• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone holding out for Upgraded Switch?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Considering the Switch is still selling as candy, Nintendo is not gonna announce a new Switch (Even if its a mini), since that kills the sales for the other one.
Considering that the GBA SP, DSi, 2DS, and New 3DS did not kill the sales of their respective original consoles, I don't think that this a problem.

SoulRebel726

Considering that the GBA SP, DSi, 2DS, and New 3DS did not kill the sales of their respective original consoles, I don't think that this a problem.

Even if it was, why would Nintendo care? People are buying their product in either scenario. I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo's goal was to have more than one Switch per household. What better way to do that than offer different versions of the Switch to appeal to as many people as possible?

Companies don't decide to shelve new product development out of some fear that it will hurt one of their existing products. Innovation and forward progress is the name of the game.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
I'd like a mini Switch or something similar, since I like small, relatively lightweight devices such as the Game Boy Micro. Search it up if you don't know what it is. Things such as extra power/better graphics don't matter as much to me, although they are nice.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Switch to grow old enough to drop below 100 dollars, or maybe reach something as low as 50. This will probably happen in five to ten years or so.

I'm playing the long game. It's a good thing I don't mind spoilers. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
Monozu said:
I'd like a mini Switch or something similar, since I like small, relatively lightweight devices such as the Game Boy Micro.

A lightweight Switch sounds appealing, but my main interest in a new Switch console stems from a monetary perspective since the current version is still kind of pricey. I might be a bit of a cheapskate, but I just want to spend as little as possible on the Switch system since the only games that I'll be playing on it are Shield and Sword

DMB1985

Even if it was, why would Nintendo care? People are buying their product in either scenario. I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo's goal was to have more than one Switch per household. What better way to do that than offer different versions of the Switch to appeal to as many people as possible?

Companies don't decide to shelve new product development out of some fear that it will hurt one of their existing products. Innovation and forward progress is the name of the game.

Whilst the Switch is still selling well it makes no business sense to launch another version. Second version of consoles come out at a time when sales start to fall and the company need to reignite interest. I have no doubt that plans for a second Switch have been in place for years, there is no need for Nintendo to incur the extra costs of putting it into production and marketing it whilst they are still seeing strong sales of the original. And with Nintendo having a line-up that can help continue to drive sales, I can't see them bringing another version to market for a while yet. It just isn't necessary for them.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
A lightweight Switch sounds appealing, but my main interest in a new Switch console stems from a monetary perspective since the current version is still kind of pricey. I might be a bit of a cheapskate, but I just want to spend as little as possible on the Switch system since the only games that I'll be playing on it are Shield and Sword
And likely other mainline games that inevitably become revealed for Switch, such as Sinnoh remakes, and 9th Gen, right?

SoulRebel726

Whilst the Switch is still selling well it makes no business sense to launch another version. Second version of consoles come out at a time when sales start to fall and the company need to reignite interest. I have no doubt that plans for a second Switch have been in place for years, there is no need for Nintendo to incur the extra costs of putting it into production and marketing it whilst they are still seeing strong sales of the original. And with Nintendo having a line-up that can help continue to drive sales, I can't see them bringing another version to market for a while yet. It just isn't necessary for them.

The Switch isn't exactly the king of the video game console market though. The Switch is selling great, sure, but it is still lagging considerably behind the PS4 and Xbox 1. Another version of the Switch to appeal to a wider audience and try to bridge that gap makes a ton of sense. I don't have a Switch right now. Why? Because I have a PS4, and XB1, and a gaming PC. I don't need to dock a Switch on my TV. If a mainline Pokemon game wasn't coming out for it, I wouldn't even consider buying a full priced Switch at all. I would be very interested in a cheaper, mobile only version, however. I'm interested in also getting stuff like Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros, but I'm not buying a full priced Switch to play those.

There are a lot of people in my boat as well. Unless every single video game consumer owns a Switch, there is still room to increase the Switch's reach. It is absolutely in Nintendo's best interest to reach as broad of an audience as possible. They want to get me in their ecosystem, paying their annual fees, buying games on their e-shop, etc. The earlier they can do that, the more money they make. Sony launched the PS4 Slim just less than 3 years after the launch of the PS4, as an example. And PS4 sales never exactly slipped. Since it's been over 2 years since the release of the Switch, hoping for/expecting an alternative version in the near future makes sense.

