• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Apes, Dragons, and balls of Fluff

Zachmac

Warning: If you dislike gimmicks, avert your eyes. This may cause them to burn.

Also, as a reminder for you mods, this is not just a joke team. It's still meant to be as viable as a silly concept like this is, so I am actually putting it here expecting competitive input and discussion based off this idea.

547.gif
546.gif
189.gif
555.gif
006.gif
264.gif

Yeah, yeah, Linoone doesn't get mentioned in the title. But he gets to be in my avatar, so I think it's pretty fair.

At first glance, this team is horrible. Weak to common threats, terrible synergy, walled by any have decent defensive core...and it's got a Linoone! I look like a total noob, right? Well, this team was not made because I'm bad at competitive pokemon, but it was because I get bored easily. I honestly made a team with a defensive Alakazam and a Substitute Shedinja before. Oh, but enough about that - this thread is about the team posted hear. The team with the beat, the drummers and the cotton ball, the suicidal balls of fluff, whatever you want to call it. Anyway, this whole team is based off two masochistic moves; Memento and Belly Drum. Back when I was a noob, if anyone here remembers, I had a team were I used a Whimsicott with Memento to help my Smeargle use Belly Drum and then Baton Pass to a Gyarados. This inspired me to make this team right here, with two more kamikazing cotton balls to hang out with Whimsicott.

And now, on to the team. It's not following the form exactly, though, since I only exported it from PO, rather then typing it all out myself.

547.gif

Whimsicott (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Memento
- Stun Spore

This pokemon has one simple job; Taunt to stop stealth rocks, then use Memento and hopefully let a teammate set up. Light Screen is always helpful against special attacking leads, and stun spore is just dead annoying, but those two moves are just fillers if anything.

546.gif

Cottonee (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 Spd
- Memento
- Stun Spore
- Taunt
- Encore

Here we have Whimsicott's little sister, with the same basic job. She, however, tends to use stun spore more then taunt. The reason is because she's who I tend to send out if it was a choice scarfer who messed up my earlier sweep, or just some speed freak like Jolteon. Encore is just there to annoy, really, but it's just a filler.

189.gif

Jumpluff (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Memento
- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- Stun Spore

Here we have the third sister, Jumpluff. Stun Spore is always annoying, and it's great to use encore on an EQ user who took about Darmanitan so that I won't have to sacrifice her to help Charizard set up, but the move that really sticks out on her is sleep powder. Sometimes, I'll come across a pokemon like Slobrow who is just so bulky, it can finish off my Belly Drummer even after they've set up. Since Darmanitan and Charizard are so similar on this team, it really helps to use sleep power to remove a counter of check of theirs. And then their is the usual Stun Spore and Memento, yada-yada...

555.gif

Darmanitan (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide

My favorite belly drummer of all time. Inspired by 4th gen's classic SubstituteBellyZard, Darmanitan hits like a truck, thanks to sheer force and it's massive attack stat. In case you don't know how SubstituteBellyZard works, it simply uses the combination of Substitute and Belly Drum to bring itself to 25% HP and activate the Salac Berry. Though the PO format doesn't show it, I've got it's IVs set up so it's HP is divisible by four. Rock Slide is also surprisingly good coverage.

006.gif

Charizard (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- ThunderPunch

The same as Darmanitan, but with T-punch to hit those rain teams and water types. It also serves as a good back up if Darmanitan has be taken out earlier in the battle, or vice versa. I may lack Sheer Force, but at the very least, it's got Blaze to make Fire Punch a lot more powerful.

264.gif

Linoone (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Dig
- Belly Drum

Raticate has it's whole counter+fear thing, Biberal hangs out with baton passers, and Watchog/Furret are just...Watchog and Furret. But Linoone is where the regional rodents get really interesting. Gluttony allows it to bring itself down to half health and still activate it's berry. While in lower tiers a sitrus berry may be useful to help it's bulk, it's defenses are nothing in OU, and it's just a waste of an item, so I use the salac berry to get an edge on Gengar. Extreme Speed is STAB and will always hit first, even when opposing enemy priority moves, making this Linoone an offensive force to be reckoned with, even if it's paralyzed. Shadow Claw is to hit those nasty ghost, and while Dig is usually considered a bad idea, it's essential to defeating Steel and Rock times who laugh at Extreme Speed.

