• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Apocalypse Dawning: the Preview

Yami Ryu

I'm actually posting something in the Authors Cafe?

Oh dear.

Anyways the only rule I have is; don't point out the typos. Why? Because I know I typo. And the last time I asked someone to point out typos, a person had a complete ***** fit. Ah I won't forget that anytime soon.

And people call me mean. Heh.

Anyways.

This is a rough draft, as it's still in the works and may be re-written slightly, moderately or extensively as I go along as well this is the first work I want, as perfect, as my current skills will allow.

The actual prologue will undoubtedly be longer as for now I just have 'two parts' of a prologue. Which my goal is to not be in parts but to flow from one sequence to another to let you experience the misadventure of 'Rain' as she is dubbed for the time being.

As Yami is unable to think up a good name at the moment.

Also, this is based off a wierd *** dream I had- but after discussing it with Myuu I did ponder over what she said and decided that it might not make a bad story. I might publish it I might not, if I actually finish it lol.

Anyways.

It was the begining of the end. But at the time, I doubt anyone knew that. Well, except for the fanatics that were utterly faithful to the word, they probably knew. And were probably the first to safety. But chaos decended like a maddening virus across the lands, and it was unexplainable. No where was safe but people still tried, those in fear of the unknown or the known.

My family was one of those packets of humanity. Father had told mother and us to gather our things, we were leaving. We knew better than to comaplain, even if it had been our home for ten years, fifteen, or twenty, or more, depending on our age, or how long our parents had been there, safety was first. And the madness seemed to be spreading.

I packed light, a few books, my diary. A photo but I thought, why would I need that? But still packed it anyways. A set of clothes, a pair of shoes. Swiss army knife, my father always clamored that we keep some form of protection on us. And a small plush that I had since a child, it was ratty and old but it still somewhat resembled a bear.. or a bunny... it was something and it was mine, and I loved it dearly. Even if a material object. A few other things I grabbed, but they didn't really matter as I quickly hurried out of my room, helping my little brother as my elder helped mother with a suitcase that deffinately was not a few nessisary items, but we knew better than to tell mother off.

It was a quick sprint to the car; mother and father had the front seats and we three piled into the back seats, buckling in and making sure we were all set and ready to go. Safety first. But as we were buckling in father started the car and was already pulling out of the driveway. But no one dared chide him, fearful of getting scolded or having the truth pointed out to us.

It was like a warzone in places as we sped through town, just under the speed limit. We weren't the only ones getting out of the place like drowning rats out of a ship, and for good reason. It wasn't just burning cars that littered places where riots and mobs had gone through, infact we and a few others were going down a street that a riot had just passed. You could tell this by the rounds of gunfire in the short distance as cops and people duked it out..

I said a small pray for the police as I knew my mother most likely did the same.

I didn't really listen to my elder brother as father continued to dodge overturned cars and objects that were best left to the imagination. I just covered little brothers eyes and shushed his questions as he asked why were they all still? What was all that red on the ground?

But unlike him I could not be in awe and wonder from the surreality of the situation. I was just horrified, but could only keep quiet and try to keep myself from freaking out. This was alot different than seeing people on the news dead after an accident, or injured after some psycho nut student shooting his fellows, this was reality in your face and packing a punch.

I heard myself mumbling out; ‘Why god.. why.’ but no answer came. No answer ever came.

Just a terrible, horrible screeching sound of a car trying to break as someone desperately and madly pressed the little plate of metal that could save your life.

And then silence.Darkness. Nothingness.

... Smoke. Smoke filled my nose and mouth. Burning, choking smoke. I cry out, and gag. Screaming and drowning at the same time, before somehow, some way I'm free. Free from the wreck, body bleeding, clothing ripped. I'm missing a shoe. But I'm alive.

Wait, wait, Mom, Dad! Mike! Adam!

I try to call out for them, but I'm left gasping and hacking, it feels like I'm dying, but I don't want to die! And where were they!?

My weak body collapses to the floor, shallow breathing comes and goes. Everything goes black again.

Gasping a young woman shoots upwards, a worn grey blanket falling off her form and pooling in her lap as she sat there wide eyed and trying to regain her breath as her heart beat wildly, hiding all sounds from her ears as she was flooded by the roar of her own blood and heart. It took several moments before she recovered enough to push the blanket off her lap the rest of the way and she pulled herself out of the old bed. Dust was stirred up slightly as she moved from the bed and about the room, almost as if confused. Grey eyes turned almost steel in color from emotions flickering in their depths. Confusion, fear, anger.

