• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

April 23rd: PM2019 063 - Challenge! The Pokémon Water Obstacle Course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Please no. It's already going to be a filler, let's not make it worse.

We've got a date, title and a brief three second clip.. Can we just take a moment and sit back and hold our judgments until we actually see the episode?

Yes, I think this could be a filler, but we don't know that for sure yet.

dman_dustin

We've got a date, title and a brief three second clip.. Can we just take a moment and sit back and hold our judgments until we actually see the episode?

Yes, I think this could be a filler, but we don't know that for surepassed.
It's not a PWC nor Ash catching a Pokemon episode. I really don't care otherwise.

Another filler, bah. Where are Iris and Gary?

This probably means they going to change pic of Gorebyss from the one in XY with Ash and Serena (Gorebyss supports Amour!)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Watershuriken97 said:
I'm so surprised seeing this many people dislike Dracovish, it's such a standout from this gen from competitive value to concept to type, but I suppose that's always personal preference.
Just because a Pokemon may be competitively viable in the games doesn't guarantee that it'll be loved by anime viewers. I personally think Uonoragon is grotesque, but the same applies to so many Pokemon that Satoshi owns, so I'm not as critical of it since I'm sort of used to being disappointed by his captures. I still think Uonoragon deserves screen-time, in any case.

Locormus

Just because a Pokemon may be competitively viable in the games doesn't guarantee that it'll be loved by anime viewers. I personally think Uonoragon is grotesque, but the same applies to so many Pokemon that Satoshi owns, so I'm not as critical of it since I'm sort of used to being disappointed by his captures. I still think Uonoragon deserves screen-time, in any case.

I still don't get why 'grotesque' is a criticism for the Galar fossils. They're SUPPOSED to be butt-ugly per reference to fossils being mismatched in the early 20th century. They're supposed not to line up perfectly. Have you seen the thing the 'Vish' is based on? It's hideous. They actually made it look camera friendly. There's literally no way they could've made a Dunkleosteus aesthetically appealing even if they tried.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I still don't get why 'grotesque' is a criticism for the Galar fossils. They're SUPPOSED to be butt-ugly per reference to fossils being mismatched in the early 20th century. They're supposed not to line up perfectly. Have you seen the thing the 'Vish' is based on? It's hideous. They actually made it look camera friendly. There's literally no way they could've made a Dunkleosteus aesthetically appealing even if they tried.
If you cook food badly on purpose to make bad tasting food, it doesn’t make people want to eat it anymore than if you only accidentally made bad food.

Everybody and their mother already know they were made monstrous and ugly on purpose. Doesn’t mean people who don’t like how they look would suddenly like them and be fine with their appearance.

Locormus

If you cook food badly on purpose to make bad tasting food, it doesn’t make people want to eat it anymore than if you only accidentally made bad food.

Everybody and their mother already know they were made monstrous and ugly on purpose. Doesn’t mean people who don’t like how they look would suddenly like them and be fine with their appearance.

This is a really bad comparison. The emulation of the bad food shouldn't be seen as food meant for consumption, but as the art of recreation. It's a reference. It's he reference that should be judged here, not the taste of the emulation.

It's more like they're basing a pokémon of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and people whine because "It doesn't look like normal spaghetti! WTF! They made a flying heap of Spaghetti and expect us to like that! It doesn't even make sense?!"

It should be one of those things where you go: "Ugh, that looks weird/ugly", then you look up the reference and you understand it, and by understanding it the design will grow on you and you'll like it for the reference. Otherwise you're just stuck at the superficial fase.

Just to be clear - everybody can like whatever they want.

But the opposite side of things would be saying "I dislike Marill because it looks cute". It's always been designed to look cute, so I can't criticize it for that, because in terms of design it obviously is succesfull at the job. The Galar fossils have always been meant to be whacky, crazy, awkward/'grotesque' in design. Saying they're grotesque is saying they succeeded in their design choice.

So in closing, what Leonhart could've better said was: "it's not my kind of pokémon, I think I'm not alone in that", or "I like the more aesthetically pleasing pokémon - and I think many others do as well".