DMB1985

The Switch isn't exactly the king of the video game console market though. The Switch is selling great, sure, but it is still lagging considerably behind the PS4 and Xbox 1. Another version of the Switch to appeal to a wider audience and try to bridge that gap makes a ton of sense. I don't have a Switch right now. Why? Because I have a PS4, and XB1, and a gaming PC. I don't need to dock a Switch on my TV. If a mainline Pokemon game wasn't coming out for it, I wouldn't even consider buying a full priced Switch at all. I would be very interested in a cheaper, mobile only version, however. I'm interested in also getting stuff like Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros, but I'm not buying a full priced Switch to play those.

There are a lot of people in my boat as well. Unless every single video game consumer owns a Switch, there is still room to increase the Switch's reach. It is absolutely in Nintendo's best interest to reach as broad of an audience as possible. They want to get me in their ecosystem, paying their annual fees, buying games on their e-shop, etc. The earlier they can do that, the more money they make. Sony launched the PS4 Slim just less than 3 years after the launch of the PS4, as an example. And PS4 sales never exactly slipped. Since it's been over 2 years since the release of the Switch, hoping for/expecting an alternative version in the near future makes sense.

Comparing the sales for the first two and a quarter years of the Switch to that of the PS4 and Xbox One for the same period show exactly why there is no need for Nintendo to bring out a new Switch anytime soon. They sit at a similar level to that of the PS4 for the same period and are far higher than those of the Xbox One. The Switch is selling far better then anyone ever expected and continues to do well with global sales for Q1 2019 at a similar level to Q1 2018. When the PS4 Pro launched, PS4 sales had started to slow. They were still good but they needed that boost and that's what they the PS4 Pro did. And it was the same with new versions of the DS and 3DS. They launched when were slowing and needed a boost and not before. The PS4 had also seen a price drop before the launch of the Pro, something we are yet to see with the Switch.

Also, in saying that without Pokémon you probably wouldn't even consider getting a Switch, you are kind of showing why there really isn't a need to launch a new console this year. With both Animal Crossing and Pokémon releasing this year, Nintendo know that they have two games that will sell systems by the bucket load and to people who would otherwise have little interest in owning one. With two system sellers in one year there really isn't any need to bring out a Switch 2.0 yet and I would be surprised if we see one released this year. Given that the Wii 2.0 never happened despite all the rumours, there's no saying another Switch will even happen.

SoulRebel726

Comparing the sales for the first two and a quarter years of the Switch to that of the PS4 and Xbox One for the same period show exactly why there is no need for Nintendo to bring out a new Switch anytime soon. They sit at a similar level to that of the PS4 for the same period and are far higher than those of the Xbox One. The Switch is selling far better then anyone ever expected and continues to do well with global sales for Q1 2019 at a similar level to Q1 2018. When the PS4 Pro launched, PS4 sales had started to slow. They were still good but they needed that boost and that's what they the PS4 Pro did. And it was the same with new versions of the DS and 3DS. They launched when were slowing and needed a boost and not before. The PS4 had also seen a price drop before the launch of the Pro, something we are yet to see with the Switch.

Also, in saying that without Pokémon you probably wouldn't even consider getting a Switch, you are kind of showing why there really isn't a need to launch a new console this year. With both Animal Crossing and Pokémon releasing this year, Nintendo know that they have two games that will sell systems by the bucket load and to people who would otherwise have little interest in owning one. With two system sellers in one year there really isn't any need to bring out a Switch 2.0 yet and I would be surprised if we see one released this year. Given that the Wii 2.0 never happened despite all the rumours, there's no saying another Switch will even happen.

I disagree. I would absolutely have a Switch right now if the right version existed for my situation. It has functionality that I don't need/want. Nintendo themselves has said their goal is to have more than one Switch per household if possible. Having a diverse product line is one way to do that. I would be shocked if they are not actively developing such a thing at this very moment, even if we don't know about it.

I believe we are simply arguing about whether or not it is "time" to release/announce a new version. I'm pretty sure we can agree that new versions are both inevitable and necessary over the life of a console gen. And honestly, it feels like a whole lot of semantics. The Switch has been out for over 2 years. Whether Nintendo deems it necessary to announce a new Switch model in 6 months, 12 months, or 18 months, it's kind of a silly thing to argue about. You seem to be more focused on the timing of such an announcement. I'm speaking in a more general sense.

Edit: Just wanted to add this about the Wii: I don't think that is indicative of anything. That was easily the worst console I ever played and I'm not at all surprised that it didn't have the longevity to necessitate an alternate version of it. The Switch is in a very different place.

