• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone sick of all the attention Special gets?

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
As for the other comics being over, that doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about. Harry Potter's over and has been for several years, but the fandom's still pretty active. To say nothing of Star Trek (before the reimagine movie this past year), Star Wars (sure there's Clone Wars but most of the talk is still about the movies), Final Fantasy 7 (or any game that isn't the latest one), anything Shakespeare or any other dead writer did...
Yeah, to say that there's nothing to talk about just because a series is over doesn't work.

I don't neccessarily disagree with you that a dead series won't be guaranteed to be less popular than an ongoing one, but the real whole in the argument here is that you're comparing Pokemon to Shakespeare.

I like Special more than Shakespeare(and yes I have seen more of his work than just "Romeo and Juliet", in fact I much prefer "The Taming of the Shrew") but Shakespeare and his work were a revolution in the way writing is done today, he was a complete switch around and stepped up what one could do with writing. Most writing today(including Special and other manga Pokemon or otherwise) does owe it's quality at least in some small part to Shakespeare. Special, when you get down to it is lesser known, often glanced over manga series, Shakespeare completely revolutionized the theatrical world.

Like I said I don't disagree but the two subjects don't really seem to be comparable. And when you consider that Star Wars and Star Trek have a large cult following, and the fact that TV series and movies don't work the same way manga or any "you have to actually read" material works.

Usually J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series is seen differently because of it's popularity and the book's own qualiy in itself, AND it managed to land a movie series, which lent heavily to it's range. Special and other manga on the other hand fall into the idealology that popularity can be leant to by if it's still going because unlike the other examples you listed they aren't famous enough to leave a permanent impact. They aren't particularily broadcast in the same manner. And unless someone decides "ah what the hell" in a position of power over at Nintendo and other places, none of these series will ever get an anime series, which would be easier to market and lend to the popularity of any manga. A good number of them have potential, but there run and likeness is more dependant on how much has been put out and if it's still BEING put out.

Otherwise, I agree with you completely. ^_^

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
look, im not getting into a flame war, okay? i stated my opinion about special, then lets leave it at that.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
look, im not getting into a flame war, okay? i stated my opinion about special, then lets leave it at that.

I wasn't trying to start one you just confused me that's all. Okay, we'll just leave it where it is. ^_^

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Considering that Pokemon is something most people instantly recognize when they hear it (although it's usually treated negatively), yes, I would compare it to the likes of Star Wars.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Considering that Pokemon is something most people instantly recognize when they hear it (although it's usually treated negatively), yes, I would compare it to the likes of Star Wars.

Well right there, you said most people treat it nagatively so it's not really up there. And I'm talking more the mangas than anything. But you cannot compare it to Shakespeare.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Recognition and fame are two entirely different things. Everyone know Jack Thompson but is he really famous? I don't get whats hard to understand about pokemon not being all that popular when it comes to anime and manga. It's something so obvious but people seem to forget.

Wow. ._.

I can't believe people are so narrowed-minded saying that the other mangas aren't worthy when they haven't even read them. >> Special is my favorite manga, but it's not the only one and the others deserve attention.

I think the reason why Special gets so much attention is because its the only ongoing series aside from Pocket Monsters (which is one of the hardest to find) and has the most coverage on the Internet.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Well I'm only mildly interested in special as stated. I really don't think pokemon's version of slice of life such as the magical journey one would be high up in my priorities to read. I already read so many titles to begin with.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Compare that to a pokemon manga where a portion (I'd be willing to say a large portion) of the fans don't even know manga outside of Pokemon Special exist. The discussion isn't going to be as broad nor is it going to be as prominent as Special.

And that's EXACTLY the problem I'm talking about! That there's so many out there and the fandom, especially on this board, seems to be completely in the dark because Special is all everyone ever talks about. Bulba's manga section may get maybe three posts a week, but even there there's more variety in titles.

Well right there, you said most people treat it nagatively so it's not really up there. And I'm talking more the mangas than anything. But you cannot compare it to Shakespeare.

Insofar as "it's something that's over", yes you can. And that was the entire point I was making, that something can still be wildly popular despite being finished ages ago. Man, what's with people thinking I was making a quality judgement? (and even so, he *did* write some stinkers)

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
As I stated earlier, Special gets more attention just because people like it better,

There's really nothing you can do about that.

