1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone holding out for Upgraded Switch?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Gundam78, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Gundam78

Gundam78 I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!

So I’m stoked for Pokémon Sword and Shield. I don’t own a Nintendo Switch. But I’m a little weary on buying one two years into its product cycle.

I’ve been reading here and there about the piracy issues and Nintendo will launch an upgraded switch to combat it.... along with other upgrades like graphics, etc.

Anyone else pondering the same thing?

keithpetrosky likes this.
  2. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

I’m the same as you, as I haven’t gotten a Switch yet and I’m wondering if there will be a release of a new Switch model later in the year.

Here’s a Reddit post I read that predicts something like a Switch Mini coming out:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re.../why_i_think_nintendo_will_launch_a_nintendo/

The summarize, major points are:

• The release of new versions of consoles for new generation games:
      GBC for Gold and Silver
      GBA SP for Ruby and Sapphire
      DS Lite for Diamond and Pearl
      2DS for X and Y
    • The desire to make the Switch into one-per-person rather than one-per household
    • Considerations of appealing more to children, which involve reduced pricing for the parents to buy console for them, greater durability, and being able to put the console in your pocket
    • Switch is not meant to compete with the Xbox One and PS4, so Nintendo is more likely to focus more on their success of handheld
    • Potential for the Switch to have parts of it reduced/removed to save costs on manufacturing, such as smaller battery and removing the dock, cooling fan and vents, and detachable joy-cons (which is controversial with fans at the moment)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Happy Holidays! Staff Member Moderator

I have one, but I did think about waiting originally, but from what I've read about the new model, I wasn't sure if it was worth paying more for it. So I ended up getting one sooner. Just hoping that it won't leave previous Switch owners in the dust. That's what I'm concerned about at this point.

4. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

Already got one for Super Smash Bros Ultimate but here’s hoping that people who chose to purchase the Switch early is not left out in the cold.

5. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I heard rumors about a Switch Mini. If that comes true, that’s what I’m getting. I don’t have a TV in my room, so I don’t think I will ever use it as a counsel.

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is that right now, there is no "upgraded Switch." Rumors and Reddit and Reddit rumors and rumors about Reddit and Reddits about rumors about Reddit are all well and good (they are not actually well and good, it's all trash) but anyone waiting for an "upgraded Switch" is right now waiting for something that for all intents and purposes does not exist.

That can change and it can change very rapidly, obviously, but it could just as easily - perhaps more easily? - not change any time soon. And if it does change, it's unlikely to be an "upgraded Switch" - that is, a Switch with capabilities beyond the current model - and more likely to be a Switch with some or all of the console/dock components removed and more focus on use as a handheld.

7. Sceptrigon

That’s why OP said “pondering,” not “I’m waiting really badly for a new console to be released soon for Sword/Shield!” It’s all just for discussion purposes. If nothing ends up coming out, then you can rest assured that we’ll be fine.

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t worried as to whether anyone would be fine or not. Was that a concern?

I am, however, saying that anyone still waiting out something that doesn’t exist (yet/at all) could very easily still be waiting out rumors and hearsay a year or two years from now.

9. Sceptrigon

Honestly, why else would you post something like that if that’s not the case?

10. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

I don’t follow. I can be completely unconcerned with what anyone does or doesn’t do while still pointing out the thin pretense of an indefinite wait for something that doesn’t exist, particularly when half the thread is people trying to use all manner of questionable rumors to say “well it COULD be coming.”

Do whatever you like.

11. Sceptrigon

Well just taking the effort of posting shows something, and if you really didn’t care, you obviously wouldn’t have felt the need to post anything at all. But okay.

12. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

I plan on buying a Switch this year. If an upgraded model is announced and released this year, I'll buy that instead.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  13. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Even if the rumour about the Mini Switch turns out to be true, i would have no interest on it whatsoever.

If they come up with a Switch that is as big as this one but more comfortable to use on portable mode and it's battery lasts longer, then i will have interest.

14. DMB1985

DMB1985 Well-Known Member

I don't see Nintendo releasing another version of the Switch for the time being. Two years into it's lifecycle and it's still selling like hotcakes and is set to take the N64's place as their fourth best selling home console (if it hasn't already). Whilst I don't doubt that plans and development for a new model are already in place, I don't it releasing whilst sales are still so good and certainly not in time for Sword and Shield.

15. DaijobuPlease

DaijobuPlease Well-Known Member

If they do reveal a new switch it would be way before the game comes out but probably released after ? Like most peoples guess I also agree with the guess of the Switch Mini to phase out the 3Ds and bring those users to the switch with trade in options (BestBuy Gamestop Amazon do) to get money off the new already lower priced switch Mini. If we get a switch XL with 1080p screen and better inside hardware then it would I guess be a preference. Its like a ps4 vs PS4 pro. ( most people still dont have a 4k tv and even then dont have a true 4k tv which doesnt matter since the Ps4 PRO is upscale 4k anyways)

16. SoulRebel726

SoulRebel726 Well-Known Member

Same, I do not currently own a Switch. There are several games for it I'd like to play in addition to Pokemon, but I also own a gaming PC, a PS4, and an XB1. I have to prioritize my gaming budget a bit. I'm basically waiting until a month or two before Pokemon comes out. I'm curious if a new Switch gets announced by then.

17. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

I waited until about November last year to get one, and only because I had to play LGPE.

18. DSDark

DSDark Breeder

I have a switch however if there is special edition upgraded version for Sword and Shield I do think I'll get that. I'll just trade in my old switch

19. Gundam78

Gundam78 I’ll... I’ll GET YOU!

Same.... I’m a little stingy with my $299 and I would be pissed to buy yesteryear’s hardware at the beginning of a new product cycle

I may just wait until Black Friday

20. PokeMon2.0

PokeMon2.0 Cramorant is too cute for words!

I already have a Switch, and I play it in Handheld Mode.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.