BCVM22

If the Wii was the worst console you’ve ever played, I am intensely curious as to what you’ve played that pushed it that far down the list.

SoulRebel726

If the Wii was the worst console you’ve ever played, I am intensely curious as to what you’ve played that pushed it that far down the list.

Most of Nintendo's major consoles, PS gens except 3, all the Xbox gens, numerous generations of PC hardware. Never got around to stuff like the Dreamcast or Genesis. I didn't like the Wii's controls or UI at all. I found it to be a very clunky system. While I don't own a Switch yet, I have used one several times and I don't believe the experiences are all that comparable from my experience. I'm not sure how this is at all relevant to the point I was trying to make though.

DMB1985

I disagree. I would absolutely have a Switch right now if the right version existed for my situation. It has functionality that I don't need/want. Nintendo themselves has said their goal is to have more than one Switch per household if possible. Having a diverse product line is one way to do that. I would be shocked if they are not actively developing such a thing at this very moment, even if we don't know about it.

I believe we are simply arguing about whether or not it is "time" to release/announce a new version. I'm pretty sure we can agree that new versions are both inevitable and necessary over the life of a console gen. And honestly, it feels like a whole lot of semantics. The Switch has been out for over 2 years. Whether Nintendo deems it necessary to announce a new Switch model in 6 months, 12 months, or 18 months, it's kind of a silly thing to argue about. You seem to be more focused on the timing of such an announcement. I'm speaking in a more general sense.

Edit: Just wanted to add this about the Wii: I don't think that is indicative of anything. That was easily the worst console I ever played and I'm not at all surprised that it didn't have the longevity to necessitate an alternate version of it. The Switch is in a very different place.

Whilst I'm inclined to think a second Switch model will happen at some point, I certainly don't think it is inevitable and the Wii is the perfect example why that might not happen. It had a very long life span yet the only alternate versions were region specific right at the end of the consoles life cycle when it was all but dead. Despite the huge popularity, Nintendo never saw the need to release an improved/alternative version until the console was dead because of how successful it was. The Switch is doing similarly well so there really isn't reason to assume that another one will come along.

There's a lot of people in here pinning there hopes on another version of the Switch, particularly in time for Sword and Shield. I'm just explaining why that might never happen.

SoulRebel726

Whilst I'm inclined to think a second Switch model will happen at some point, I certainly don't think it is inevitable and the Wii is the perfect example why that might not happen. It had a very long life span yet the only alternate versions were region specific right at the end of the consoles life cycle when it was all but dead. Despite the huge popularity, Nintendo never saw the need to release an improved/alternative version until the console was dead because of how successful it was. The Switch is doing similarly well so there really isn't reason to assume that another one will come along.

There's a lot of people in here pinning there hopes on another version of the Switch, particularly in time for Sword and Shield. I'm just explaining why that might never happen.

I agree that it won't happen in time for Sword and Shield. I think we would have heard some rumblings by now, and it is a bit early at the moment at just over two years since the Switch launched. But I guess I'll agree to disagree about it's inevitability. The Switch has brought people to Nintendo's ecosystem that have never been there before, at least in my anecdotal experience, and Nintendo has indicated that they want to capitalize on that. I'd be very surprised if that didn't happen within the next 24 months or so.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I wouldn't be surprised if they did decide to release a Switch Mini. It would allow Nintendo to release a traditional handheld console without splitting the game library between two separate consoles.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I have one, but I did think about waiting originally, but from what I've read about the new model, I wasn't sure if it was worth paying more for it. So I ended up getting one sooner. Just hoping that it won't leave previous Switch owners in the dust. That's what I'm concerned about at this point.

This is why I believe the Switch Mini will not be able to be docked. The original Switch is selling like crazy so Nintendo is smart enough to know that their new Switch iteration cannot cannibalise their original model.

This isn't a DS or 3DS situation where a new model had to be made to phase out the original, this Switch Mini just seems to take over the handheld market that was maintained by the 3DS.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I am not, as I already have a Switch since launch. :V I think the rumours are a bit overblown atm, but sooner or later an alternate version won't surprise me.

D*N

Musical Star
I don't have a switch yet, so yes maybe. But it's more of a money problem than a conscious decision to wait for an upgraded one. When I hopefully have enough money to buy one this fall, I'll just get a switch. If there's no new one yet then whatever.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I just bought my switch for let's go :(...no new system lol.

nickdt

If a new system was in the works, even an upgraded Switch, we would have known about it by now. So even if we get one, don't expect it to launch before 2021 or 2022.