Rex Kamex

I don't think anyone's wondering why Special gets the most attention, though.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Sure, Special's great and all. I like it. I just bought volume 4 today.

But it's not the only thing out there. Why does everyone treat it like it is?

Although... the reason so many people treat it like it is the only manga is because it gets so much attention. Not only when it comes to how many threads are made about Special, but the way the forums say for the Pokemon Manga Section, "Discuss the Pokémon Adventures (Pocket Monsters Special) and other Pokémon Mangas here" and the way Serebii.net's manga section is all about Special. (I like the stuff that Serebii.net has about this manga- I'm just saying I think it contributes to people treating the series like it's the only Pokemon manga.)

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Insofar as "it's something that's over", yes you can. And that was the entire point I was making, that something can still be wildly popular despite being finished ages ago. Man, what's with people thinking I was making a quality judgement? (and even so, he *did* write some stinkers)

I caught your point, that's why I said I agreed. The reason Shakespeare was wildly popular was because he changed the theatrical and writing world. The manga we're talking about are just comics based on a video game series. So if they finish, their popularity will dwindle because they didn't revolutionize anything. Though the stories themselves, particularily Special's are good, They aren't so high above all other writing that it changes our outlook on writing in general.

MY point is that it is logical to think something will become less popular when it ends if it hasn't made a profound enough impact on the general public. And no Pokemon manga is popular enough or advertised enough. Does that mean a finished series will indefinately be less popular? Not neccessarily but it'll be better if it keeps going or is popular or smiled upon enough to impact the public or audience. If Special was canceled or ended, it would slip from it's current popularity and it'd be practically forgotten because neither it or the other manga have left a nostalgic mark on the larger public since the anime was the popularized thing, and the games are the primary sell. So it'll be one of those two and the anime by people as a whole will be remembered as "childish".

So I still say you can't compare them. Otherwise they are comparable if you narrow that down to only the people in this thread because it's ABOUT the Pokemon mangas. That being said you can still disagree with me, I just don't think the two can really be compared.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
He really didn't change anything. His work was considered pretty typical in his day. We just know it because most other works from that era didn't survive.

Anyway, it was one example out of many. Shakespeare isn't some sacred cow that can never be used in a comparasion without people bugging out, yet that's what always seems to happen (unless he's being compared to maybe Marlowe but that's a different issue).

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
He really didn't change anything. His work was considered pretty typical in his day. We just know it because most other works from that era didn't survive.

Anyway, it was one example out of many. Shakespeare isn't some sacred cow that can never be used in a comparasion without people bugging out, yet that's what always seems to happen (unless he's being compared to maybe Marlowe but that's a different issue).

No, his work really was above most playwrights at the time. I know, I took a class on this. But once again we clearly see this very differently. The fact of the matter is. The majority of manga that aren't big name titles usually aren't going to be continually remembered if they end. Which is why an ongoing series would be more popular, popular meaning well known+liked.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I donno...MPJ just got resumed in Singapore completely out of the blue. Viz reissuing Special can at least be assumed to be more than a bit in part due to HGSS, but MPJ has nothing to do with anything.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
I donno...MPJ just got resumed in Singapore completely out of the blue. Viz reissuing Special can at least be assumed to be more than a bit in part due to HGSS, but MPJ has nothing to do with anything.

Well considering that the volumes should be going on for a while before they even reach HGSS, and also that a HGS arc hasn't been writen yet, I think it's just because Pokemon Special had a spike in popularity among Viz's english target, i.e winning that Nickelodeon... thing.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
When it overrides any attention any other Pokemon manga gets, that's not being a true Pokemon fan.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
No. I actually appreciate the attention it gets. Whoever thinks so is not a true pokemon fan.

Oh hey, it's the classic "True Scotsman" logical error.

Never thought I'd see it in real life.

Rex Kamex

Oh. I was going off the manga listing in Dogasu's Backpack(which is the most convenient listing I know of without hoping that bulbapedia isn't being slow that day), which lists Pocket Monsters[ as finished, doesn't mention Pocket Mosnters RS, and...does list Pocket Monsters DP as ongoing in Japan, but there aren't any details beyond the title so I didn't know it was the same as the original Pocket Monsters. :p

This has volumes of the other series with that Clefairy in them...