• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

April 26th: SM72 - Ta-Dough! Burn with Passion, Mao's Family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

My first thought was either Aromatic Mist or Aromatherapy personally but both would be a little too similar to Sweet Scent.

Aromatherapy would at least have a lot of potential to use outside this episode, and let's face it, Mallow and Steenee NEED some more recurring use.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Please tell me Steenee isn't going to evolve...
Steenee isn't evolving in this episode. It's Mallow's pot that's glowing, and you can see Steenee standing right next to her in one scene.

On top of the fact that, as I said earlier, Steenee evolving would involve it having to learn Stomp. Unless Mallow has trouble kneading bread for some reason and the writers have no trouble with bread that had Steenee/Tsareena's feet in it, there's little need for Stomp in this scenario.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Steenee just needs some involvement, some way her character and abilities contribute to Mallow's agenda. A bit more personality development would likely help as well. Hopefully they don't just spam the Rowlet gag.

I'm really hoping these two episodes flesh out Popplio and Steenee a bit more, right now even the secondaries are starting to overtake them in development.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Steenee isn't evolving in this episode. It's Mallow's pot that's glowing, and you can see Steenee standing right next to her in one scene.

On top of the fact that, as I said earlier, Steenee evolving would involve it having to learn Stomp. Unless Mallow has trouble kneading bread for some reason and the writers have no trouble with bread that had Steenee/Tsareena's feet in it, there's little need for Stomp in this scenario.
But I still wonder why Mallow's pot is glowing though. Is there any chance that Mallow's glowing pot will lead/relate to Steenee evolving in this episode? I wonder....

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Is there any chance that Mallow's glowing pot will lead/relate to Steenee evolving in this episode? I wonder....
I doubt that the glowing pot is involved in the evolution of Steenee at all. Steenee isn't glowing at all and there aren't really any hints Steenee is evolving soon so I doubt Steenee will evolve here.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I doubt that the glowing pot is involved in the evolution of Steenee at all. Steenee isn't glowing at all and there aren't really any hints Steenee is evolving soon so I doubt Steenee will evolve here.
But their weren't any hints either when Mallow's Bounsweet evolved into Steenee. Probably in the second preview of that episode we saw Bounsweet glowing and glittering and then we got a hint of Bounsweet evolving.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
But I still wonder why Mallow pot is glowing though. Is there any chance that Mallow's glowing pot will lead/relate to Steenee evolving in this episode? I wonder....
How would Mallow's pot glowing lead to Steenee evolving when Steenee needs to learn Stomp to evolve in the first place?

That doesn't look like the glow of evolution anyway. It's more of a golden color, while the evolutionary glow is like a blue or white color.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
How would Mallow's pot glowing lead to Steenee evolving when Steenee needs to learn Stomp to evolve in the first place?

That doesn't look like the glow of evolution anyway. It's more of a golden color, while the evolutionary glow is like a blue or white color.
Does the anime really needs to follow the stomp criteria strictly?

I honestly just imagined a scenario that the glowing pot would be a important plot-point/part/moment of the episode which could lead to Steenee evolving in this episode, or maybe the glow infuences Steenee to evolve.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Does the anime really needs to follow the stomp criteria strictly.

I honestly just imagined a scenario that the glowing pot would be a important plot-point/part/moment of the episode which could lead to Steenee evolving in this episode, or maybe the glow infuences Steenee to evolve.
... Steenee learns Stomp, and it evolves. That's all there is to it. To not follow the Stomp criteria strictly would be to give it a different evolution method altogether. The anime has done this exactly one and a half times in its entire history. There is literally no reason to do away with the Stomp method for evolving.

Like, this isn't even comparable to Goodra, because that at least still followed the rain criteria from the games. This would be more like that random Weepinbell evolving into Victreebel without a Leaf Stone from Johto.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
... Steenee learns Stomp, and it evolves. That's all there is to it. To not follow the Stomp criteria strictly would be to give it a different evolution method altogether. The anime has done this exactly one and a half times in its entire history. There is literally no reason to do away with the Stomp method for evolving.

Like, this isn't even comparable to Goodra, because that at least still followed the rain criteria from the games. This would be more like that random Weepinbell evolving into Victreebel without a Leaf Stone from Johto.
It followed the rain criteria, but still contradicted the games. Rain induced by Rain Dance can't trigger the Sliggoo evolution in the games, but it did there. So the Goodra point counts.

So does the Johto example of Weepinbell, and please don't dismiss as early installment wierdness, because OS Johto wasn't as wierd as OS Kanto. In OS Kanto, I admit that many wierd things happened, and most events that happened there can be dismissed as early intallment wierdness. But OS Johto was far more closer to the overall norms of the anime.

Honestly, I'd rather have Steenee evolve here rather than not. Mallow's barely getting anything at all, getting shafted like anything, and finally she gets an episode focused on her. She at least should get something out of this episode, like an evolution.

ShadowForce720

It followed the rain criteria, but still contradicted the games. Rain induced by Rain Dance can't trigger the Sliggoo evolution in the games, but it did there. So the Goodra point counts.

So does the Johto example of Weepinbell, and please don't dismiss as early installment wierdness, because OS Johto wasn't as wierd as OS Kanto. In OS Kanto, I admit that many wierd things happened, and most events that happened there can be dismissed as early intallment wierdness. But OS Johto was far more closer to the overall norms of the anime.