It takes time for the confusion to leave her, and allow her to understand what has happened. A small noiseescapes her as she stumbles through the room, heading to the door. ‘No no no’, she begs silently in her mind but her sore body is deaf to her pleadings as all she wants to do is curl back up in her world of nightmares. But without a thought to bid it so a hand reached up as she closes the distance to the door and grabs the doorknob, turning it and pushing the door to open it.

Nothing happened for a few seconds and then, with a creak, the blackend door opened with a groaning sound that almost could have made it seem like this was some movie set in a horror show. But it wasn't.

The house was dark and silent, as she opened her bedroom door. No light filtered in from windows, there was no sound from outside. All was dark and silent.

But it was all a lie.

Her breath catches in her throat as she remembers more. And remembers this isn't her bedroom, it's a bedroom but not hers.. and grulping from fear as she finally kicks some of the shock and after effects of the drugs from her system, she tries to be quiet as she gets out of the room. Stumbling, she manages to catch herself and not make to much of a racket as she glances around with wide eyes.

As she surfaces more mentally, she remembers. Remembers what she doesn't want to, remember what she has to. Remembers what she wishes she could forget for the rest of time. But it all clamors to be remembered, to be focused on. Nearly overwhelming her as with unsteady legs, she heads as quietly as possible down the stairs. Her destination is the front door. And then.. then anywhere.

She could hear them now as she reached the bottom of the steps; they were talking again. Discussing and arguing amongst themselves, but she didn't care, freedom was only a few feet away and her heart seemed to roar in her ears again as she stood there as she trembled from fear and desperation. Closing her eyes momentarily, she gathered what little wit and courage she had left, and snuck for the door. A silent prayer escaped her as she went to open it, and this one was silent. They would remain unaware and she slipped into the dark, where not even a cricket chirped and broke into a sprint without a second thought.

The girl quickly disappeared into the night.

It was on the seventh day, of the seventh month of the seventh year. Rain remembered it clearly, when everything came to a stop. That was the day her family disappeared. When they were taken, and she was left behind. To die a horrible death in a car accident. But even then she wasn't allowed to be taken with her family up to the stars above; no. It was like God decided he would be cruel to her, and cast her aside. Forsaken on a road when she came to. Bloodied and broken, near death. The days had been lost to her, but her fate wasn't to die.

It had been something much worse.

That day, that moment. That second in her life, Rain decided one thing.

God hated her. God did not love all. God had abandond her to rot on the hellish earth.

So Rain accepted her fate. Accepted her life.

And then three years after she had accepted her fate, had then escaped from it. She had come back and gutted the men that had destroyed what little life she still had left to live.

There was no justice. There was no goodness. This was a horrible, dark and bleak world.

And Rain loathed it. But it was the truth of things; the angels waged war with the demons every day. Every day souls left on the earth were lost to one side or another. No one truely cared about them, no one truely cared about Rain. All they were, were pawns for both sides. A sick and twisted game of ‘I'm better than you’ but the prizes were real people.

Not that they were real prizes, Rain mused. But does it matter?

Shaking her head a bit to clear her thoughts, she can count on one hand how many years it's been since her life was destroyed, and on the other, how many years it's been since she destroyed her destroyer.

Eight years.

She was, she guessed twenty-three years old, give or take a few months. It was hard to tell the time of day when the sun was stuck in the same position, either setting or rising, but always frozen in that same position in a blood red sky that angels and devils swarmed and fought in.

And as if on que, in the distance rang out what could be mistaken for thunder. But Rain knew what it was. All the people in this small town knew what it was, but ignored it. For that thunderous crashing wasn't that from a storm, but the clashes between the two forces that continued to fight over the earth. But Rain, like the others here, didn't really care about the noise that rumbled and threatened in the distance.

And this was because the people in this town had found the plans, and the makings, for something that could and would turn the tide in their favor..

But Rain had plans of her own...

And the goody goody bit the plot;

Pretty much as what I have in my sig atm, should hint at, and the second part should also uncover, is the fact that there is a war going on between heaven and hell. And the souls on the earth are those left over, unable to go to hell or heaven they are left seemingly forsaken on the bloody battlefield that earth has become, trying to survive another day, another hour, another minute, another second.

The story focuses on mostly 'Rain' and her trials and tribulations, I think that's the word, as she 'accepts' her 'fate'.

And that's all I'll say.

Since I can't be on my computer much longer, I'll make my stuff very quick.

These snippets are extremely good. Well written, an intresting story (so far). A bit of action here, a bit of red stuff on the ground there. A battle between Heaven and Hell, with those caught between paying the price. Troubled main character and (presumably) people trying to find their way in the world admist the ruins of which you have so meticullously described.

I'm looking forward to reading this. If you do post this, that is...

Thanks. PocketmonMaster.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
You know, I really like that! The concept of souls trapped underneath an unearthly war is quite exciting and you seem to have a good idea of what you want from it. Especially because such a situation would be so unlike our own, there are a lot of awesome characters you could plug in there and create.

