• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anything in HGSS make you angry/confused?

Electric

I hate how the cutscene of the legendary isn't on the other versions game; like Ho-oh in Soulsilver, there's no cutscene, it's just already there. Unless they ran out of memory to put it in the game, Gamefreak just likes to make us fans angry.

Last edited:

Viiinc

flipjeff1313

The point of the legendary cut scenes was to be version exclusive. The other legendary there is like a blessing because in other games, you only get one (e.g. Groudon/Kyogre and Dialga/Palka). And because each bird needs 2 items (feather +bell) AND the kimono girls, it wouldn't make sense for the kimono girls to just be there 24/7 waiting for you after you caught your VERSION bird.

Blue_Ringed_Umbreon

Egg Count: 326
HG/SS ARE the best versions. That said, extra improvements could have been made along with what has already been achieved, to enhance the generational upgrade to Gen 4 further. For me, these include;

-No Sneasel or Houndour before Elite 4 (as was missed in G/S/C)
-Gym Leaders original teams not updated to Johto-Specific pokemon, save for Miltank, Steelix, Piloswine and Kingdra. Why not showcase a level 13 Togetic and level 9 Hoot-Hoot for example?
-Safari Zone. Its non-appearance in G/S/C was annoying, but now its just farcical. Its re-vamped and in a new location, which is cool, but then Pal Park is inserted in Fuschia. WTF? Why not vice-versa?

The seemingly easier encounter rate of Entei/Raikou. I played through Gold for 180+ hours before I encountered Raikou, and I didnt encounter Entei until after I beat Clair. It added to the majesty of obtaining these guys; now you can just look them up in your PokeGear.

Specific factors of HG/SS that annoy me start from the the Pokewalker. In theory its an awesome application, but it has too great an effect on early teams. For example, my current SS team consists of Murkrow, Kangaskhan, Elekid, Magby and Dratini, alongside Croconaw. It takes the magic out of the game progression. Although, our teams can be more diversified with greater options, I suppose. Other PW annoyances are;

-Number of steps needed for non-workers. I work 10 hours a day and take 16000+. 9 year old Jimmy quite possibly couldnt achieve this.
-Your PW Pokemon doesnt gain any level-up moves, and
-You have to return your PW Pokemon each day to receive the level-up.

Also, the improvements that should have been made from Platinum. There should have been an increase in boxes, so that you can catch and store each Pokemon, and formes and Unown, and still have space to store Pokemon in-training or Shinies. But my biggest annoyance is this:
If Gamefreak were planning on releasing HG/SS, then firstly, why did we have to capture all of the Johto Pokemon in DPPt? Now, having achieved a full dex without obviously Celebi and Deoxys, I have to do it all over again. And now there are Sinnoh Pokemon to catch. *grumble*

That is my rant. I hope the fact that I love HG/SS is not missed, however. But, I do have a question: If I have max-EV trained a Jolly Weavile with, lets say, 24 Speed IVs, then bred it for an egg, does the egg IV increase, or stay random? And how would this transend into breeding in HG/SS?

Amonitas

^^You could look legendary dogs locations from pokedex in the original games.

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
Well, aside from the errors that multiple trainers have illegal Pokemon (such as having a lvl 11 pigeotto or a lvl 40 Dragonite etc.) I don't notice anything that bugs me too much...except Jynx. I still think the purple skin was a bad idea...i liked it better when it looked like a female Mr. Popo...but i digress...

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
I find the whole HM thing to be a real pisser, and I don't seem be able to unlearn HMs to.

This is upsetting :(

I mean, I basically need to find a Pokemon to teach all the important HM's to if I wanted to really min/max my party. This means I'm exploring with five instead of six Pokemon.

Ultimate Glalie

I find the whole HM thing to be a real pisser, and I don't seem be able to unlearn HMs to.

This is upsetting :(

I mean, I basically need to find a Pokemon to teach all the important HM's to if I wanted to really min/max my party. This means I'm exploring with five instead of six Pokemon.
Like in other Pokemon games, the Move Deleter can make your Pokemon forget HMs. In HGSS, you can find him in Blackthorn City.

