• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else think that the Ash vs Alain Kalos League Final was the best animated 6v6 battle?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
This is the main reason i loved this fight. Along with looking as beautiful as all of the other Kalos League battles, I was emotionally invested in this Battle and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also I love Alain and Ash-Greninja.

Still can't get over the fact Alain has an Unfezant. He has a Mega-Charizard X, a Tyranitar and a Metagross and an Unfezant? It looks so ugly and there are some many other flying types Alain could've used (As you can tell, I don't like Unfezant that much).

Yeah it was an epic battle definitely one of the best battles in anime's history, just the end result made it more epic for all the bad reasons.

Makes sense knowing alain's persoality it would have been more sense to give him something like pidgeot or braviary instead of unfezean, at least it was a male one and not female one.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Makes sense knowing alain's persoality it would have been more sense to give him something like pidgeot or braviary instead of unfezean

They would've worked so much better with Alain's image (Unfezant doesn't scream "Passionate" and "Badass"does it). Staraptor could have also worked really well to.

Genaller

Silver Soul
They would've worked so much better with Alain's image (Unfezant doesn't scream "Passionate" and "Badass"does it). Staraptor could have also worked really well to.
Unfezzant “fit” Alain because of his mask symbolizing how Alain was a loner who hid his true feelings and distanced himself from those he loved. They actually did a great job when designing Alain’s team as far as symbolism goes (though perhaps not as far as type weaknesses go).

I think another reason for why the tension in Ash vs Alain was much higher as well as for why the reaction to the result was far greater than that of any other battle was because the online Pokémon anime community genuinely didn’t know the outcome prior to the episodes airing. In contrast for a battle like Ash vs Paul it was already known that Ash was in the semi-finals before it concluded, so everyone knew Ash was going to win and advance. Similarly everyone knew Ash was going to loose to Tobias and Cameron based on Ash facing them in a round before the finals in the concluding league episode (which can be inferred from spoilers confirming the next episode not having anything to do with the league), hence eventhough on paper those 2 cases should’ve been more controversial, there wasn’t nearly as much outrage for them as there was Alain since most just accepted that Ash was going to loose before the fact.

Ash vs Alain; however, had the luxury (or rather curse) of being a final as well as having succeeding episodes that didn’t give any indication regarding the outcome whatsoever (matter of fact nothing about the Team Flare climax changes even if Ash had won). Furthermore there was actually a lot of evidence in support of Ash winning (narrative closure since Ash hadn’t previously beat Alain, A-G doing really well against a champion, Ash being at his most driven to win a league even explicitly promising his mom that he’d win in BW’s final episode, click-bait title, click-bait Giant Water Shuriken), so many people (myself included) had our hopes up right until the episode aired which was why when those hopes were suddenly crushed, the ensuing salt storm was so extreme.

Last edited:

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Unfezzant “fit” Alain because of his mask symbolizing how Alain was a loner who hid his true feelings and distanced himself from those he loved. They actually did a great job when designing Alain’s team as far as symbolism goes (though perhaps not as far as type weaknesses go).

I think another reason for why the tension in Ash vs Alain was much higher as well as for why the reaction to the result was far greater than that of any other battle was because the online Pokémon anime community genuinely didn’t know the outcome prior to the episodes airing. In contrast for a battle like Ash vs Pail it was already known that Ash was in the semi-finals before it concluded, so everyone knew Ash was going to win in advance. Similarly everyone knew Ash was going to loose to Tobias and Cameron based on Ash facing them in a round before the finals in the concluding league episode (which can be inferred from spoilers confirming the next episode not having anything to do with the league), hence eventhough on paper those 2 cases should’ve been more controversial, there wasn’t nearly as much outrage for them as there was Alain since most just accepted that Ash was going to loose before the fact.

Ash vs Alain; however, had the luxury (or rather curse) of being a final as well as having succeeding episodes that didn’t give any indication regarding the outcome whatsoever (matter of fact nothing about the Team Flare climax changes even if Ash had won). Furthermore there was actually a lot of evidence in support of Ash winning (narrative closure since Ash hadn’t previously beat Alain, A-G doing really well against a champion, Ash being at his most driven to win a league even explicitly promising his mom that he’d win in BW’s final episode, click-bait title, click-bait Giant Water Shuriken), so many people (myself included) had our hopes up right until the episode aired which was why when those hopes were suddenly crushed, the ensuing salt storm was so extreme.

Huh, never thought about it like that....
(Still hate Unfezant though)

SatoSereFan224888

It was great but to be honest, that should have ended in a draw. It was too close to call so it would have been better if the final result was a draw.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Ash & Alain would have been declared co-champions.
No Buznut would have done his usual introduction schtick, get hit by Ash-Greninja and Mega Charizard X, audience boos both, and Buznut is declared the champion instead!

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
No Buznut would have done his usual introduction schtick, get hit by Ash-Greninja and Mega Charizard X, audience boos both, and Buznut is declared the champion instead!
who is buznut?

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
I guess it's an insert of themselves....? read this really bad fanfic where this protagonist that comes out of nowhere beats ash and alain without a sweat, which is to say...what? what a mary sue

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
there's no such thing as a co-champion in pokemon tho. i feel like the battle would probably just go overtime in the event of a tie
how do you do overtime with 6 ko'd pokemon in each side? postpone the rest of the match until the pokemon are healed up?

Genaller

Silver Soul
Best animated? Maybe.

Nonsensical in nature? Oh yeah. (Exhibit A: Saiyan Hawlucha. What was that?)
It was the symbolic representation of Hawlucha getting “pumped”. I explain it in another thread when discussing Ash’s skill feats:

Had Hawlucha use the Ice floor created by Weavile in order to skid in the same (vector) direction as Weavile’s attacks thereby reducing their damage (tell me if this or any other point need further explanation). For this point I’d also add that Hawlucha gets “pumped” from being “perceived” as being able to tank his foe’s attacks which of course allows him to battle to his full potential, so it is also notable that Ash was able to adapt to Hawlucha’s battle style by reducing the damage he takes from the foe’s attacks, but still maintaining the perception of Hawlucha’s perseverance

The main “nonsensical” aspects of that battle were the ending with MC-X’s half-hearted staggering and subsequent no-selling of how grueling the battle was.

Hammad80

I think it was equally as good as ash vs Sawyer.
Overall it was fantastic, the only problem being that greninja vs charizard was too short.
I can’t believe how so many people thought greninja could beat Alain’s Mega X. If anything, I expected it to be a tie. I knew there were small chances of greninja winning, but I still exptected it to be longer.

Anyways, I was more salty at Goodra losing to Bisharp.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
if only goodra had learned a new move that went with his battle style well..I could see him learning either sludge wave or flamethrower to help him more in certain situations over ice beam

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
The first part of the battle is entirely key animated by Iwane Masa'aki (who did all of the key animation for DP #187-188) with the storyboard and episode direction by Asada Yuuji (Iwane's usual episode director). Part Two was storyboarded and directed by Iijima Masakatsu with Nishiya Yasushi and Koyama Tomohiro as his animation supervisors. The good stuff was by Nishiya. Iwane definitely outdid himself considering how much new animation was used in the episode. I think Oohashi Aito's take on Satoshi versus Shouta two episodes prior was better than Nishiya's episode but it was still a really good episode. I'm looking forward to the staff rotation for the Alola League because I think we're in for something nuts now that the series has access to even more good animators than during XY.