• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else think Pokemon need to take a step back?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Nope, system with 480p graphics (3D ones no less) should use 3D models. There goes the need of a stadium game (unless it's developed by a third party that's great with 1080p graphics, are fans of the competitive scene, and know how to give an outstanding online experience).

You fan of classic all sprite graphics? I don't blame you, some companies respect them, just look at BlazBlue. Though with the 3D console titles, everyone is ecstatic to see their creatures brawl on a big screen. No need for a good plot or handful of sidequests? Pokémon has been running on running on its creative system of collectable customizable creatures and sooner or later, this is going to get stale. Why not follow suit of the other big name RPG studios and have a good plot and sidequests? It won't hurt the fans who play it just because of how unique the battle system is.
BlazBlue: I remember it for other reasons... Taokaka and Boobie Lady Litchi partly as I've got the PSP version of the first game. But in that case only the consoles and the PC could support 3D if the game had support in the first place. Which they sadly don't as the "world" isn't in 3d like the FPS that are in 3D.

I don't mind seeing a transition to 3D, however, I DO mind it when they look all trashy and jpeged like what we've seen in the trailer. Why's it gotta look like that?
That's because you're seeing a Frame from a video that is being compressed so people can see it online. Chances are it been recompressed about 3 or 4 times before most people can see it. Youtube Videos are really compressed, but many people don't notice party as most of the "compression artefacts" as they generally last only fractions of a second. Also you're seeing one 3DS Pixel being magnified to be about 4 or more Screen pixels.

The best way to see the video is Via the 3DS eShop, which shows the Trailer at 90% actual size. (The trailer is the exact same one that is shown on websites.)

None of those artifacts will be seen in game, mainly as they're are result of putting it online, not the game.

However, If don't take your said as exactly what you mean.. Textures being images are often needed to be compressed, but given the nature of most of the Pokémon designs this shouldn't be noticeable. As the Model maker for the Unknown and Luvdisc in my signature, it know exactly how it's made. I can say that there are no texture images used. Lucario has one or two.

Cressy

Staying with the old school sprites in this day and age would greatly hinder Game Freak. A lot of people want to move onto 3D models. I myself included. This new gen most likely won't be perfect. It's the first main game on the 3DS. But even then it would still be a great accomplishment for them. And people, Nintendo didn't make Pokemon -_- it's game freak and the pokemon company... Like seriously. Why do so many people say that?

it's been like 15 years! it's time for a new step man! We've had plenty of games like what you speak of..

Agree! Every step forward by the creators no matter how small is always good, now it's like instead of jogging they are sprinting and I can't wait to get my hands on the finished product!!

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Well... Your entitled to your own opinion. But if theres one thing Pokemon does need to take a step back on its the ridiculous move sets some Pokemon have! How the heck can Zapdos learn Heat Wave!? That kinda defeats the purpose of Moltris don't it?

Does Crobat defeat the purpose of Ho-Oh just because they can both learn it? All they're doing is blowing hot air at the target; they don't need to be a Fire-type in order to do that. Besides, Zapdos and Moltres are completely separate Pokémon; sharing one particular move isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Does Crobat defeat the purpose of Ho-Oh just because they can both learn it? All they're doing is blowing hot air at the target; they don't need to be a Fire-type in order to do that. Besides, Zapdos and Moltres are completely separate Pokémon; sharing one particular move isn't going to make that much of a difference.
Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it! And Picture this! Imagine if Zapdos could use Heat Wave and Discharge in the second Pokemon Movie! It would've crushed both Moltres and Articuno hands down!

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it!

I think the idea is that the Pokemon flaps its wings or generates a wind, and the intense vibration of the air molecules generates heat. That's why gliding Pokemon, like Gliscor, or Pokemon without wings, like Dodrio, don't get it.

also Zapdos could've easily crushed both considering they're both weak to its STAB, js

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it! And Picture this! Imagine if Zapdos could use Heat Wave and Discharge in the second Pokemon Movie! It would've crushed both Moltres and Articuno hands down!

It's seriously one Fire-type attack. And it's not even supposed to be Moltres' signature move or anything. Just because Linoone an learn Surf, does that mean there's no point to every other Water-type that can learn it?

