• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone sick of all the attention Special gets?

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
The "Scary (-__-) Clefaity" one is still running, although it's actually a bunch of individual series (Pocket Monsters, Pocket Monsters RS, and Pocket Monsters DP, with the volume numbering system for each count going back to one with the start of each new series), where Special is still Pokemon Special from the first volume (not anything new like Pokemon Special RS and such).
Oh. I was going off the manga listing in Dogasu's Backpack(which is the most convenient listing I know of without hoping that bulbapedia isn't being slow that day), which lists Pocket Monsters[ as finished, doesn't mention Pocket Mosnters RS, and...does list Pocket Monsters DP as ongoing in Japan, but there aren't any details beyond the title so I didn't know it was the same as the original Pocket Monsters. :p (since there is at least one manga with "Pocket Monsters" in the name that isn't the "scary clefairy" one...)
In that case...uh...well, I really don't know why nobody ever talks about Pocket Monsters. I suspect that part of the problem with getting people to post about it is that...nobody's bothered with it before, so there's no info about it beyond the first series(which has a section on Dogasu's Backpack, at the least). There's also the fact that it's more of a gag manga, which probably wouldn't interest the same set of people who enjoy the story-driven Pokemon Special(which is only an excuse because this board is full of people who only read Special).
For something that's apparently the most popular Pokemon manga in Japan, it sure as hell hasn't had anyone mention it over here, and nobody seems to care enough to write chapter summaries/etc of the manga. Too bad the easiest way to expose the series to English-speakers(translate it!) won't be done by Viz because its humor is generally risque, and a fan translation, though possible, would be illegal. (And fans probably wouldn't bother translating it either, because nobody over here cares enough about the manga to translate it for other people.)

But it only has one. Attempts to make other threads get told "there's already a thread for this comic", as if all discussion about it has to stay contained to a single thread even though Special can take over the board. And THAT'S what I'm talking about.
That is a problem, but unless your threads are actually getting locked, why let that stop you? If people see that it's possible to discuss non-Special manga(even if a few people think this forum is only for Special), they might be more inclined to discuss other manga! I'll admit it'd be an uphill battle since you'd have to deal with those users(you know, the ones who always think they're right but really aren't), but those people have to realize that discussing manga other than Special is allowed here even though PMD has historically been all about Special.

Also, I suppose if you want to be technical about it, people posting "there's already a thread for this manga" and nothing else could get in trouble for mini-modding and/or spamming. Report them for it!

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Oh, I'm not letting it stop me. But when I *do* make a topic, no one populates it. The thread for DPA is fairly active, but when I try to take discussion outside it, no one else follows.

What galls me is when people post what SEEMS like a general manga discussion from the title and then inside they specify Special. Like I said in the supporting characters thread, what if I want to talk about Coconut? Or Kaede?

NES

Flip me to the side!
Honestly haven't read DPA but i completely understand your point and i agree, there should be room for all pokemon manga topics in this forum.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
I get that your frustrated Blackjack and agree that some of the topic titles have been misleading. But remember if ppl tell you this forum is only for Special, they are mistaken. Now unless their response is out-right rude or spammy (in which case you are w/in your right to report them) I think the best tack is to politely mention the other manga and yr reasoning like you've been doing, then move ahead and create a new topic. If there aren't many responses to it try not to feel so down-hearted. I don't post much but I try to check the manga section every day. If I don't post in a thread it is often not a lack of interest but b/c I could not think of anything to say beyond "yeah what they said".

Darkxninga

hmm...I dont really see a problem here... second time a thread like this is here...There are other poke mangas too and we see that, however it seems alot of people are a fan of PokeSpec (including me). Against special or something? ._. ... There is a DP adventure thread and etc ..and there was a comment or question thread about the giritina manga before. And someone was dead wrong if they said the pokemon manga was only for special.
(Not saying this in a rude way just saying)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
As I keep saying, I LIKE Special. I just DON'T like how the fans treat it like it's the only Pokemon manga there is and how the manga forum gets flooded by threads about it while any other manga is nearly forced to keep to a single thread. And I don't like how threads that OUGHT to be General Pokemon Manga Discussion are elaborated to only be about Special. Yes I like Special. Yes I want to talk about Special. But I also like and want to talk about other series as well.

