• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anyone sick of all the attention Special gets?

SatoshiKasumi

Kid Cupid
I don't see what is so wrong with special i pretty good my first pokemon manga i ever read even thought i do enjoy Electric Tale of Pikachu more special is a great manga. Although, we could use a change because it all focusing on special :p

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I never said anything was wrong with it. I said it's not the only one out there and that it shouldn't monopolize all the manga talk.

Faraway_Mew

Mew, mew... mew?
I find nothing wrong with that. Special deserves those attention being the best pokemon manga that I have encountered so far.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
*sigh*

Look. I'll say this again, and I shouldn't have to repeat myself so much. I LIKE Special. I like TALKING about Special. But I ALSO like talking about DPA, or MPJ, or Electric Tale, or any number of other titles. And I don't think those should be banished to a single thread per title while Special spams up the board.

Faraway_Mew

Mew, mew... mew?
Well, it is still ok to post other threads in "pokemon manga discussion" as long as it is a manga about pokemon (like maybe Ash and pikachu if anyone wanted to talk about them)
Special is just much more well known.

cmtbakuhun

Blackjack, I get your point.

but as others have said, Special gets all the attention because more fans like it than they like other manga series. And I personally do not see a problem with that.

Nobody's forcing you or other fans to limit your discussions to just special. If I am correct you or any other person has the right, as a member of this forum, discuss any pokemon manga series you want. It's just that there aren't enough people to do so.

If you are ****** about that very fact, that there are too few people to discuss other pokemon manga series, well......That's just what competition is, no? It's a free market and competition is inevitable. You can't complain why, for example, GM gets more attention than Hyundai. Considering that the Japanese are open and free to access to most manga, the discontinuation of other series means that not enough people liked them. the continuation of Special proves the opposite.

Plus, you can't ignore the fact that Special brought together characters from RGBY-GSC-RSE-(maybe DPPt) together. that's a rare sight, and gives a sense of continuity to the story. and people like continuity.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yet when I try to make a thread for an aspect of, say, DPA, people tell me "there's already a thread for that". I know they don't represent the rules, but it's that sort of thinking that I'm trying to combat, that somehow all other series have to be limited to only one thread per title.

And what series are you talking about? DPA reached the end of its run, MPJ reached the end of its run, Electric Tale reached the end of its run...The only one that was really canceled before a logical conclusion was Golden Boys.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
*sigh*

Look. I'll say this again, and I shouldn't have to repeat myself so much. I LIKE Special. I like TALKING about Special. But I ALSO like talking about DPA, or MPJ, or Electric Tale, or any number of other titles. And I don't think those should be banished to a single thread per title while Special spams up the board.

I understand what you mean. But I guess Pokemon Special is a little more popular so it gets special treatment. It's also been around longer so it's natural for it to have more threads.

I don't love DPA, but I'd like to talk about it on different threads.

Last edited:

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
I'm not sick of it. I get your point. I suppose majority of the people feel Special is better, thus making it more popular.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
No,I`m just glad that there selling lots of Books to get the GSC arc here in America.When I noticed that I can`t find the next volume in the store,I know it`s getting us the GSC arc.

Rex Kamex

No,I`m just glad that there selling lots of Books to get the GSC arc here in America.When I noticed that I can`t find the next volume in the store,I know it`s getting us the GSC arc.

It's not about the attention that people give Special when buying the books, though. It's the attention that people give Special on forums like these where Special is, by some, treated like it's "THE official legitimate Pokemon manga."

Super-Staff

Turnabout Pokemon
Ah, I remember back when I tried making a DPA related post back in 2008-ish and it got mistaken for the Special arc. Heh...

I'm actually a huge fan of Pokemon manga and I've had a lot of trouble getting support for titles other than Special and, oddly, MPJ online. I literally have a huge stack of Pokemanga, including some obscure stuff.

