• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone else thinks Hop/Marnie will be the Hau of this Gen?

Red and Blue

Pretty much. Their big bros Leon and possibly Piers exist so they'll get a mention or brief appearance late into the anime. But I doubt they will be as prominent as they were in the games

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
I don't really care for Marnie and I'm mostly indifferent to Hop, but I'd rather they don't appear. Nobody deserves to be like anime Hau.

D

Deleted member 384931

Almost have given up on Gym Leaders of Galar and Marnie/Hop appearing

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They’ve been doing this for most rivals for awhile unfortunately. It’s not a coincidence that most of the fan favorites in terms of Ash’s rivals are those who show up early on in their respective series (Gary, Paul, Gladion). I honestly only care about Hop out of all the Galar rivals but it’s really awkward having these characters come in last second just to have a battle or two with Ash. SM Hau is the biggest offender as he’d fit right in the general tone of the series. I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll get more Galar representation in before the eventual tide of Sinnoh promotion eclipses Galar

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Marnie would most likely be a CotD opponent for Ash in the WCS... Hop, being someone related to Sonia in the games, will most likely be a Goh's rival like the Hodge guy... I can see Hop possibly joining the PM with Sonia and Peonia...

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Hop’s role is already taken by Gou somewhat so his presence is kind of superfluous with two main boy adventure type characters as the MCs. Unless they give him a personality transplant like with his PokeSpe!incarnation or anime!Hau being less of a food-loving idiot who is bighearted and loves Pokémon to more of a “teenager” feeling character who’s genuinely responsible about battling/training who feels sober on himself.

D

Deleted member 384931

They’ve been doing this for most rivals for awhile unfortunately. It’s not a coincidence that most of the fan favorites in terms of Ash’s rivals are those who show up early on in their respective series (Gary, Paul, Gladion). I honestly only care about Hop out of all the Galar rivals but it’s really awkward having these characters come in last second just to have a battle or two with Ash. SM Hau is the biggest offender as he’d fit right in the general tone of the series. I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll get more Galar representation in before the eventual tide of Sinnoh promotion eclipses Galar
At this point, I dont really care for Hop or Marnie anymore. Goh did alot of stuff Hop did in the games. And same with Bede. And the whole PWC setting doesnt help either. One thing is for sure, if Bede/Marnie/Hop appear, it will be late AND mostly connected to PWC stuff

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
At this point, I dont really care for Hop or Marnie anymore. Goh did alot of stuff Hop did in the games. And same with Bede. And the whole PWC setting doesnt help either. One thing is for sure, if Bede/Marnie/Hop appear, it will be late AND mostly connected to PWC stuff
Yeah it’s really unfortunate because I don’t think having the anime focus on an exclusive tournament should sideline these characters.

Hop would obviously want to face Leon at the top still and I don’t agree with Goh filling his role as they have a lot to differentiate themselves, Marnie’s main goal is to give Spikemuth support which she could do by striving for #1, and Bede easily could be mad at Ash for his role in stopping Rose. It’s a shame because Ash has no rival this series (I don’t see Bea as a standard rival) and it’d be nice to have one

GGuitarGuy95

For real, Hau was the most egregious case of handling a rival character I’ve seen yet.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
For real, Hau was the most egregious case of handling a rival character I’ve seen yet.
The same could be said about Kukui in terms of character handling. The writers exploited his masked persona, but they didn't take advantage of his funny dialogue or the fact he researches moves by sometimes getting hit by them. Outside of his secret identity, he was like any other boring adult and strangely the only one against letting his non-Incineroar Pokemon out to have some air (especially the Lucario he randomly has).