• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

April 28th: XY&Z024 - The Forest's Curse and the White Phantump!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand if you don't pay attention to the thumbnails, but in actuality the thumbnails they are completely random. I think I remember a Serena focused episode having a Thumbnail about James.

Zapdos and Noivern episode had a basic image of all three legendary bird Pokemon. They are mostly random.
But other times they aren't though, some episodes that we didn't know were Clemont focused and showed Clemont in the thumbnails actually had him has a significant character in that episode. Alone, the thumbnail might not mean anything too much. That's true and I agree and understand what you're saying. But just to reiterate because I don't think people are understanding me too clearly, add that with everything else we've seen currently and to me, it doesn't look like it adds up to a likely capture at this point. Honestly, I feel like if this wasn't Phantump, people wouldn't be arguing too strongly and instead people would call it a filler with Bonnie involved and all the movie and merchandise stuff, more people would use that as back up.

I've always said this "not enough time in the trailer" obviously Diantha/Wulfric/Alain/Team Flare would obviously be more important.

I mean look at the upcoming episodes preview for the year showed us. They actually showed Yashio talking to Serena which ONLY happened a week before Noivern.
Obviously previews are not going to show everything but here were two things that I mentioned: 1) the episode got skipped over in the previews. Wulfric's gym episode hasn't had its title revealed meaning that they didn't bother to preview this one. While they didn't show a preview of Noibat's evo episode, that episode happened after the events of the preview. This one is happening in between, hence why I related it to the Noibat/Breloom episode instead and how because nothing too major happened in the Noibat/Breloom episode, then maybe nothing too major happens in this episode either. And 2) big previews like this showed Hawlucha's capture episode and I believe Goomy's capture episode too so that at least makes me think a capture is important to still be shown if it does happen. Those two things together, let me repeat, together, also make me think that we might not see anything.

On top of that the preview at the time catered to Ash's current Pokemon, and was in relation to the character bio page that referred to his team as a "5 man team" but of course obviously it makes sense that they wouldn't refer to Phantump, since its currently on the team. The bio was referring to Pokemon he had already on his team, no sense including another Pokemon JUST because it'll likely be on the team by the movie, this is a capture after all.
I'm just wondering, what constitutes using movie trailers and stuff as evidence or at least, hints then? Now bios can be updated, fine, but still, it was because of bios that spoiled pokemon leaving the team (Ambipom and Goodra). It was because of trailers that we found out about both Swinub and Gliscor. It was because of posters where we learned of Noibat or Buizel. Merchandise spoiled Hawlucha. We've been spoiled of any type of team change before the movie hits through whatever means. Honestly speaking, if it weren't for fans wanting a capture at this point, I don't think all this movie stuff would be debated as it is now.

Again, I do think it's still possible for a capture in this episode. I'm not one to write things off completely, but I don't think it's too likely given the things we know and I don't understand why movie, merchandise, etc. can't also be used to show that the movie promos don't care to spoil team changes. Because that's the argument I'm seeing is that, oh they're hiding the pokemon, but there's not an instance where they really tried to do that for an Ash capture (i.e. Noibat and personally, I don't see the difference between the short and the movie in terms of spoiling).

EDIT: Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic of the actual episode, I just wanted to clarify on a couple of things that were said. As far as this episode goes, I do think that regardless of what happens, that it'll be cool to see Forest's Curse in the anime.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Here's my problem with this episode.

Am I really to expect that to make up for the lack of Phantump in the anime they give us a shiny one, especially a very non important Phantump at that?

It's like they're specifically teasing those who actually like Phantump, and know that some fans want it on Ash's team.

But otherwise, I honestly could not see the point in a shiny Phantump if it wasn't going to be important, I mean what's the point if we're never going to see it again. I mean out of all of the Pokemon this one has been the most lacking in appearance (having only received a very small cameo (if you even want to call it that) in the Diancie movie) and they want to give us a very special one but it has no real importance?

I suppose I could accept the theory that the writer of the episode on top of the animator loves shiny Phantump and that's why a non important shiny Phantump would appear......but it still too weird for me. I mean other shiny Pokemon get a pass because they usually weren't as unique as Shiny Phantump is:

And by that I mean

1. A Pokemon that can be viably caught on someone's team. Shiny Hawlucha/Dragonair (belonged to other characters)
2. In relation to the 1st one, a Pokemon of the current generation.

True, maybe Phantump isn't wild and belongs to someone *deep sigh* but if it is wild, it wouldn't make any sense for a Wild Shiny Phantump to serve no purpose. It just wouldn't make sense. Something is off about this.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Here's my problem with this episode.

Am I really to expect that to make up for the lack of Phantump in the anime they give us a shiny one, especially a very non important Phantump at that?

It's like they're specifically teasing those who actually like Phantump, and know that some fans want it on Ash's team.

But otherwise, I honestly could not see the point in a shiny Phantump if it wasn't going to be important, I mean what's the point if we're never going to see it again. I mean out of all of the Pokemon this one has been the most lacking in appearance (having only received a very small cameo (if you even want to call it that) in the Diancie movie) and they want to give us a very special one but it has no real importance?

I suppose I could accept the theory that the writer of the episode on top of the animator loves shiny Phantump and that's why a non important shiny Phantump would appear......but it still too weird for me. I mean other shiny Pokemon get a pass because they usually weren't as unique as Shiny Phantump is:

And by that I mean

1. A Pokemon that can be viably caught on someone's team. Shiny Hawlucha/Dragonair (belonged to other characters)
2. In relation to the 1st one, a Pokemon of the current generation.