This RMT was made mostly to show off and less because I needed help, but go ahead and rate.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
since it's mostly showing off, I won't do a big rate :p
-Rocks kill you, when mispredicted.
-Taunt shuts down your entire strategy (Tornadus, Sableye).
-Linoone can use Seed Bomb, to not get killed by a Steel's EQ.
-Skarm phazes any of the sweepers, rendering it useless.
-Before the sub, many pokes outspeed you.
-And since 3 pokemon are suicidal, it's basically 3v6, so a player seeing through your strategy shouldn't have that hard a time.

Those are my points of critic, hope they help you in some kinda way.

SuperNUuser

Supreme NU User
^^ Taunt may not ruin the strategy due to the abundance of Pranksters in his team. Since his pranksters have 252 speed EVs each, their increased priority status moves might be able to outspeed the Kami Trio's and Sableye's increased priority status moves. However, Jumpluff would totally suffer from the Prankster Taunt. For rocks, yeah. most of the Pokémon in the team would take terrible Stealth Rock damage. But after all, the Grass-type Pokémon could do something to those Rock-types and Ground-types and the Fire-types could counter those pesky Steel-types. So his team might take a chance but still, needs a lot to improve.

GreatGonzales

The Master
Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on a great first post / thread. A lot of newbies make awful threads, but not here. (I'm serious.)

I presume you know that you have a tremendous fire weakness? Heatran absolutely murders you. Not so much Volcarona, but they can both easily take out half your team. My suggestion would be getting rid of cottonee. This team is pretty wacky so I don't know what to suggest, possibly your own heatran, or a bulky water?

Ilan

OU? why not UU? this team KOes it'sself your opponent doesn't even need to do anything.. azumarill 0-6 es with ice punch and aqua jet (it needs to switch though..) and also most bulky water types.. scarfed pokemons beat your salac users and stelth rock make charizard cry..

Also linoone is really weak evewn at +6 it just have 700 attack which is like.. SD scizor but SD scizor is less risky.

superstar

OU? why not UU? this team KOes it'sself your opponent doesn't even need to do anything.. azumarill 0-6 es with ice punch and aqua jet (it needs to switch though..) and also most bulky water types.. scarfed pokemons beat your salac users and stelth rock make charizard cry..

Also linoone is really weak evewn at +6 it just have 700 attack which is like.. SD scizor but SD scizor is less risky.

Scizor doesn't get STAB Extremespeed. Linoone is arguably the better sweeper once it is set-up, it's just more difficult to set it up. Like Ilan said you should really play this team in UU. Darmanitan's speed is much better in the tier where many common scarfers are base 95 or below instead of 100, and there's no rain to deal with. I might suggest Sunny Day on Whimsicott if you never use Stun Spore because then you activate Jumpluff's Chlorophyll and power up your attacks even more.
You should post a PasteBin of the team in action so we can see it.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Litterally any team that packs...

Priority
Entry hazards
Skarmory
A setup sweeper
Cloyster
A fast Ghost (Gengar or Scarf Chandelure, for instance)
Ditto

Or any number of other things beats you.

Prankster Sableye is particularly *****y, as it essentially makes your entire team useless. You're right about one thing, it IS a gimmick, but it's so situational that it's simply not practical. SubDrummers shouldn't ever leave NU, and even there they aren't great.

EDIT: Oh, and Sand/Hail teams screw you over too.

Klaus™

Banned
Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on a great first post / thread. A lot of newbies make awful threads, but not here. (I'm serious.)

lol, guess youve never seen zachmac before....

just so this isnt spam, one thing i see is that you have no stealth rocks. this allows so many things to wall this team it isnt even funny, and your only check to those things is a +6 linoone, which requires a turn to set up.

a good sucker punch user also hurts, but im unsure if it goes through extremespeed or not, or if sucker punch is set at +1 priority unless attacking.

honestly, i dont see this team working. i would love to see vids of it in action though, just because its so....creative? lol.

Ilan

Actually linoone is the only decent belly drummer I know the rest are not half as good as linoone.. I would probably keep 1/3 of the team (probably whimsicott and linoone) and build a team to support them better like one with a spiker, a SR and a spinblocker so you could really sweep with linoone another thing to the team should be magnezone/magneton to murder steel types.

Zachmac

Woah, uh, that's a lot of post, and I'm being lazy, so I'll just read them and not really respond...
Actually linoone is the only decent belly drummer I know the rest are not half as good as linoone.. I would probably keep 1/3 of the team (probably whimsicott and linoone) and build a team to support them better like one with a spiker, a SR and a spinblocker so you could really sweep with linoone another thing to the team should be magnezone/magneton to murder steel types.
Meh, the whole concept of the team has about having a team based completely around the concept of this...I guest I could alter this team to be more serious about winning, I'd do that. It is what I do with most gimmicks, after all. This one was just such a funny concept I couldn't resist.