Honestly, I'd rather have Steenee evolve here rather than not. Mallow's barely getting anything at all, getting shafted like anything, and finally she gets an episode focused on her. She at least should get something out of this episode, like an evolution.

No the Goodra point doesn't count because of the fact that while in the games it can't evolve through Rain that's caused by it's own Rain Dance, the point is in both cases Goodra still evolved in the rain, basically what your saying would be like have Sliggoo evolve into Goodra without being in the Rain and completely ignoring the Rain requirement for evolution. As for Weepinbell yes it was pretty much early series weirdness considering that was literally the only time something like that happened where the evolution method was changed to completely different one considering Weepinbell normally evolves through Leaf Stone, and there it evolved without it, however we haven't had a case like that since.

What your saying would involve completely changing Steenee's method of evolution and considering how the anime tries to be close in terms of evolution requirements to what the games are with only taking liberties by stretching the requirements a bit but still following the requirements, so no matter how you try to argue this the point is it's extremely unlikely that Steenee is somehow going to evolve without learning Stomp, if it does evolve in this episode then it will likely learn Stomp during the episode and then evolve.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
No the Goodra point doesn't count because of the fact that while in the games it can't evolve through Rain that's caused by it's own Rain Dance, the point is in both cases Goodra still evolved in the rain.
No it isn't, because it wasn't a natural rain, it was a rain induced by Rain Dance, which can't trigger evolution in the games. So yeah, the Goodra point5 counts.

As for Weepinbell yes it was pretty much early series weirdness considering that was literally the only time something like that happened where the evolution method was changed to completely different one considering Weepinbell normally evolves through Leaf Stone, and there it evolved without it, however we haven't had a case like that since.
I can't really consider it as early series wierdness because it was in OS Johto, not in Gen 1 anime OS Kanto - Orange Islands. In Gen 1 anime, a.k.a. OS Kanto -Orange Islands, I agree that wierdness obviously existed, with plenty of ridiculous things happening like real life animals, real life locations, Pokemon using upto 10 moves, Ash having a crush on a girl, etc. etc., but in Gen 2 anime OS Johto? It was quite close to the conventional norms of the anime and not nearly as much wierd like Gen 1 anime OS Kanto - Orange Islands.

So I really can't dismiss the Weepinbell example as early series wierdness.

What your saying would involve completely changing Steenee's method of evolution and considering how the anime tries to be close in terms of evolution requirements to what the games are with only taking liberties by stretching the requirements a bit but still following the requirements, so no matter how you try to argue this the point is it's extremely unlikely that Steenee is somehow going to evolve without learning Stomp, if it does evolve in this episode then it will likely learn Stomp during the episode and then evolve.
Maybe it could involve something in this episode which is related to the glowing pot which would lead to Steenee learning Stomp and evolving. It is entirely possible for Steenee to learn Stomp in this episode and evolve. But if it doesn't learn Stomp somehow, do I think that Steenee can't evolve in any other way? I'll say no.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The pot glowing is probably just a representation of how delicious whatever inside it is.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Maybe the glowing of the pot also exists to build tension because it makes it seem that Mallow's meal is going to be good but not necessarily and there could be a twist that Mallow's meal wasn't as good as we initially expected and that could be an indication that her goal is not easy to reach and needs quite a bit to work to get there.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

OR when Sylveon randomly evolved despite Eevee only knowing Swift, Protect and Double Team. And the fact Serena and Eevee “had” this ultra strong bond according the writers that made it evolve, despite Eevee only being caught for about 16 episodes.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
OR when Sylveon randomly evolved despite Eevee only knowing Swift, Protect and Double Team. And the fact Serena and Eevee “had” this ultra strong bond according the writers that made it evolve, despite Eevee only being caught for about 16 episodes.
Ah, so there's another example in the anime where the game criteria wasn't followed. Guess there's a real possibility now that Steenee could indeed evolve in this episode.

DatsRight

'Cop out' evolutions and boosts tend to be more liable to happen when the writers don't have anything else for the Pokemon/trainer to do or are alternatively in a rush to put them in top condition. Goodra's arc had to be quick so they had a huge splurge of miraculous move learns and evolutions, same for Noibat and Eevee who were getting too close to the end of the show so suddenly evolved into powerhouses with 'the power of really really wanting it'. It's especially noticeable for Noibat who got maybe one or two moments of limelight before then and was still extremely novice last time it battled.

Bounsweet sticks out because thus far SM has been trying to avoid too many abrupt boosts (almost all of Lycanroc and Torracat's power boosts were trained for or story segregated), but then again they couldn't think of anything else meaningful for her to do and Steenee is ending up worryingly the same. Her and Mallow aren't really good at driving plots or getting much intuitive to do, so handing them progression to keep them on form does seem more likely.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Ah, so there's another example in the anime where the game criteria wasn't followed. Guess there's a real possibility now that Steenee could indeed evolve in this episode.
I think that happened for specific reasons:

As DatsRight said the series was closing and only had a few episodes left (which makes you question why Eevee was captured so late but whatever)

The writers were probably to lazy to teach Eevee Charm and have it gradually bond with Serena besides the whole “I’m going to help you get over your shyness” plot.

Although it definitely means that the writers pick and choose which evolution rules the want to follow since Dawn’s Ambipom and Mamoswine evolved how they were suppose to via Double Hit and Accident Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.