• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else think that the Ash vs Alain Kalos League Final was the best animated 6v6 battle?

So honestly, I was watching the Kalos League final battle between Ash and Alain and I legitimately think that its the best animated 5v5 battle ever.

The biggest reason why I think it's been overlooked is that Ash lost, but it was an amazing final all in all IMO.

The Sky Battle between Talonflame and Unfezant was visually impressive with the 3D camera in full flow.

And I think that AG vs MCX is the best-animated battle out of all of them, only compared to AG vs MS.

The Kalos League final in general I think has been unfairly treated and if Ash had won, this battle would have got more credit than it already deserves

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Yeah, it had stunning visuals, great counters and strategies, and the camera was just beautiful. ash vs sawyer was a close second, though. you could tell the animators were going all out right from the start. especially in mega sceptile vs ash greninja

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
5v5? It was a 6v6, and anyways, yes, definitely, iwane brought out his A game here in 37 (even more impressive given his last episode was 35, this guy must have some sort of animating superpowers or time pausing) and ohashi did too in 38, hopefully they do too for the alola league

5v5? It was a 6v6, and anyways, yes, definitely, iwane brought out his A game here in 37 (even more impressive given his last episode was 35, this guy must have some sort of animating superpowers or time pausing) and ohashi did too in 38, hopefully they do too for the alola league

Ye my bad I'm dumb :D. I edited

Let's hope

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Animation wise, yeah, top of the class.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah I've always felt this way. The result aside, the Ash vs Alain battle as a whole was gripping, and the brilliant animation aided in giving that feeling. In the first half, the standout was definitely the aerial battle between Unfezant and Talonflame. The 3D camera there was utilized really well. I actually liked all the battles, but the standout was MCX vs Ash Greninja. Each blow, such as Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Greninja evading with Double Team and Cut, and my favourite being the part where Greninja tries to block a flurry of Thunderpunches from MCX with its Shuriken.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
May I add something? The way that Tyranitar and Pikachu faced each other, and that beautiful transition into the ending shot of the first half of the battle was pretty good for me:)

Genaller

Silver Soul
If Ash vs Paul SL is Atsuhiro Tomioka’s magnum opus, then Ash vs Alain KL is Shinzo Fujita’s magnum opus.

I think this battle is especially underrated in how well it was narratively built up throughout the league (in particular XYZ 32 and 36) though since we’re talking visual quality this battle was practically perfect... except for the final scene. MC-X had 1 of the most half-hearted staggers I’ve ever seen in the show and did a horrible job of “selling” the match after it was over (had no visible bruises and showed no sign of exhaustion whatsoever). Compare that to Ash’s Infernape who couldn’t even stand with its own power after the match with Paul; that’s how you sell! I honestly think the animators didn’t have their hearts in it for that scene because of how upset they were that Ash lost (we know that when the episode aired several animators complained about the outcome).

The move interactions we got in MC-X vs A-G were Flamethrower vs Double Team, Dragon Claw vs Water Shuriken, Dragon Claw vs Aerial Ace, Flamethrower vs Cut, Blast Burn vs Water Shuriken, Dragon Claw vs Cut, Thunder Punch vs Water Shuriken (this was my favorite) and Final Blast Burn vs Giant Water Shuriken. I think the match should’ve gone longer to give it a more drawn out feel with additional move interactions like Thunder Punch vs Cut and Thunder Punch vs Aerial Ace. In addition to this if MC-X had properly sold how grueling the match was then honestly I’d have put Ash vs Alain KL on the same pedestal as Ash vs Paul SL.

As far as a comparison to Ash vs Sawyer goes the vs Alain “non-(Ace vs Ace)” battles were hands down superior though A-G vs MS was the superior climax and quite frankly the GOAT 1 vs 1 in terms of pure visual quality eventhough A-G vs MC-X had more of a “big fight feel” to it. I know I’m being critical of it, but that’s only because I think MC-X vs A-G had significant room for improvement despite how great it was.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Absolutely no doubt. The animation and choreography of the battle was really a class apart from possibly every other battle we have seen in the anime so far, it was simply out of the world to just put it straight. Talonflame vs Unfezant was beyond a shadow of doubt the best epic aerial battle in the history of the anime, and in the end Ash-Greninja vs Mega Charizard X was absolutely stunning animation wise, with each and every more, like Flamethower, Water Shuriken, Dragon Claw, Cut, Aerial Ace, Blast Burn being stopped by Water Shuriken shockwave, MCX falling on the ground being hit by A-G's Aerial Ace shattering the ground surface into pieces, Thunder Punch clashing with Water Shuriken being used melee weapon style, and finally the all-out Blast Burn vs Orange Shuriken with the epic clash of the moves creating a huge impact and explosion throughout the batttlefield.