PokeFandom

Shiny Pokemon Hunter
I really wish you could turn off when a pokemon follows you sometimes because it can be quite annoying staring at that same pokemon on your team after youve beat the game

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
Like in other Pokemon games, the Move Deleter can make your Pokemon forget HMs. In HGSS, you can find him in Blackthorn City.
Thanks for that bit of info :) Good to know!

It's still a pain though, the HM thing. It would be nice if they were an item that was held by the Pokemon and useable out of battle.

Maybe make it optional as a trainable skill since a few of them are worthwhile (like surf for example)

But it would be better if I could just make one of my Poke's hold something and then use the moves rather than taking up 1/4 of the moveset.

R_N

I'm assuming that Snowyarticuno is talking about Pokedex completion not rarity.

Yeah, it's sort of odd that one doesn't even have the option of going on the GTS for them, is all.

Meanwhile Kanto starters, for being so rare, are everywhere

Blue_Ringed_Umbreon

Egg Count: 326
Today I got Pokerus! So, Nurse Joy gives the normal speil. Then about 15 mins later, Prof. Elm calls me to tell me about it. He explains that Pokerus "doesnt really do anything, so its not important. Dont worry about it"........ O...M...G!!!
Could have been nice to change what Elm says, especially since they went to the trouble of having him call..........
Sooooooo awesome to have Pokerus though!!!!

SneaselClaw

It actually amuses me how some characters don't change their set dialogue at all during the game, you'd think that after 100 Larvitar eggs the Day Care man would stop being surprised by it and actually figure out where the eggs were coming from, lol.

Jasper Kazai

Ice Cold Milk
I'm extremely annoyed how they didn't make the way you earn a Dratini from the man in the Dragon's Den more self-explanatory inside the game. Why? Because it's annoying as hell to see 3 posts per page in this thread and in the help thread are posts asking why they didn't get their Dratini. I would attack the people making these posts, saying they need to read around more, but really, it's not totally their fault. At no point in the game do they mention returning to Clair and then returning to the man in the Den. I was able to figure this out myself, but still. A little more guidance would have been nice for everyone else. (Especially those who didn't play the originals so they didn't know Clair would be a *****.)

Beotium

Mew-Overlord
First it was the japanese that made it hard for me since I technically played it without knowing something of the language at all. So I had to trust my Child memories of my Gold-version. So yeah that Tegepi thing was the first serious obstacle to encounter..

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
I hate how the cutscene of the legendary isn't on the other versions game; like Ho-oh in Soulsilver, there's no cutscene, it's just already there. Unless they ran out of memory to put it in the game, Gamefreak just likes to make us fans angry.

In Heart Gold, facing Lugia isn't the key point in the game, in Soul Silver it is, but not Heart Gold.

Ho-oh doesn't get it in Soul Silver either.

See it this way.

You get the Master Ball from Elm, you go beat the kimono's, and they go to whatever place they have to go, they start doing an ancient(?) dance, and Lugia/Ho-oh make an epic appearence.

Otherwise, just watch it on Youtube. GOSHNESS.

ddrt

Octillery should not be allowed to use any fire moves.(period)

Crawdaunt is holding quick claw… however bug type moves are super effective against him? what?

And trick room can go eat a sausage!

ddrt

Octillery should not be allowed to use any fire moves.(period)

Crawdaunt is holding quick claw… however bug type moves are super effective against him? what?

And trick room can go eat a sausage!

hitoshura0

Octillery should not be allowed to use any fire moves.(period) Stinks when his shtick is all beam skills, so Flamethrower fits the bill

Crawdaunt is holding quick claw… however bug type moves are super effective against him? what? Crawdaunt has always been weak to Bug attacks, it's Water/Dark. I don't see what the possibility of priority 1 has to do with it.

And trick room can go eat a sausage!Gimmick gyms are fun, no?

Comments in bold.