1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else think the show originally intended the Kanto starters to be split between the trio?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by PineapplePizza, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Evolution in the anime are not about as much a pokémon battled, if the writers want, they will evolve a Pokémon with only one battle.

PineapplePizza likes this.
  2. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

Honestly, my thinking was there was plans to divide the starters up between the 3 and the decision to just give Ash all of the starters to advertise them better was made when Charmander the Stray Pokemon was already in production which is the last minute “You should take it Ash” felt so tacked on and last minute assuming this theory is true at all I just figured the plan was scrapped before they got to story boarding Here Comes the Squirtle Squad which is why the episode didnt feel like it was aiming to give Misty Squirtle the way the previous episode did with Brock and Charmander.

The only reason I think Squirtle may have beem at least considered for Misty is that it would make sense if Brock got Charmander it would be off kiltered for Ash to just get 2 of the 3 and the water starter fits Misty perfectly

3. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

And they kinda of did your proposed collection in the I Choose You movie. Ash tends and takes care of that Charmander nearly all by himself (Sorrel only helped with the medicine and tips)

Ash's Noibat/Noivern comes to my mind.

4. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

No. I believe Satoshi was going to get them all from the very beginning. The producers choose Pikachu for a reason. They believe that if Ash were to get an official starter like in the games, it would create a particular bias for players who picked that starter and alienated the other two. Hence why Pikachu was the starter because it was a Pokémon that everyone could have.

As such, a distribution of the Kanto starters among Ash, Brock, and Misty defeats the whole point. Obviously, whatever Ash has will have primary focus over his companions’ Pokémon. And really, all three Kanto starters represent OS Ash’s character in some way that makes them compatible with him.

Bulbasaur’s stubbornness and willingness to protect others.

Charmander’s status as a runt who has hidden potential that people underestimate.

And Squirtle’s carefree attitude and mischievous personality.

All of them are perfect for Ash in their own way. I can’t really see them with anyone but Ash.

5. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

@shoz999 I thinking that Satoshi/Ash might still going to get charmander as it is fit him and i think that his own bulbasaur fit blue if she is anything like her Pokesup counterpart as his move pool could definitely useful for her thief lifestyle and Shigur/Gary might get Satoshi/Ash's squirtle as he is a jerky like his own game counterpart.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Not the original series. But I do think they may have considered it for Gen 2. With Gen 1, I think they felt the starters would be the most popular and marketable representatives for their types. If they did plan on splitting them up, Squirtle would go to Misty and Bulbasaur would go to Brock I think. As for their type replacements, I could see Ash getting Oddish(it's similar, a common Grass Pokemon you can expect to get) and either his canonical Krabby or Slowpoke

If Gen 2 had the plan of the trio getting a starter each, Misty would probably get Totodile and I'd have Brock get Cyndaquil. Ash's starter types, I'd see them being Houndor(it would serve as a good introduction for the new Dark type) and Marill(one of the featured new Pokemon) or Wooper

7. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

Misty getting Totodile was even set up in the episode, lol. They should have just let her get it.

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  8. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Toshiya Sato vs Goro Honda

Misty getting Totodile was such a missed opportunity

LilligantLewis likes this.
  9. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

Considering Charmander the Stray Pokemon focused on BROCK being concerned with Charmander I’m not sure why you would think that

10. Redstar45

That shouldn't be thing as writer-director wanted Ash have Charzard as shuďõ-san make it big deal out of it in the Pokemon the animation novelization

11. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I would also say that the starters in Kanto were less ambiguous than the recent starters. I mean right now, they designed the Fennekin and Popplio lines for girls, and they thought it would be odd for Ash to have them.

12. Redstar45

He got a snivy as female starter and beyleaf anyone ?

LilligantLewis likes this.
  13. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I'm talking about their designs. Even if Ash's Snivy & Bayleaf are female, their designs don't scream female until the writers confirmed them, unlike Primarina which is a freaking mermaid.

14. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Bayleaf looks very feminine to me. Chikorita even more.

Redstar45 likes this.
  15. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I think snivy's personality totally suited ash's not to mention its battle style as well.

Redstar45 likes this.
  16. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

At least totodile took part in the league and one gym battle, he would have been regressed just like popplio, mudkip and chespin, it was a gag pokemon maybe that early in the series writers didn't know how to handle the gag pokemon becaue the later gag pokemon like piplup and oshowatt were far more valuable both in battles/contests and in focus too. Still just like i said starters should be reserved to ash or pokegirls with active goals and she is not one of them, writers just dont know how to handle type based goal.

Redstar45 likes this.
  17. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Not just type based goals, all goals with no tournament. The anime could learn something from One Piece. Instead of using terms such as '' x type master '', which is very vague, use '' best x-type user in the world''. Rivals with the same goal, a final oponent(the best x type user in the region), maybe a rival who despises the type loved by the protagonist.

maartjeverhoef likes this.