Rex Kamex

As I keep saying, I LIKE Special. I just DON'T like how the fans treat it like it's the only Pokemon manga there is and how the manga forum gets flooded by threads about it while any other manga is nearly forced to keep to a single thread. And I don't like how threads that OUGHT to be General Pokemon Manga Discussion are elaborated to only be about Special. Yes I like Special. Yes I want to talk about Special. But I also like and want to talk about other series as well.

Something sad about that is that if people did the same thing only with another Pokemon manga... wouldn't people replying say that the original poster should be more specific on the manga that he/she is talking about?

Nidoprince

I agree 100% to every part of Blackjack's post. I like Special too, I think that DPA and others are too forgotten, and that Special is the one that gets a ton of attention, but the only reason it gets so much attention is that...

1. One of the first Pokemon manga
2. It's still running

I guess it just makes it more attractive. Mainly #2...and #1...anyway, DPA is dead in Japan, same with all the others and only Special is still running. Also, I can kick myslef for doing this anology, but whenever I was the new kid in school, I obviously didn't get much attention and didn't have as many friends as the "Popular" ones. I think DPA etc. are the new kids, and Special is the popular one. And just so that I can try and not get in the same situation as Blackjack, I like DPA, and Special, I wanna talk about both.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Something sad about that is that if people did the same thing only with another Pokemon manga... wouldn't people replying say that the original poster should be more specific on the manga that he/she is talking about?

That would be equally wrong. But I don't see anyone doing it with any other series.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Beyond special I don't feel the need to waste my time reading more pokemon manga. I only find pokemon manga mildly interesting.
It may not be the only pokemon manga out there but it's the only I'd read. I'd rather waste my time with other material. Honestly no other series has given me an interest like Special did.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Beyond special I don't feel the need to waste my time reading more pokemon manga. I only find pokemon manga mildly interesting.
It may not be the only pokemon manga out there but it's the only I'd read. I'd rather waste my time with other material. Honestly no other series has given me an interest like Special did.

This is pretty much the answer here.

You can't control people's tastes, and most people just like Special better, so more attention.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
*sigh* I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself. I'm not saying people shouldn't talk about Special. What I *am* saying is that I'm sick of people treating Special like it's the only Pokemon manga out there and trying to relegate any and all discussion of ANY other series into a single thread while Special gets to dominate the board with multiple threads.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
...what?

I'm answering the question of this topic: why Special gets so much attention (and thus more threads) then the other pokemon mangas.

It's because, and now I'm repeating myself, people just like Special more.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Basically it's that. Pokemon mangas beyond special just don't have much that's worthwhile. So in essence more will talk about special then other manga. I will continue to "act like it's the only one" till something interesting does show up. (Which I doubt.) I'd rather read something as terrible as Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man story arc) before another pokemon manga.

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
I'm not. I think Special deserves any and all attention it gets, it's fantastic. Would it be nice to see other Pokemon mangas get attention? I can't say considering I've never read any other Pokemon manga besides Special. Though, from looking at this thread I don't think I'd want to anyways.

Some things are more popular for a reason.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Woah woah woah.

The other pokemon manga are not that bad. They're pretty good, though some of them kind of fail.

It's just that Special is so good, not that the others are so bad.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
The others are hardly worth mentioning though. There's nothing broadly appealing about them beyond being about pokemon.

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
Woah woah woah.

The other pokemon manga are not that bad. They're pretty good, though some of them kind of fail.

It's just that Special is so good, not that the others are so bad.

I never said the others were bad. It just seems that the other mangas couldn't equally match Special in terms of content and quality, and I'd get bored with them easily. Like you said, Special is so good.