I lent out the Battle Frontier manga (the one with Enta and Rald) to a friend recently and he loved it. I wish I had a scanner so I can show them off. And yeah, most of mine are Chuang-Yi that I imported via Ebay.

Electric Tale of Pikachu is basically anime-based fanfiction, and that's a good thing. Ono, when he actually remembers how people are shaped (you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about), is a wonderful artist, and his first movie backstory is far better than the backstory we actually got.

Oh, hey, Blackjack. Do you happen to know where I can find scans of Ono's Mewtwo backstory? Maybe PM it?

X-ice654

Angry Dawn is Angry
To be honest I have only read one volume of DPA. I use to have a few of The Electric Tale of Pikachu, but I lost them (Ha, I'm an idiot). The reason it is more often discussed I would think is that it seems more or likely more well know. Some of them haven't been heard and might never be seen anywhere else outside of Japan unless you purchase them online. I just looked through this entire thread and I'd have to say many people have already pointed out various reasons as to why it discussed more on forum sites.

I myself do enjoy Pokemon Special and am glad that Viz is re-releasing them. I've currently have the best of Pokemon Adventures, and volumes 2,3,4, and 5. Pokemon Special probably isn't the best and a lot of others probably deserve to be discussed and it shouldn't be made out to the only Pokemon manga out there, but because it seems to be more well known and popular its usually probably seen that way.

Last edited:

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
My fave non-special manga I bought was Ginji Rescue Team. I had the DPA vols but I left them at my parents house during XMas break so my brother can enjoy. I used to have Vol 1 of MPJ and a handful of Ono's Electric Tale but lost them years ago. ;__; And I have not seen any other manga like Golden Boys or Mask Theif here but this is US and am in a city that is a good location (depending how you drove you could go to Boston or Philly w/in a day).
I try to talk abt the other mangas when I remember but admit that Special is focused on more since it's easier to find vols and fans online. But it's cool to talk of any poke manga on the forums so if a hard time is ever given b/c someone preffers one series over another try to remember that it's not yr fault and bese on severity ignore or report comment. Maybe I'll make another all manga topic this weekend just have to think of something cool...

Lord_Storm

I've read a few manga's, but none of them seem as good as special, its not like I'm saying that special is better, it's just my opinion that it is, so when I come to the manga section, I just come to talk about Special.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
Well, I don't really mind it, I just dislike what they did to Silver. That's all. I missed his badass and mean nature.

But what I liked about it was it was more for teens than children. Such as the 'shocking' moments in it. Like when Pokemon actually rot, get cut in half, and when Cal curses. The people in the manga actually get badly hurt while battling, and when enemies fight the protagonists, they don't CARE whether they live or die. In fact, several times they say stuff like, "Finish him off." And things along that line.

I like the fact that not everything is sunshine and daisys. It's a bit more of a scary, more vicious world. The anime is a lot happier. The games are in the middle. The manga is more for teens. I like the older themes.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Lol, you're the opposite of me. I actually LIKE what they did to Silver! ^^ (most of the characters who are based off of Silver act like the game char. of Silver so...I'm happy they made him different, kinda like with Gold too, they changed his character to be funnier and more reckless (judging by how people would act towards me in my Gold game...and I just sadly realized....I can never ever play as Crys....*sighs* <- don't pay any attention to that! ^_^; )

Lord_Storm

I like what they did with Silver, as he is more of a mysterious, dark and powerful trainer, but later on, when he teams up with Gold, he is also cool. Sometimes it seems lie he thinks and tries to be the best, but other than that, I like his character.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Sometimes I swear Silver acts differently towards everyone...

The only manga I read is basically Pokemon Special, so yeah...I tried reading DPA, but I dunno, it never really stuck out to me that much, not sure why...
One manga that I thought was pretty good (in the beginning) was Phantom Theif 7, that's pretty good if you like Lucario and the concept of Aura and stuff. IMO it got weird in the end though....but it's not finished yet, so I probably shouldn't jump to conclusions.