Mefista

I hate fujoshi
I prefer 2d. I hate how everything except cheap **** for applebrains and "indie" games is 3d now. I want Heroes of might and magic to be like part II. And Pokemon-like GSC /opinion

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
I personally enjoy the newer pokemon games, i grew up with pokemon, i watched the first episode of the show the day it came out, and have been playing the games since they were released. Change is a good thing, and i like that they are using the 3DS features to their advantage. I have many many good memories of the old pokemon games, but, sometimes evolution takes place, and for something to feel a bit more fresh, it needs to evolve.

I look forward to pokemon x and y, and will be there right when they are released, and will pre-order them, so i don't have to worry about not getting a copy.

gliscor&yanmega

I really don't care for graphics and that, so long as I can look at it and it doesn't look like a mess to me I'm fine.

However, I don't see any reason why they should step back, the franchise is just evolving just like the Pokemon do themselves.

I personally like the new games, and I can't relate to anything under 4th gen., game wise. I always liked Pokemon, but being born in very late 1998, I never got the early generations. I got interested in Pokemon halfway through the second generation. I was a very good TCG player from KG-3rd grade. I was never allowed to play video games, until I got a Gamecube. The first game I ever got was Pokemon Colosseum, then the next year XD: GoD. The year after that, I got a DS Lite, to which I got Pokemon Pearl. Then I got HG. Then SS, then a DSi XL, then Black, and never got B2/W2. So I'm happy with the roots I have in Pokemon, but I like the new gens. Sorry for the whole 'Origin/Backstory'.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
It's seriously one Fire-type attack. And it's not even supposed to be Moltres' signature move or anything. Just because Linoone an learn Surf, does that mean there's no point to every other Water-type that can learn it?
Linoone is a Normal Type so it can learn a variety of moves But Zapdos is A Flying and Electric type It just shouldn't have the ability to exhale hot breath! Only Pokemon with a heat sack should be able to do that! I'm sorry but Zapdos is WAY overpowered with Heat Wave the only Pokemon that can possibly stand up to that are the Rock and Ground Types.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Linoone is a Normal Type so it can learn a variety of moves But Zapdos is A Flying and Electric type It just shouldn't have the ability to exhale hot breath! Only Pokemon with a heat sack should be able to do that!

but

I think the idea is that the Pokemon flaps its wings or generates a wind, and the intense vibration of the air molecules generates heat. That's why gliding Pokemon, like Gliscor, or Pokemon without wings, like Dodrio, don't get it.

I'm sorry but Zapdos is WAY overpowered with Heat Wave the only Pokemon that can possibly stand up to that are the Rock and Ground Types.

But guys like Garchomp, Hydreigon, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Lucario, Zoroark, and Landorus, which have unresisted or near-unresisted coverage, are perfectly tolerable.

It's not like Zapdos has STAB on Heat Wave.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
I don't get it. Fans complain about not having 3D, but when we finally get 3D they complain about not having 2D. Will they ever be happy? :/

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Linoone is a Normal Type so it can learn a variety of moves But Zapdos is A Flying and Electric type It just shouldn't have the ability to exhale hot breath! Only Pokemon with a heat sack should be able to do that! I'm sorry but Zapdos is WAY overpowered with Heat Wave the only Pokemon that can possibly stand up to that are the Rock and Ground Types.

At this point, you're just trolling.

I don't get it. Fans complain about not having 3D, but when we finally get 3D they complain about not having 2D. Will they ever be happy? :/

No, in fact, they will not.

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
I think it's okay to not like the 3D (I personally love it) but Pokemon needs to keep up to date with everyone else. If they stick to their old format, it'll get old and they'll lose money from less people introducing themselves to the fandom. It's like when they switched to DS platform. I'm sure there were people who didn't like it, but could you imagine if they were still making GameBoy games because a few fans didn't want to change? Just play the older games. There are way too many Pokemon games to count that come in the form you like. c:

jack xx munchlax

pro battle trainer
Yes, I get where most of you are coming from but what I meant to say was that it's such a big step in one go, i'd much rather them make smaller changes but a lot of them if that makes sense but yeah, thanks for your opinions I think i'm going to wait until the game is in my hands before I speculate any further.

jakovu

Yes, I get where most of you are coming from but what I meant to say was that it's such a big step in one go, i'd much rather them make smaller changes but a lot of them if that makes sense but yeah, thanks for your opinions I think i'm going to wait until the game is in my hands before I speculate any further.

Not really, there have been 3D elements since D/P. Just look at Castelia City!.