• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone holding out for Upgraded Switch?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Well, provided the rumors are true, I'd definitely consider getting the "Switch Mini". I'm generally a handheld-only person and this system sounds more right for me.

JohnLynch

My only concern ever would be if the new(?) Switch would have better performance rate in Sword and Shield. Might be wrong, but many players cited the difference of lag input between old and new 3DS when the Sun/Moon Demo launched in '16.
I expect the Switch Mini to be a budget Switch that is tailored specifically for the handheld market. As such I don't expect it to be more powerful then the current Switch.

I also expect that the Switch Mini will be the Switch model that Game Freak optimises for. The reason Game Freak utilised the power of the New 3DS was that it was a handheld device. Game Freak like to build Pokemon for handheld devices and so with Pokemon Sun they built their game for the most powerful handheld. I don't anticipate that changing this year, which means they'll be building for the Switch mini.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I expect the Switch Mini to be a budget Switch that is tailored specifically for the handheld market. As such I don't expect it to be more powerful then the current Switch.

I also expect that the Switch Mini will be the Switch model that Game Freak optimises for. The reason Game Freak utilised the power of the New 3DS was that it was a handheld device. Game Freak like to build Pokemon for handheld devices and so with Pokemon Sun they built their game for the most powerful handheld. I don't anticipate that changing this year, which means they'll be building for the Switch mini.
Ridiculously disappointing to hear and explains why we didn't get a BotW tier game.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Ridiculously disappointing to hear and explains why we didn't get a BotW tier game.

I don’t know about that since the lower-than-expected quality of the games is more likely due to Game Freak’s inexperience with the home console. I would assume that a “Switch Mini” could handle basically the same kind of power as the regular Switch, just having a smaller screen probably.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don’t know about that since the lower-than-expected quality of the games is more likely due to Game Freak’s inexperience with the home console. I would assume that a “Switch Mini” could handle basically the same kind of power as the regular Switch, just having a smaller screen probably.
This is gonna sound drastic to say but I'm starting to wonder we can even trust GameFreak to get us to that next level of gaming for Pokémon. I know people always say GF is small but why don't they expand then? It's starting to get a bit ridiculous imo

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
This is gonna sound drastic to say but I'm starting to wonder we can even trust GameFreak to get us to that next level of gaming for Pokémon. I know people always say GF is small but why don't they expand then? It's starting to get a bit ridiculous imo

I’m kind of concerned about that as well. At this point, it doesn’t seem like Game Freak is willing to make home console level improvements to the main series games. But it may be something that we’ll have to wait and see after Sword/Shield or Gen 9.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’d only get another one so I could trade Pokémon with myself. And possibly for my own Nintendo Labo creations.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I honestly don't expect the Switch Mini to be any less in graphics or capabilities, just smaller and handheld-only.

The Switch already has handheld capability. Why would there ever be a need to reduce graphics? The Switch Mini is really just to pull in those who prefer a handheld experience (i.e. are used to playing the 3DS).

But yes, it is certainly made with Pokémon in mind. Still, there is no reason for graphics or functionality to be reduced.

BCVM22

What precisely are we railing against here?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
What precisely are we railing against here?
Some people are just upset that Sword & Shield isn't a massive BOTW-style open world game even though we were never promised one to begin with.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Some people are just upset that Sword & Shield isn't a massive BOTW-style open world game even though we were never promised one to begin with.
Pokémon could never work as a BOTW type game. You’d get access to powerful Legendaries way too early and break the game.

BCVM22

That was never on the table, it’s questionable as to whether it would really work, and it’s strange to tie that to rumored hardware revisions which one imagines aren’t going to decrease the capability of the Switch at any rate.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
That was never on the table, it’s questionable as to whether it would really work, and it’s strange to tie that to rumored hardware revisions which one imagines aren’t going to decrease the capability of the Switch at any rate.
People were just being very optimistic and I don't think that the Switch Mini will decrease the Switch's hardware capabilities. I believe that it will just be a smaller Switch made for people who prefer handheld gaming so that they can make a dedicated handheld console without having to split the software library between two consoles.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm not actually upset and I didn't expect BotW and I will love SwSh but at some point in the future I hope we can get to a fully controllable camera etc, with viewpoint directly behind our character, and it kinda seems like it might never happen. They continually make visual improvements which is awesome, but it's still not going to feel truly immersive to me. It will actually feel less immersive to me than LGPE did since they've taken away wild overworld.

And what I'm meaning about GF is that idk whether they can ever get us to that level (not specifically SwSh)

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Neither SM nor USUM were enhanced for N3DS. They were optimized, and launched, for the regular 3DS yet the performance differences varied in Demo, especially in Totem Hakamo-o battle. Mind you, the lag input itself wasn't a huge deal breaker for old 3DS owners to consider a change.

How would we expect an optimized game for Switch Mini specifically, if you claim its power wouldn't surpass the current Switch? If it'd be tailored for Switch Pro, then I would have understood.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Neither SM nor USUM were enhanced for N3DS. They were optimized, and launched, for the regular 3DS yet the performance differences varied in Demo, especially in Totem Hakamo-o battle. Mind you, the lag input itself wasn't a huge deal breaker for old 3DS owners to consider a change.

How would we expect an optimized game for Switch Mini specifically, if you claim its power wouldn't surpass the current Switch? If it'd be tailored for Switch Pro, then I would have understood.
It could possibly mean that SS has less functionality in docked mode than LGPE, especially considering that the Switch Mini would most likely be permanently in handheld mode.

Irina

ready for Gen 8
A Switch Mini would definitely be my go-to-get console with the newest gen.
And Nintendo knows that this is another potential market success, since people loved to play on their 3DS day in and out.

Sure, the current Switch can do that as well, but you have to pay a higher price to do so.
If they release a Switch Mini/Lite with built-in joysticks and no homescreen/TV options for a more affordable price... people would throw their money at Nintendo and also get more of the parents money because it's a more affordable console for little kids.

Not that it matters... If they don't plan on releasing a Switch version of that, I'm still gonna get a Switch this year or early next year. Definitely don't want to miss a gen of Pokémon... EVER.

Leonhart

Imagineer
An upgraded and possibly cheaper Nintendo Switch system is practically the only way I'll be convinced to play Shield & Sword since I can't afford the current Switch console at the moment.