The only thing that wasn't done well was the post explosion ending moment of the battle, they could've easily shown a close up shot of MCX stumbling before managing to stand instead of showing it from long distance.

Overall, I don't really think that it's even much debatable that this was the most epicly animated Pokemon battle in the history of the Pokemon anime and I heavily doubt that too many people would disagree with this.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
If Ash vs Paul SL is Atsuhiro Tomioka’s magnum opus, then Ash vs Alain KL is Shinzo Fujita’s magnum opus.

I think this battle is especially underrated in how well it was narratively built up throughout the league (in particular XYZ 32 and 36) though since we’re talking visual quality this battle was practically perfect... except for the final scene. MC-X had 1 of the most half-hearted staggers I’ve ever seen in the show and did a horrible job of “selling” the match after it was over (had no visible bruises and showed no sign of exhaustion whatsoever). Compare that to Ash’s Infernape who couldn’t even stand with its own power after the match with Paul; that’s how you sell! I honestly think the animators didn’t have their hearts in it for that scene because of how upset they were that Ash lost (we know that when the episode aired several animators complained about the outcome).

The move interactions we got in MC-X vs A-G were Flamethrower vs Double Team, Dragon Claw vs Water Shuriken, Dragon Claw vs Aerial Ace, Flamethrower vs Cut, Blast Burn vs Water Shuriken, Dragon Claw vs Cut, Thunder Punch vs Water Shuriken (this was my favorite) and Final Blast Burn vs Giant Water Shuriken. I think the match should’ve gone longer to give it a more drawn out feel with additional move interactions like Thunder Punch vs Cut and Thunder Punch vs Aerial Ace. In addition to this if MC-X had properly sold how grueling the match was then honestly I’d have put Ash vs Alain KL on the same pedestal as Ash vs Paul SL.

As far as a comparison to Ash vs Sawyer goes the vs Alain “non-(Ace vs Ace)” battles were hands down superior though A-G vs MS was the superior climax and quite frankly the GOAT 1 vs 1 in terms of pure visual quality eventhough A-G vs MC-X had more of a “big fight feel” to it. I know I’m being critical of it, but that’s only because I think MC-X vs A-G had significant room for improvement despite how great it was.
it even led me to theorize that the orange gatorade disk was a healing move (and due to the lighting in A-G's release in xyz 46, when images first came out I thought it was going to be confirmed, as I thought ash and greninja would use all of their energy to heal the forest and lose the transformation)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Calling it best battle is little over, more like one of the best battle, probably third best after ash vs paul and ash vs sawyer match.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Visually stimulating? Yes. Choreography? I was super bored.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
List some battles that were better choreographed than Unfezant v Talonflame and MCX v AG.

I'd say the only battle that could be better choreographed would be AG vs MS
talonflame and frogadier vs meowstic x2 (then again, at least IMO, that's THE best gym battle, period)
maybe pikachu vs mega lucario?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Also I suppose for most Pokemon fans, this match had a thousand times more emotional weight and build-up then ever before. I hear a lot of people mention Ash vs. Paul but after thinking about it. I'd say the difference was that Ash vs. Paul meant a lot to those who watch the entire 4th gen. Ash vs. Alain however meant a lot to those who watched the entire Pokemon anime series. Afterall. The anime production crew must be doing something right to see so many Pokemon fans feel legitimately disappointed, cry out in fanboy and fangirl anger, of the outcome after so many fails previously. Perhaps you could say without a doubt that fight meant a lot more to fans as a whole than any other fight previously. Whatever you think regardless, I think we can agree that it's a anime Pokemon battle that's too commonly talked about these days out of all the other Pokemon battles to come out of the anime.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Also I suppose for most Pokemon fans, this match had a thousand times more emotional weight and build-up then ever before
This is the main reason i loved this fight. Along with looking as beautiful as all of the other Kalos League battles, I was emotionally invested in this Battle and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also I love Alain and Ash-Greninja.

List some battles that were better choreographed than Unfezant v Talonflame and MCX v AG.
Still can't get over the fact Alain has an Unfezant. He has a Mega-Charizard X, a Tyranitar and a Metagross and an Unfezant? It looks so ugly and there are some many other flying types Alain could've used (As you can tell, I don't like Unfezant that much).