• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

April 12th: PM2019 021 - Hit Your Mark, Wave Guidance! Satoshi and the Mysterious Egg!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
The scan in question wasn't intended for long time fans. They weren't the intended audience. That is what I meant.
I know it is not what i meant as he just doesn't really think of that as most of us is not noob to Pokemon anime show anymore since we were a young kids ourselves.

J. D. Guy

I can understand why they kept this a mystery of sorts since it's an egg and all... but I wonder how much they feel a majority of this base doesn't pay attention to merchandise lol.

Anyway, I'm all for our new aura user overlord

Well, keep in mind the likely intended audience for the red herring mystery done for simple fun.

Essentially, the forumgoers here took a fun little game for Japanese youths too seriously. Keep in mind, those on this forum who follow Pokemon Anime merchandise reveals only do so for the sake of satiating their own speculations. Few here do so for the intended purposes of making a buying decision. That's what those merchanidse reveals are for. Not for reading the tea leaves. The tea leaves being there is just a happy coincidence.

I still stick with what I said earlier, 10 something pages ago, in that these non-Riolu options were meant to be deliberate red herring "possibilities" to make for a cute and fun little guessing game as lead in for the young Japanese viewers into the upcoming episodes.

I know it is not what i meant as he just doesn't really think of that as most of us is not noob to Pokemon anime show anymore since we were a young kids ourselves.
I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to convey.

Last edited:

Redstar45

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to convey.
What i meant by say that is that he does not think about kid's view at all but his views only that it .

Redstar45

We have not really seen Aura since DP. So is this yet another sign of continuity?
Who know? It could be connected to Lucario's kind that it .

dman_dustin

An aside clarification to this line. The Pokedex choice was not a problem. It was a feature. A deliberate choice to make a standalone Pokedex for a region in order to invoke and call back to how the original Red and Blue/Green games worked. And the Anime team didn't come off as having any sort of issue with this arrangement. In fact, they made it work, right up until they began incorporated the aspects and features of Black 2/White 2. And it did work, thanks to the the robustness of Unova's regional Pokedex (which was greater than Kanto's 151).

For this I specifically meant that they chose to go with the games and only primarily use 5th generation Pokemon, and it seemed like they were forced, not that I'm saying they were forced against their will, but rather the decision of the producers who thought it was acceptable. "Forced against their will" in this case would only apply to the executive producers, as a job is a job, it's not really up to the grunts to decide what goes on, whereas the people who make specific decisions, their hands may be tied. Maybe not against their will, but they chose to impose restrictions.

Sure it's not the same, but since I don't know the politics of the anime with the games prior to 8th generation, I'm really just left speculating.

For this point, that is not how year-round Japanese Anime works. Things being normal, they don't go on hiatuses. They create Anime-orignal content that explores new ideas and/or expands on old ones. or that adapts source content in new, more viably beneficial ways for them. (Anime Contests are probably the biggest example of that last point. League Tournaments probaly make for another good example of this notion in action, arguably to the point of getting recursively adaptated into the Sword and Shield games.)

Hiatus was the wrong word, I meant heavily impacted. But I can imagine there could be a hiatus if there are specific restrictions (which I'll touch up on later) place upon the anime, after all that was the point I was making, was restrictions, not freedom to do as they please.

Sure, you could make the argument that the show will go on, but I do think depending on the "when" it will have a serious impact. I wasn't suggesting they would take a hiatus immediately or that a situation like that would happen. But if it happened in the middle of a generation, and there were working on the end of a generation (anime wise), and the games being delayed 6 months or a year would have to affect the anime previously in earlier generations. It never happened, but I'm saying it was always a possibility. Likewise if the game producers suddenly decided to cut a year off and release a generation earlier (though given the anime team enough time to adapt to this change), there would have to be big changes, IF the model was to take after the games, and restrictions were imposed onto the anime as such.

Since they're far more open they don't HAVE to encounter that problem. I'm just saying ANY game situation in the past could've heavily impacted the anime if we are talking about a lengthy time. Remember for a year long series to work they have to extremely far and concise with the structure of the series, they need enough time to compensate for any drastic change in their plans, it just can't happened too suddenly because eventually its going to show, with likely lesser quality episodes to compensate the need to "make stuff up" this is Pokemon after all not South Park, who apparently can make an episode in about a week or less if need to. There needs to be a lot of dedication/work put into the show like Pokemon for it to be the year long series that it is unlike other year long series that are much easier to manage if they are year long.

As for the hiatus problem, I mean let's say there was a fatal error in the next generation game that would delete your entire data on your gaming device, and the games got pushed back 6 months or a year because it wasn't something that they could just fix with a patch (and they only found out about the problem too late, probably an unrealistic scenario but go with me for a moment). The anime could indeed finish off the generation with episodes, but if the game can impose restrictions on the anime, because the anime is tailored to market the games, then they may not be able to continue airing the episodes as normal. I don't know if that would happen, as that's never happened before, perhaps the anime would continue on, and hype people up, while they see these new Pokemon and situations and can't wait to get their hands on the game. I don't know if the anime is allowed to do that, I guess it depends on how much freedom the anime has, without violating some kind of agreement by Gamefreak/Nintendo, like I mean there's a reason why anime only Pokemon don't exist, right? And I truly mean anime only Pokemon, not anime only concepts of Pokemon. A galactic looking Rockruff or a Crystal Onix (better example) probably can go unnoticed. But they can't introduce something like Mega Flygon, right? if Mega Flygon doesn't exist.