Anyway, at the very least, I decided I will bring this to UU for now, but if I do make the changes to support Linoone alone, it's definitely going to be brought back to OU.
Check out it's nature and do another calc.

That's definitly tougher then Scizor. And if I were to use regular sweepers, wouldn't that ruin the whole point of this memento gimmick?
lol, guess youve never seen zachmac before....
Yeah, I've been here for a while. I've made a couple disappearances, but I never seem to be able to leave for too long. I'd only come back recently, and I don't really recognize him, so I'll bet that they just joined after my last disappearance.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
This team is hilarious xD I've stopped by several times just to look and laugh.
But the thing is, three... Whatever the heck you'd call a pokemon at that position is just too much imo. You may want to replace Jumpluff with something with Stealth Rock or even Ninetails, since your team is so great in the sun. Well, two of your attackers are, and I'd say two out of three is kind of a lot...
ANYWAY, you're going to want either a spinner, a SRer, a combination of the two, or a backup pokemon to take hits and dish them out. Maybe Celebi, for the bulk and synergy?
EDIT: Sorry for bringing back an old thread, I just thought it was more recent.

Last edited:

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Hm... wow that is actually see that being really smart in competitve...
tho 3 memento-rs? that seems like a bit much. not my team tho, so watever.

anyway, since u said its not really up for rate, i just gotta say ONE thing. k, first, i only will change one move. not because u said not really looking for reviews, but because its the only mistake i see.

WHAT, will u do when u find a defensive water type like slowbro or blastoise. u have 2 belly drumers that are fire! now dont get me wrong, u should be able to tell from my signature and avatar and username that i love fire types, and charizard especially, but hey, i dont want to bet the odds of darmanitan on blastoise. so, all ill say is, mayb that rock slide on darmanitan could be overheat? DONT YELL AT ME PLZ! lol. but think about it. doesn't that kinda solve a the problem i developed? its kind of a one use move, and because u arent using any other sp. atk. moves, does it affect u tht much? yes? well just try 1 or 2 battles with that set, and maybe it could benefit u.

and anyway, i understand this is just a gimmick set, and...
GOTTA SAY I LOVE IT! REALLY SMART. tho memento nvr works 4 me...
:(
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahaha

Ilan

Hm... wow that is actually see that being really smart in competitve...
tho 3 memento-rs? that seems like a bit much. not my team tho, so watever.

anyway, since u said its not really up for rate, i just gotta say ONE thing. k, first, i only will change one move. not because u said not really looking for reviews, but because its the only mistake i see.

WHAT, will u do when u find a defensive water type like slowbro or blastoise. u have 2 belly drumers that are fire! now dont get me wrong, u should be able to tell from my signature and avatar and username that i love fire types, and charizard especially, but hey, i dont want to bet the odds of darmanitan on blastoise. so, all ill say is, mayb that rock slide on darmanitan could be overheat? DONT YELL AT ME PLZ! lol. but think about it. doesn't that kinda solve a the problem i developed? its kind of a one use move, and because u arent using any other sp. atk. moves, does it affect u tht much? yes? well just try 1 or 2 battles with that set, and maybe it could benefit u.

and anyway, i understand this is just a gimmick set, and...
GOTTA SAY I LOVE IT! REALLY SMART. tho memento nvr works 4 me...
:(
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahaha

Overheat on darmanitan.. well I say yes with that base 40 sp.attack it will hit like a magikarp.
rock slide and thunder punch are there for a reason.

zachmac do you intend to make this team a little more serious?

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I wouldn't worry about using Linoone in OU, I've laddered to #50 in OU using an NU team (beating ginganinja along the way), using the sheer offensive power of Linoone.

The only thing I would question is using Shadow Claw over Seed Bomb. The only ghost in OU that can survive Seed Bomb is Gengar, which kills you first anyway (and I'm not completely sure it does survive Seed Bomb), wheras using Seed Bomb gives you more room against things like Hippowdon and bulky waters.

Also, I would try SubSeed Annoyer Cottonee, just for fun. It's not really an improvement.

GL with trolling people with this.

Atrocious

Where's the dual screens. I ran a Linoone set in 4th Gen when my UU ranking started to tank on Shoddy (got to rank 13) and I'd assume dual screens + memento is a must, Uxie says Hi. Uxie > Jumpluff

Uxie @ Light Clay
Nature: Impish
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- U-Turn

U-Turn allows it to hold momentum to throw up screens later again and Memento is used as Uxie's last god to the team persay lol.