True, maybe Phantump isn't wild and belongs to someone *deep sigh* but if it is wild, it wouldn't make any sense for a Wild Shiny Phantump to serve no purpose. It just wouldn't make sense. Something is off about this.

I mean it's shiny, but besides that there have tons of other pokemon teased for a capture that didn't happen that also might have fans.

Veens

If this is going to be Ash's 6th capture, I'd find it odd, because his 6th capture never evolves. That would be a shame, since this is a special Phantump.

Nah, this Phantump is probably, as mentioned before, a pack leader whom Ash & co. have to help.

If this is going to be Ash's 6th capture, I'd find it odd, because his 6th capture never evolves. That would be a shame, since this is a special Phantump.

Nah, this Phantump is probably, as mentioned before, a pack leader whom Ash & co. have to help.

Snorunt, Gligar, and Sewaddle (literally a 6th capture and not just a 6th slot) all evolved.

I hope Ash gets the shiny Phantump. Shiny Phantump and Trevenant have always been two of my favourite shinies and I'm curious to see how Ash will use forest's curses in battle.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I could see Phantump being Ash's Buizel/Gible/Snivy of this generation: not the strongest, doesn't evolve, doesn't have a Infernape-like track record but still pulls off good battles once in a while.

To follow on what dman_dustin said, there actually is something fishy about having a shiny Phantump here. It will have taken 116 episodes for Phantump to finally make a debut in the anime (excluding the movie). Having a Pokémon wait this long to be introduced AND making it shiny only points out to something important happening to it. Had Phantump appeared/been caught in a earlier episode of the series, this one would probably have less relevance because we've already seen it.

dman_dustin

You missed an important part of my post.

1. We've never had a wild shiny Pokemon that could be viably captured as well as
2. Being part of the same generation it appears.

The last shiny Pokemon that fits those 2 criteria was Ash's Noctowl which he caught.

The other shiny Pokemon either belonged to someone else. Or if they were wild they couldn't be viably caught on top of not belonging to the same generation they were introduced in.

This Phantump appears to be by itself, a wild Pokemon and appears in the same generation it was introduced in.

So unless somehow Phantump couldn't viably be caught for some reason or belongs to someone, this shiny Phantump being here makes no sense.

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

Just a Bonnie focus episode... no capture happening.

because of one frame being shown right? Ya know how bonnie likes to cling to other people's cute pokemon "goomy, noibat, bunnelby, chespin", this shot could have easily been from a scene of the group eating and bonnie and dedenne trying to ease it into the group but it's shown to be a crybaby for some reason.

ShadowForce720

Let just & see plus I hoping Ash will get than Shiny Phantump & few more Pokémon later in XY & Z .

It's much more likely that his 6th capture for the region will be his last capture for the region. So either he winds up getting the Shiny Phantump or he will just probably get something else we will just have to wait and see. My advice to you and some of the other people that want Phantump to go to Ash don't get your hopes up to high here because even if this winds up being a capture episode the shiny phantump could just as easily go to Serena, Clemont, or perhaps even Jessie or James. Although I don't think any of Ash's rivals will show up and wind up getting the shiny Phantump.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Snorunt, Gligar, and Sewaddle (literally a 6th capture and not just a 6th slot) all evolved.

Snorunt and Gligar were the fifth captures of their respective regions, and in someways considering how Ash got Buizel, Gligar could almost be seen as his 4th capture due to technicality.

It's much more likely that his 6th capture for the region will be his last capture for the region. So either he winds up getting the Shiny Phantump or he will just probably get something else we will just have to wait and see. My advice to you and some of the other people that want Phantump to go to Ash don't get your hopes up to high here because even if this winds up being a capture episode the shiny phantump could just as easily go to Serena, Clemont, or perhaps even Jessie or James. Although I don't think any of Ash's rivals will show up and wind up getting the shiny Phantump.

As much as i'd like Ash to get another Shiny, I don't want to risk overhyping myself for something that might not happen.

Not to mention those who want Ash to catch it only for the sake of him filling his team as well as not evolving to maintain some kind of "balance" (And I ain't talking about type balance here) that I don't get, is ridiculous.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Lol I'll be pissed if she's the star here. She needs to stop befriending every living thing she finds.

I'm not a fan of how she bonds with many wild pokemon either, but since she's a kid I can of expect it and tolerate it. And at least she's bonding with an interesting pokemon this time. ^^;

JudySpell

Banned
Let just & see plus I hoping Ash will get than Shiny Phantump & few more Pokémon later in XY & Z .

At best he might catch this Shiny Phantump but I'm sure he'll stop catching more Pokemon in Kalos after ward since he'll have a full team. I dont think the chances of Phantump being captured are high though.

CupidKirby

Forest's Curse would be a good move to have on a team full of flying types. With how true the writers are staying with the flying theme, that does increase a Phantump capture's chances slightly. We'll have to wait and see.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Ash should definitely catch Phantump in my opinion. It is getting close to the league so Ash should be filling the last spot on his team.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
At best he might catch this Shiny Phantump but I'm sure he'll stop catching more Pokemon in Kalos after ward since he'll have a full team.

Yea even on the slim chance that he gets this shiny Phantump, I feel that he would stop catching pokemon in Kalos after that and that he would simply focus on the ones that he has so he can train them for the league. I dunno if he'd evolve the shiny Phantump however.

Status
Not open for further replies.