And there could be a counterargument, they DO have all this freedom to do as they please, but they want to keep a healthy relationship with Nintendo/Gamefreak so they don't. Really again I don't know the politics. I'm just saying a world tour allows for a lot more freedom than potentially a show with restrictions. Whether its a restriction by an executive producer applies to the show or a restriction an even higher executive perhaps from the Pokemon games imposes on the anime team, they just have a lot more freedom to construct a show at their leisure rather than trying to fit the show with a 3-4 year time limit like past generations appear to be.

This was a lot more lengthy than I intended it to be.

J. D. Guy

Sorry. @dman_dustin . I took the chance to split this off into its own post, since it was getting too far away from the content in the one it was in.

but then again 5th gen anime had this problem

An aside clarification to this line. The Pokedex choice was not a problem. It was a feature. A deliberate choice to make a standalone Pokedex for a region in order to invoke and call back to how the original Red and Blue/Green games worked. And the Anime team didn't come off as having any sort of issue with this arrangement. In fact, they made it work, right up until they began incorporated the aspects and features of Black 2/White 2. And it did work, thanks to the the robustness of Unova's regional Pokedex (which was greater than Kanto's 151).

If for example a game was delayed by 6 months due to sudden happenstances, it would probably force the anime to be on hiatus, since they probably wouldn't be able to expect that.

For this point, that is not how year-round Japanese Anime works. Things being normal, they don't go on hiatuses. They create Anime-orignal content that explores new ideas and/or expands on old ones. or that adapts source content in new, more viably beneficial ways for them. (Anime Contests are probably the biggest example of that last point. League Tournaments probably make for another good example of this notion in action, arguably to the point of getting recursively adaptated into the Sword and Shield games.)

but I do think its to make up for the stupid giving away Haunter and not having it be part of his team. This one feels like executive meddling as with Buttefree/Lapras/Primeape/Pidgeot, and I feel like the newbies at the time who grew up to be heads of the anime, just didn't approve of those decisions back then. I feel like Gengar is making up for the fact Ash should've had a Gengar to begin with (without needing to deal with the mess of the idiotic trade evolutions).

While there is no true way to understand the underlying workings of the Anime development, because we obviously are nowhere close to being privy to such information (exceptions like Shudo's Blogs or headwriter interviews are a luxury, and also just that: exceptions), and while this post is clearly opinionated as its means of backing up the argumentative points you are making, I still feel that, argumentatively speaking, you were being too biased here. You were letting your personal preferences, biases, and disdains for certain aspects of the Anime -- particularly those prevalent within its earliest of days -- color your argument in ways that distracts and detracts from it overall. It is to the degree where you inject said preferences, biases, and disdains into the metaphorical "mouths" of the current creative team of the Anime, circularly reinforcing and justifying them. This is both sweeping and presumptuous, which are dangerous things in general and which also doesn't do the rest of your post the justice that it should.

Because outside of the points I have pointed out, this one being the most egregious so far (as I work my way down), your argument is in general a sound and reasonable one.

(Note: When I use argument here, I am using it in the academic sense of the term, e.g., an argumentative essay.)

but I do think its to make up for the stupid giving away Haunter and not having it be part of his team. This one feels like executive meddling as with Buttefree/Lapras/Primeape/Pidgeot, and I feel like the newbies at the time who grew up to be heads of the anime, just didn't approve of those decisions back then. I feel like Gengar is making up for the fact Ash should've had a Gengar to begin with (without needing to deal with the mess of the idiotic trade evolutions).

While there is no true way to understand the underlying workings of the Anime development, because we obviously are nowhere close to being privy to such information (exceptions like Shudo's Blogs or headwriter interviews are a luxury, and also just that: exceptions), and while this post is clearly opinionated as its means of backing up the argumentative points you are making, I still feel that, argumentatively speaking, you were being too biased here. You were letting your personal preferences, biases, and disdains for certain aspects of the Anime -- particularly those prevalent within its earliest of days -- color your argument in ways that distracts and detracts from it overall. It is to the degree where you inject said preferences, biases, and disdains into the metaphorical "mouths" of the current creative team of the Anime, circularly reinforcing and justifying them. This is both sweeping and presumptuous, which are dangerous things in general and which also doesn't do the rest of your post the justice that it should.

Because outside of the points I have pointed out, this one being the most egregious so far (as I work my way down), your argument is in general a sound and reasonable one.

(Note: When I use argument here, I am using it in the academic sense of the term, e.g., an argumentative essay.)

You can argue that he should've gotten it before, but as I said, obvious EXECUTIVE MEDDLING is obvious. It's clear to me that either old strict bullcrap head producers retired/died and were replaced with producers more willing to be lax. OR these old producers realized it was in their best interests to finally give these Pokemon to Ash.

