokemon. Just like sprites back then. It is true that you can't change all at ones for some of us. But I would say that it is similar to playing on a new brand of consoles. Hate at first. Respect later on.

That is pokemon's view too. What better example than Gen 3? Remember those days where the fans of the pat 2 generations argued that they cn't transfer their favorite pokes from Kanto and Johto?

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I will say that I'm surprised Nintendo never exploited the 3DS' graphics until now. The graphics look better than any other pokemon handheld, and I can't wait to see more info.

I will say that I'm surprised Nintendo never exploited the 3DS' graphics until now. The graphics look better than any other pokemon handheld, and I can't wait to see more info.

Well they've been working on these games for quite some time, now, The Pokemon Company has had the 3D hardware since before the 3DS hit retail.
That means we're in for something pretty epic come Gen 6.

Zachmac

Now, if everyone decided to take a step back when something seemed too different, how will we ever get forward?

Either you risk the negative effect of changing, or you don't change at all, I say.

Now, if everyone decided to take a step back when something seemed too different, how will we ever get forward?

Either you risk the negative effect of changing, or you don't change at all, I say.

Wise words.
What's great is that no matter how much things change, you can always dust off your old GBA cartridges and pop 'em in for old times' sake.
You could do the same with your GBC cartridges, I guess, but good luck getting them to function properly. If I so much as tap my GBC while playing Yellow verison, the whole file erases. :p

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)

This is very well said.
Pokemon fans will be Pokemon fans. When we have 2D sprites, everyone wants 3D and when we finally get 3D, everyone goes all nostalgic on 2D. Seriously, how is having 3D graphics a step back ? It had to happen sometime, and this is the right time.
Pokemon fans worry too much about the state of Pokemon. Pokemon couldn't have found a better developer than GF. Game Freak has done very well all these years. We just need to sit back and enjoy their games, and not worry about the direction it's going, coz it's going well. :)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The graphics are fine, they're a significant step up while still remaining Pokemon-y. There's no need to stay with 2D.

Unredemption

Maintaining a 2D graphic style on the 3DS is like buying an Aventador and driving it in the city during rush hour. Sure, you'd get a kick out of it but you're not experiencing the full potential of the hardware.

The core of the games (grid-based movement, turn-based strategy, Pokemon) still remains despite the graphical changes. Sure, we'd miss the sprites and stuff but it's going to be an interesting and refreshing advancement. Trust Game Freak, they haven't truly disappointed yet.

AnakBaé

I understand, but its like saying the "All new pokemon generations are sucks except Gen 1 & Gen 2" because they're old school.
Of course GF need to keep up with the current standard in order to make the game more appealing.

Hilda

I understand, but its like saying the "All new pokemon generations are sucks except Gen 1 & Gen 2" because they're old school.
Of course GF need to keep up with the current standard in order to make the game more appealing.

No, you're wrong. He never said anything like that. He said Heartgold and Soulsilvers graphics were good. It means, it is better than the first 3 gen of the games.