• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anything and Everything Shiny - 2.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-rex

dubstep
Anything and Everything Shiny - 2.0!

Once again, funnel all of your shiny Pokemon-related questions, concerns, thoughts, wishes, dreams, anecdotes, frustrations, and family newsletters into this Swalot of a thread.

[img139]http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/art/shiny/317.png[/img139]​

i wonder what made the creators of this game think of shiny pokemon. That would have to be just a random idea turned amazing, some shinys are not as good as others, but most are amazing. i wonder why everyone wants them so bad, there just colored pokemon? is it because we are used to seeing them one colored that when we see the shiny's it adds some excitement? i dont know lets here wht you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
I have to wonder the same thing. I also wonder if the creators knew the hype that was going to be started by the whole shiny thing. And collecting a shiny Pokemon is hard to do, so when you catch it, it's actually a cool thing. Not that shinies are more powerful, they're just difficult to obtain.

And within a few days I will offer many Pokemon. One of your requests might just be one of the Pokemon that I offer.

g-rex

dubstep
yes they are very hard to run into, i have over 100 hours in my game and have only ran into a shiny timbur. that i was not paying attention to and ran away. i was so angry with myself. but is a shiny harder to catch than a regular?

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Yes. In fact, I read a statistic somewhere on Serebii that said under normal conditions the chances of finding a shiny Pokemon were 1 in 8000-something. Of course, there are different ways to influence this (see article for full details), but otherwise it mostly depends on how lucky you are (or if you have something like my cousin's "Awesome hacking device")

Gelatino95

Not a tool
yes they are very hard to run into, i have over 100 hours in my game and have only ran into a shiny timbur. that i was not paying attention to and ran away. i was so angry with myself. but is a shiny harder to catch than a regular?

A shiny has the same catch rate as its non-shiny counterpart. The ONLY thing different about it is its color.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
1/8192 chance under normal circumstances.
1/2048 chance using Masuda Method in DPPtHGSS
1/1366 chance using Masuda Method in BW
1/200 chance with a PokeRadar Chain higher than 40
1/64 chance breeding with a Shiny parent in GSC

Courtesy to Bulbapedia for statistics.

ladykiwi

I love tights. <3
My current White file has around 23 hours of play time and I've hatched / encountered around 20 shinies so far. Seriously, shinies stopped being rare and stuff since RNG Abuse was discovered. PM me if you need a shiny breeding project in gen v.

Arsène

Glorious RNG master race reporting. Shinies stopped being rare as soon as chaining/MM showed up, to be precise.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I wonder what it must have been like to discover a shiny way back in the G/S/C days, and then showing it to someone, because I don't think anyone knew what they were. I probably would have thought it was a weird glitch.

g-rex

dubstep
i didnt know what they were till E/R/S

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I wonder what it must have been like to discover a shiny way back in the G/S/C days, and then showing it to someone, because I don't think anyone knew what they were. I probably would have thought it was a weird glitch.

I caught a "red" Graveler in I believe Crystal or Silver back in the day and thought it was neat that it was a different color. Since the Red Gyarados was also, well red, I used to think that all shinies were red :p

Not that I knew what shinies were at the time, I just thought the different color was cool.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero

That's what Red Gyarados was for.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Gotta love shiny's and i actually love shiny hunting too.:p
I encountered 2 shinies in black(never had shiny encounter in older games).a Pupitar and a Sawk.sadly i traded my Sawk but my Pupitar is now a T-tar.
I also obtained shinyies of Axew,Snivy and Mienfoo via masuda method.and my first shiny starter was a Chikorita in HG via SR ing.

My current White file has around 23 hours of play time and I've hatched / encountered around 20 shinies so far. Seriously, shinies stopped being rare and stuff since RNG Abuse was discovered. PM me if you need a shiny breeding project in gen v.
Yes but shiny hunters don't accept RNG ed pokemon.
RNG pokemon are mostly accepted by competitive players.i use them for battles too but theire not rare to me since their allover pokecheck and so easy to obtain.
only shinies with my own OT are rare to me.:p

Glorious RNG master race reporting. Shinies stopped being rare as soon as chaining/MM showed up, to be precise.
i dont think long hunts like 3000 and up are spoiling anything.its still a matter of luck.and chaining only works in DPP(its not as easy as some people think).
RNGing is cool i like to learn to RNG myself but i wouldn't count RNG ed pokemon by me Rare.i pokegened my competitive teams before but RNG ing is better since the pokemons wouldn't be hacks.still theire not special to people who have no use for them.even most competitive battlers choose to pokegen since its less time consuming that RNG ing and training the pokemon.

Last edited:

ladykiwi

I love tights. <3
Yes but shiny hunters don't accept RNG ed pokemon.

Well that's just stupid, lmao. Also @almost everyone else in this thread:
Shiny's: belonging to shiny.
Shinies: Plural of shiny.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Sometimes, shiny Pokemon act as a nice surprise, especially if is one you want to catch.
Unfortunately, some get obsessed with them, and you see some who hack their games to get all shinies. Some look nice, some look stupid. As well as this, as there are only one of each legendary, it would be impossible to have shinies of them.

2rsa

Shiny Hunter
Well that's just stupid, lmao. Also @almost everyone else in this thread:
Shiny's: belonging to shiny.
Shinies: Plural of shiny.
Its not actually.you should check the topic for 5 gen shinies.you will see.i had a shop full of RNG ed shinies.since i'm not a competitive battler so they were junk to me.I gave lots of them to my friends who wanted them for free.and BTW g-rex i'll be happy to give you my shiny latios,latias and rayquaza(of course if you don't mind them being RNG ed).^-^
anyways RNG ing for shinies is not hacking but for shiny hunters its not much better than hacking since the essence of surprise is what makes shinies so wonderfully awesome.:D

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
i wonder what made the creators of this game think of shiny pokemon.

At a guess they came up with the idea of the red gyarados first and then decided to have alternate colours for every pokemon.

What I want to know is how they decide on alternate colourations. Sometimes there's a theme (Blue often goes to pink, Green often goes to turquoise, Orange often goes to yellow), but some shinies seem random and I don't get why they'd make deliberately uninteresting shinies like Abra or Garchomp.

mjjfan10

Pokemon Trader
I LOVE shiny Pokemon. It adds even more to the game. But unfortunately, I have yet to encounter one... Over 700 hours over 5 games ... Not one shiny. :(

Earthia100

I only own 4 shinies.

Rapidash (looks so cool)

Pichu (event)

Gyrados (we all know where I got him)

Magikarp (Found in my SS game. Really?! Really?!)

That all my shines :(

I believe that shiny Pokemon was a fan-made term prior to gen V when it was made official.

Status
Not open for further replies.