This is more of what I said above. Your biases and disdains cause you to frame this in a malicious light, even with no real cause to assume such, outside of holding to those biases. Also, contrary to the given TV Tropes name of the c0ncept, it isn't a bad thing to have oversight and editorial.

Likewise, another option not considered here is the idea that perhaps the same higher-ups felt that different times call for different measures, and that the measures of yesterday were viable then and the measures of today are viable today. Not ever instance of dichotomies in design/production philosophy indicates regret for what came and was done before. Could that be possible some of the time? Sure. But likely not so in the style of being absolutely repungnant of what was done prior. (May and Dawn's respective Contest and Coordinator tenures along with Ash's involvement in them works as a nice example of the idea where the creative team wished to do things in an alternating way based on prior experiences from when they did it previously that does not hold explicit disdain on what they did previously.)

Otherwise, again, I enjoyed and also appreciated your post and the perspectives it placed forth. It just needed to be careful of and reign in some of the more distracting and detracting elements of bias and disdain within it.

Redstar45

Battle Bond Lucario?
We have A Mega Evolution for Lucario 's kind . No more gimmick for Satoshi since he had a two of his Pokemon had some sort of a gimmick to them

Last edited:

xinfernapex

Sinnoh Champion
I wounder what short of move that Ash's Riolu might be?
I’ll be happy as long as it has Aura Sphere and Meteor Mash when it evolves. As for when it hatches, maybe it could use egg moves, hopefully Bullet Punch, High Jump Kick or Cross Chop. Other than that I could see Quick Attack and Counter being some of its first moves.

Let us all celebrate the fact all these useless non-Sinnoh Lucario arcs are over with and that it shall never be yet another obstacle in Ash's path. Yet again. And again.

But anyhow.

YES.

You are joking, right? By the end of this series Ash will most likely dump Lucario and next series we will get more Lucario. They can go a series without Charizard or Greninja but Lucario, not a chance.

Battle Bond Lucario?

I was waiting for this. There was a person on Youtube who wanted GF to release an Ash-Greninja form. Was wondering how long it will take to reach these parts. But there's more. One group was of the opinion that since they have waited for more than a decade for this, now Riolu should stay out of its Pokeballs. What more, the Pokemon bashing is back too. Some people think that Go should keep Raboot inside its balls because it will hog screentime that rightly belongs to Riolu.

dman_dustin

I’ll be happy as long as it has Aura Sphere and Meteor Mash when it evolves. As for when it hatches, maybe it could use egg moves, hopefully Bullet Punch, High Jump Kick or Cross Chop. Other than that I could see Quick Attack and Counter being some of its first moves.
It actually can get Meteor Mash as an egg move, though only in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, the reason is because Smeargle can't be obtained in Sword and Shield.

Otherwise, again, I enjoyed and also appreciated your post and the perspectives it placed forth. It just needed to be careful of and reign in some of the more distracting and detracting elements of bias and disdain within it.

Okay for this I hope this clears most of your points about bias.

But let me explain my "opinion" in the context of generally what that means. My opinion is not set in stone, well in the context that it largely depends on the circumstances, my opinion could be considered set in stone in the very specific context that my opinion derives from.

So for example my thoughts against people who hate Pokemon for example, might be set in stone. Believing "Person L" is a Pokemon hater and my opinion on his words/perspective could alter as more information is revealed in which case my opinion of "Person L" changes. However the perspective of a specific situation and the context that forms my opinion that's what my opinion is set in stone, applying only to that specific context. If the context changes obviously so does my opinion. I'm someone who can only uphold my opinion of a hypothetical situation not the reality which could alter my opinion.

In other words, my bias or opinions on this could easily alter if new facts are revealed or more information is revealed. But if what I believe is TO be true is true than my opinion will stay as is and if it is untrue, it is my opinion of that hypothetical situation that will remain. For example, my thoughts of racist people/situations aren't going to change, just because I misunderstood a situation, instead I won't see that situation/people as racist.

But as such with the concept of "altering my opinion" I will concede that at the time I didn't offer a possible resolution to my issues. Which I did think up last night before I went to bed as I read your comment. It is entirely feasible, that the primary reason they chose to do what they did boils down to two reasonable possibilities: 1). They did not have enough resources and 2). They couldn't do the story justice at the time primarily because they did not have enough resources.

And yes that definitely puts the executive producers in better light, and not some malicious head entity, which is more fair than what I was painting them as. That being said, I don't necessarily think it detracts from my point in regards to the criticism of "Why not then, why now?" Instead it does detract from my opinion about the executive producers being the ones at fault, or even a higher entity being at fault. And at the very least I could've been nicer about my perspective of events, but honestly resources or not, justice or not, I just fail to see why in the one problematic situation why they bothered to try and have go get a Ghost Pokemon only for it to only be used for plot purposes, and completely ignored, was it right/fair to make Sabrina that overpowered?

So while I can never know what goes on within the show, why the decisions are being made, yes I will admit there could've been a better interpretation of events but in all honestly that just adds to the pool of possibilities not really detracts from it. But I get your point, I didn't have to go with a worst case scenario mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.