• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

anyone miss the serious side of TR?

Charmbracelet

Looking In
Yeah, TR were always used for comic relief.

Which is a shame, because there has never been real villans in the show that are actually serious in their world domination and not running around after Pikachu.

I think TR should just be Pokemon corodinators full time.

wait ...TR can be taken seriously?

I think after that second episode they were in ..and they just failed every time ..after that, if you still took them seriously, then durdedooo I don't know maaaan.
I mean even for young kids ..you can tell the JJ&M aren't worth a sweat.

Pintig

*Yawn*
Wait, they have a serious side? They are giving so much lame comic relief lately that i cant even tell if they were serious at all. Well sure they were serious at the first few episodes but its all gone now.

Midnightmoon6o2

"Tougher than you."
Wait, TR had a serious side? wow, i think i learnt something new today. xD

But really, i think TR was there for the humour side of pokemon which they are lacking lately

But yeah. i don't think the writersplan to give them a serious side.

Charmbracelet

Looking In
Since everyone is saying they were never serious, which I agree with, here is a question:

- Who then were/are the serious villans on the show?

Ashley Miley

I just watched the first episode yesterday and was thinking about this. They were very serious in the beginning and posed an actual threat. they also seemed younger. That only lasted until the second episode though, because the quest for pikachu kind of made them go insane.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
The only time Team Rocket was ever serious was their very first episode.

Seriously.

Who then were/are the serious villans on the show?
The regional teams (Rockets besides JJ&M, Magma/Aqua, Galactic). And Sinnoh's also got J.

At least, it did until she died.

Last edited:

Sonic527

Speed fanatic
It be nice if they were more like villains again and stop using the dumb robots today.

Either they need to move on and get a new group involved or make Jessie, james, and Meowth give up in team rocket and move on to a new group imo.

Zazie

So 1991
No. I like the incompetent, not very bright and somewhat lovable Team Rocket right now. The show has other serious villains why do we need more. What the show needs is comedic relief and an underdog to root for and that's what Jesse, James and Meowth are for. They were serious villains for one episode and while they were awesome villians for that brief time, that time is over, after so many failed plans to catch pikachu they would have lost their edge anyway, turning them into comedy relief was the smart thing to and instead leaving the villian spot to others with more interesting goals.

ijea4444

To be honest, I love TR mostly because of their ridiculous antics and their funniness. It is what still keeps them bearable. If they turned back to being serious (stealing-wise) I don't know if I'd still like them.

cazatron

i watched 'here comes the squirtle squad' for the first time in years yesterday and team rocket were sooooooooo cool, but they were pretty funny at the same time but in a different way to the slapstick trio we have these days, the humour relied a lot more on the dialogue. i agree, upon reflection TR certainly had some kind of sparkle about them back in the early days, but on the other hand just recently i watched a rocket centric episode and laughed my *** off

Lunanight

the did have a gun in a banned episode but since team galactic and J left: domino, giovanni, cassidy and butch are the only serious villans left in the show

pokemon fan 132

They were never very serious to begin with,being even in Kanto comic relief.The only episode where they seemed like serious villains was in second and third episode "Ash catches pokemon" where they were represented as some treat,though lost against Caterpie was shameful.
I suppose some people considered them more serious in early seasons because of usage of real bombs and guns in some episodes using unusual methods compared to nowdays,but despite that they were always portrayed as "someone who cant be taken seriously".

How i feel about whole thing?Well i like the way they are now with their funny antics,with Jessie becoming more competent as trainer(that would be actually incorrect,meant coordinator),but i wouldnt mind seeing their bserious side for a change being for once a treat.

Also from what i notioced when they are serious,oir having more selfconfidence(like James got at times),they can battle quiote decent.

The only real villains ever if you ask me were:Cyrus and Team Galactic,at times Butch and Cassidy(not always),Hunter J of course,Giovanni and TR organization,Team Aqua and Magma and if it counts Mewtwo.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
I miss Ted Lewis, he was way better than Eric Stuart or Jimmy Zoppi.

I suppose you're referring to James's voice the first 5-10 episodes of the first season? I kinda agree with you, about Jimmy Zoppi, cant stand him myself, personally, (for James though), but I would not complain about Eric's job, he wasn't that bad, just in comparison, Ted Lewis was *awesome!"

Halle

I don't think i've ever thought team rocket would accomplish anything, but nowadays it feels like not even team rocket thinks they can accomplish anything...

Indragon

Back in the USSR
^Oh, c'mon, you're not gonna take away TR's optimism from them now, are you? Because that's probably one of the very few things they have left.....