I did get a bit confused about the car accident and the burning (?) house Rain was in. Did her parents die there, or in the car accident? Or what happened with them, exactly? Might have been my erronous reading, or whatever, but I was left a bit confused. XD

Only thing want to comment on, regarding improvement, is possible getting a beta. I know you said you didn't want to be talked to about typoes, but there are a lot of words in this story that are so grossly misspelled that I doubt they're accidental typoes due to hitting the wrong key. "Deffinately" and "nessisary", for instance.

A beta would also help with the occasional switching in tense - starting in past, but having a sudden present tense and vice versa - though there are only a couple, and the sentence structure. Your writing style is exciting, but occasionally gets confusing because you have random commas or the sentence isn't quite finished. With the help of a beta - and I'd be willing to serve as one, if you want - I'm sure that would be a thing of the past in no time.

Don't think I'm just doing this because it's you, because it isn't. I really enjoyed the idea and you have a certain flair for describing a struggling woman dealing with mayhem and destruction. Your description is really well-done and thought-provoking, so I definitely look forward to seeing this story play out.

It all sounds very exciting. ^^

Good luck!

duncan

Yes, nice job. The plot sounds very interesting no doubt, and I like how you played up the demons and angels fight. The sun forever being stuck at the same point is also very good as well.

Your style is very interesting. I like the vague, bare bones kind of way you started it off. Left plenty to the imagination, which can make for a very nice touch.

However, like Silawen said, there were quite a few typos and misspellings. Even running it through a word processor (OpenOffice works well if you're cheap like me) would help quite a bit, really. The switches in tense weren't terribly noticeable, but were enough that a beta could help.

But that's small compared to what you have here. A nice, fresh plot coupled with an interesting style surely looks like a good fic. Nicely done, I'll be reading.

Yami Ryu

I guess I should have elaborated on the typo problem; It's not that I don't want to edit them to their correct spellings, or want to turn a blind eye to them. I don't, and find it annoying when I should know the spelling, but since this is a rough draft and my main concern for the time being is getting it set up and in place, not, whoopsie, typo.

After it's all said and done I don't really need to use anything other than note pad and a online dictionary :D

And ofc a new keyboard cause several of the screw ups that have been happening lately is because space bar is dying.

And I already know of my tense switching problem, but it's not going to make me get a beta. As there's only one person I'd ask anyways and the problems that 'would be fixed' probably wouldn't. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to fix it on my own.

I'm now just hoping the completed work gets the same 'standing ovations' as the rough draft seemingly does.

Elemental Charizam

Sudden Genre Shift
A photo but I thought, why would I need that?
|
V

A photo - why would I need that?

Change it somehow, anyway. It's terrible syntax as it is.

She was, she guessed, twenty-three years old, give or take a few months.

I highlighted the additional comma required.

You're still having a lot of problems with punctuation, grammar and syntax. It's very distracting when trying to read something, as you have to correct it in your head as you do so. It makes complete immersion pretty much impossible, especially if, like the first example, the fix involves more than adding in a comma.

The plot could be interesting if written right. Beware of lacing the narrative too strongly with pity for the protagonist.

Last edited:

Yami Ryu

Lol I thought I had the right number of comma's for that bit >.>

Beware of lacing the narrative too strongly with pity for the protagonist.

Eh.. it's no so much pity, but a christian/catholic turning into a bitter/sour athiest of sorts, hating god and the devil equally, and the actions/events that caused it.

Atleast prologue wise. The story is more than that- as the hints should hint at.

And:

I packed light. My diary and a photograph were the first things I grabbed; even though I knew the items weren't necessary.

There, fixed. Mostly.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
I guess I should have elaborated on the typo problem; It's not that I don't want to edit them to their correct spellings, or want to turn a blind eye to them. I don't, and find it annoying when I should know the spelling, but since this is a rough draft and my main concern for the time being is getting it set up and in place, not, whoopsie, typo.

-

And I already know of my tense switching problem, but it's not going to make me get a beta. As there's only one person I'd ask anyways and the problems that 'would be fixed' probably wouldn't. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to fix it on my own.

The thing is, though, that most of them don't look like typoes to me. Since most of them don't just have one mistyped letter, but several, they seem more like wrong spelling than anything else. Which could be helped by using something like Word, or - if you'd prefer a free download instead - Open Office. ^^ I could give you the link, if you want.

Just out of curiosity, but...why don't you want to get a beta? It's very hard to correct something you do wrong regularly, because you often don't even realise it's a mistake, and that is why working with a beta might be extremely helpful to you.

Have you had bad experiences with betas, or something? :)