• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Anything in HGSS make you angry/confused?

IcyRose

Serebiis Drama Queen
What confuses me with the games is that people say Lyra and Kris are one and the same. I mean, how can they be? It makes no sense at all-or at least, not to me.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Things I LOVE about HGSS:
-Having a Pokemon follow you! It reminds me of Yellow. However, it is kind of hilarious when a Pokemon does something that seems unlike its species. For example, "ALAKAZAM let out a mighty ROAR!" or "LAPRAS spun around in a circle!" while on land. And my Staryu being afraid of heights on the cliff west of Cianwood.

-The Pokeathlon! I like it better than Contests, and it's easier to make smoothies than Poffins IMO. Plus you don't have to have your Pokemon load up on smoothies before trying an event.

-The Pokewalker! I think it's a great way to get items and Pokemon. I got a Dratini early in the game thanks to it! Plus it's a good way to level up Pokemon that are difficult to train.

-It's now possible to control almost the whole game with the touch screen. It was kind of frustrating back in D/P having to navigate back and forth between the X button and the stylus during gameplay.

-Being able to take pictures of your Pokemon party.

-The new Safari Zone system. I love the idea of having different zones and being able to swap them out. It's unrealistic, but it's awesome anyway.

-Being able to register two items instead of one.

-Being able to catch Murkrow and Misdreavus earlier in the game! Back in G/S/C I hated having to go all the way to Mt. Silver to find a Misdreavus.

Things I hate about HGSS:

-Not being able to evolve Magneton!!!

-It's very hard to get Evolution Stones (except for Sun Stones) before beating the E4.

-Pokemon can gain only one level at a time in the Pokewalker.

-No Day Care app--have to bother calling the Day Care Lady to check on the levels of Pokemon in daycare.

-You can't access the Move Deleter/Relearner until you get your 7th badge AND stop the Radio Tower invasion. In D/P the Move Relearner was available after the second badge (third in Platinum).

-No Secret Bases. I liked them being in various locations in Hoenn in R/S/E.

-No Underground!

-Game Corner. I actually like the Voltorb Flip because it's near impossible to lose all your coins playing it. Still, I do wish there was a bit more variety there, because Voltorb Flip gives me a headache after a while. I miss the Clefairy Bonus slot machines from D/P--those were the best.

Flamin_Lumineon

~Shiny Hunter~
There is one thing that really bugs me... how can you get shiny Pokémon now? I mean, it was a great feature in d/p/pt to introduce chaining. So far, i've got 4 different shinys because of it! (ok, i'm not exactly a chaining expert but yeah) So what happened in hg/ss? I know there is the masuda method, soft reseting and obviously 1 in 89 whatever chance in the wild, but this was all in d/p/pt too. They should of put in a new feature.

Last edited:

sVx Shadow

Shadow Pokemon FTW!
- hate how long it takes to get coins and that you cant buy them. but i like the voltorb game more than the gambling games.

- how you cant buy evolution stones and that you have to do the pokeathelon thing.

- This might just be me but having to talk to the guy in front of the elite 4 to let you in all the time, if i go there its because i want to. I mean i understand the first time but that should be the only time.

mewfanforlife

This could just as easily have been said about Platinum, but in the battle frontier when your Pokemon and your opponent's faint at about the same time, you lose. My Kingdra beat the Sharpedo, but then fainted from recoil damage, so I lost my 118 win streak.

SpecialAcez

Cool X Dangerous
I dislike the fact that you need to obtain 30 points in Buena's password game before you can obtain her number. (She's the only person whose number I have yet to obtain!) Another one would be placing and removing the Safari Zone block items as I find it time consuming. I preferred the Safari Zone in D/P/Pt.

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
Tracking down Gym Leaders all over the place can be annoying, as well as having to check up on Daisy, the Safari Zone and Buena every day. Ugh. Having to do time-based events consistently is a pain.

SoulFang

Wolf Lover
I think its annoying that they dont have dragon claw as an egg move for todidile, and i know its part of advertising, but i HATE it when the commercials make the game look a lot better than they actually are

Chimecho3000

Also Totodile does get Dragon Claw as an egg move, it's the only way it can get it. I'm assuming you meant TM, but at least Feraligatr gets it.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I wonder why they removed the ability to warp back to your home via the Abra in the E4 building.....
That was one of my favorite features back in G/S/C.

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I wonder why they removed the ability to warp back to your home via the Abra in the E4 building.....
That was one of my favorite features back in G/S/C.

Probably that's because now you can just go back to your home and even other places in Johto by using Fly, but yeah, I kind of miss that feature too.

Last edited:

Shadow XD001

One thing I don't like is the Team Rocket Storyline. It wasn't very interesting and seemed kind of rushed and even Archer (who I think was the leader after Giovanni's departure), seemed pretty easy to beat and my Team was slightly under leveled at the time. Platinum's Storyline seemed much better.

Also, it's really hard to get Evolutionary Stones, because in FireRed/LeafGreen, you could just buy them at the Department Store, so I thought that was the case in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Unfortunately, wrong.

My friend had a Magneton in his SoulSilver, so when I hung out with him, I checked on Serebii.net if you could evolve a Magneton in HG/SS. It said you had to trade it to D/P/Pt, so I traded his Magneton to my Platinum and leveled it up in Mt. Coronet. So annoying how the creators couldn't have fixed this problem in HG/SS.

hitoshura0

One thing I don't like is the Team Rocket Storyline. It wasn't very interesting and seemed kind of rushed and even Archer (who I think was the leader after Giovanni's departure), seemed pretty easy to beat and my Team was slightly under leveled at the time. Platinum's Storyline seemed much better.

It was worse in the original G/S/C. They were at a lower level then, and the Executives weren't named or had original sprites. Besides, the whole level thing is wonky in this game to begin with.

Also, it's really hard to get Evolutionary Stones, because in FireRed/LeafGreen, you could just buy them at the Department Store, so I thought that was the case in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Unfortunately, wrong.

Again, something that was highly improved from G/S. In those, you could only get one of each of the elemental evolution stones, with a potential unlimited source of Sun/Moon Stones. It isn't as easy to farm the Stones as in DPPt, but they are still plentiful:
-Pokeathlon prizes
-BCC prizes post E-4
-Phone call gifts
-Trade from DPPt

My friend had a Magneton in his SoulSilver, so when I hung out with him, I checked on Serebii.net if you could evolve a Magneton in HG/SS. It said you had to trade it to D/P/Pt, so I traded his Magneton to my Platinum and leveled it up in Mt. Coronet. So annoying how the creators couldn't have fixed this problem in HG/SS.

Nothing really they could have done for this, as there were no good places to put the evolution spots. That and the whole "Gamefreak is a business, and would like more of your money" thing.