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
This is a really bad comparison. The emulation of the bad food shouldn't be seen as food meant for consumption, but as the art of recreation. It's a reference. It's he reference that should be judged here, not the taste of the emulation.

It's more like they're basing a pokémon of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and people whine because "It doesn't look like normal spaghetti! WTF! They made a flying heap of Spaghetti and expect us to like that! It doesn't even make sense?!"

It should be one of those things where you go: "Ugh, that looks weird/ugly", then you look up the reference and you understand it, and by understanding it the design will grow on you and you'll like it for the reference. Otherwise you're just stuck at the superficial fase.

Just to be clear - everybody can like whatever they want.

But the opposite side of things would be saying "I dislike Marill because it looks cute". It's always been designed to look cute, so I can't criticize it for that, because in terms of design it obviously is succesfull at the job. The Galar fossils have always been meant to be whacky, crazy, awkward/'grotesque' in design. Saying they're grotesque is saying they succeeded in their design choice.

So in closing, what Leonhart could've better said was: "it's not my kind of pokémon, I think I'm not alone in that", or "I like the more aesthetically pleasing pokémon - and I think many others do as well".
Everyone who says they don’t like it because it looks ugly and a abomination, is free to do so. People can like and dislike things based on their appearance if that’s what they’re judging it by. There are people who like weird and abstract stuff and hate cutesy stuff, and also the opposite. Saying they have to appreciate it because that’s how it was intended to be just sound pretentious af. Sure if people are going out of their way to judge it as a concept it would be different, but clearly people have only been going by how they like the appearance.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Everyone who says they don’t like it because it looks ugly and a abomination, is free to do so. People can like and dislike things based on their appearance if that’s what they’re judging it by. There are people who like weird and abstract stuff and hate cutesy stuff, and also the opposite. Saying they have to appreciate it because that’s how it was intended to be just sound pretentious af. Sure if people are going out of their way to judge it as a concept it would be different, but clearly people have only been going by how they like the appearance.
I think that what makes this a really pointless debate, is that the fossils are literally meant to be ugly. Sure you can dislike them based on how they look, but to use the argument that they're ugly just seems pointless, since the only real answer to that is "well duh that's the point"..

I personally find them cute and derpy, despite their initial "ugliness", especially Dracovish.. but I can understand that they won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I think that what makes this a really pointless debate, is that the fossils are literally meant to be ugly. Sure you can dislike them based on how they look, but to use the argument that they're ugly just seems pointless, since the only real answer to that is "well duh that's the point"..

I personally find them cute and derpy, despite their initial "ugliness", especially Dracovish.. but I can understand that they won't be everyone's cup of tea.
I don’t even think it’s an debate. If people call them ‘ugly’ as a negative, then they obviously consider ‘ugliness’ a bad thing. What’s even the point of continuously pointing out that’s what they are supposed to be? It’s still bad in their eyes.

Just let people like and dislike what they want intead of making it a debate of how people should feel.

Locormus

I don’t even think it’s an debate. If people call them ‘ugly’ as a negative, then they obviously consider ‘ugliness’ a bad thing. What’s even the point of continuously pointing out that’s what they are supposed to be? It’s still bad in their eyes.

Just let people like and dislike what they want intead of making it a debate of how people should feel.

Because it's a really Tinder-like superficial take? It's the saying "don't judge a book by its cover", ever heard of that?

And I wasn't saying that people should appreciate Dracovish while being ugly, because that's how it is intended to be. I'm not telling anybody what to think.

What I am saying is simply asking to look past the superficial and judge something on the entire concept. When something is obviously meant to not be superficially pleasing, one might better learn to appreciate it on basis of the reference or of the fresh twist on the fossil-gimmick that these fossils gave the franchise.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I love Dracovish but the “it’s supposed to be ugly!” line doesn’t mean people can’t dislike it because of the fact. Understanding why something is the way it is doesn’t mean criticism of it is invalid. I don’t understand why people are hung up about it though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.