• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

April Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
'Ello, 'ello! It's time for Pokespe SwSh for February! First chapter of the new decade!

ERNcRN6VUAAsWt4.jpg

ERNcc4EU4AAlRgk.jpg

ERNcg3HUcAEwtCl.jpg

ERNcmEAU0AAi4IL.jpg

Team Yell debuts! And with them, a certain someone makes a cameo.

Our protagonists' uniforms are revealed. Like in the games, their numbers have a meaning.

Shi's number is 303, or March 3rd, the day Pokespe was first published in Japan (also Yellow's birthday).

Sou's number is 808, or August 8th, the day Pokespe volume one was first released in Japan (also Red's birthday).

Honestly? Kinda disappointing. I was expected these numbers, so I was hoping Kusaka would surprise me instead of going the obvious route.

Also that Gurdurr's here. Looking a bit bigger than we last saw it.

Last edited:

ShinyPokemon inc.

The Tower Master
The way they look up at Gurdurr is just like the games and I appreciate it so much. :D

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The way they look up at Gurdurr is just like the games and I appreciate it so much. :D
Oh. You mean how the four trainers in the Max Raid battles look all confident and determined when they look up at Gurdurr right? So... Gurdurr was teased at the previous chapter, is holding a weapon and one of the ways to end a Max Raid Battle is to send a giant pokeball... Sou's next Pokemon anyone? On another note, if they're taking on the Gym Challenge and it should come fairly early, I wonder if Shi already has more than one Pokemon at this point.

TotallyNotCrt

https://twitter.com/strawhatcrt/status/1230737469445828608

Short summary, but essentially:
They drive by, see the Pokemon Den and the red lights.
Shield gets her uniform outfits by a flying Pelipper.
Soudo gets one too. It both almost gets destroyed by Team Yell grunts because Marnie-related reasons.
Soudo and Shield bully them to come near the den and they equip their Dynamax Battle to start a Raid.
They fight a giant Gurdurr and Soudo captures it because Body Tool/Gear Meister-trainer themed reasons.
Marvin asks about Dynamax Band and Magnolia says she'll tell him all about it and about Soudo and Shield by being their traveling companion and the chapter ends.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Honestly the SWSH is failing to impress me so far, which is the first time it's ever happened with any manga. Not a fan of their names tbh, would have just prefered shield or sword. I do like that they changed the starter pattern. Shield (I'll just call them shield or sword for simplicity sake) isn't interesting to me at all yet. And while sword's career is v interesting to me, he himself as a character rn is meh. Preferred dia. Now this doesn't mean I dislike the manga. It's after all just begun. It's just that all the other Mangas had made an impression on me by the end of their first rounds. I'll love to eat my words in the end tho. This is the first manga since B2W2 that doesn't feel rushed imo and I hope it carries the pace, coz it has a lot of potential . Ofc there's also the fact I'm more hyped for B2W2 rn, so maybe that also has to do with my less enthusiasm rn. As for Marvin, im intrigued. Can't really say whether I like the fact he's a main character or not. Not a fan of magnolia so far. Team yell seems entertaining. Leon was adapted perfectly.

lolipiece

Staff member
Apparently, volumes 54 and 55 will release on April 24.

As for Marvin, im intrigued. Can't really say whether I like the fact he's a main character or not.

But he's not. He didn't receive a Pokedex and he doesn't have an endorsement, so he can't participate in the Gym Challenge.

At this point, he's just a maojor supporting, like Trevor and company in XY.

shoz999

I can see why the writer gave Marvin a Sobble as opposed to Hop which I wonder how he'll enter the story now? Max Raid Battles of course! Hop can join in but the difference between Hop and Marvin is that Marvin is tagging along with the group as opposed to Hop who'll probably travel alone from time to time again and it's a bit of a hassle to gather 4 character all at once everytime a Max Raid Battle happens.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Apparently, volumes 54 and 55 will release on April 24.

But he's not. He didn't receive a Pokedex and he doesn't have an endorsement, so he can't participate in the Gym Challenge.

Well I considered Trevor Shauna and tierno to be major characters so...

Moni_22

Honestly the SWSH is failing to impress me so far, which is the first time it's ever happened with any manga. Not a fan of their names tbh, would have just prefered shield or sword. I do like that they changed the starter pattern. Shield (I'll just call them shield or sword for simplicity sake) isn't interesting to me at all yet. And while sword's career is v interesting to me, he himself as a character rn is meh. Preferred dia. Now this doesn't mean I dislike the manga. It's after all just begun. It's just that all the other Mangas had made an impression on me by the end of their first rounds. I'll love to eat my words in the end tho. This is the first manga since B2W2 that doesn't feel rushed imo and I hope it carries the pace, coz it has a lot of potential . Ofc there's also the fact I'm more hyped for B2W2 rn, so maybe that also has to do with my less enthusiasm rn. As for Marvin, im intrigued. Can't really say whether I like the fact he's a main character or not. Not a fan of magnolia so far. Team yell seems entertaining. Leon was adapted perfectly.

I feel the same yet I'm also interested in what's gonna happen. I feel like for some reason this saga is taking its time with the beginning, while others by this point had already started on the adventure properly. Which is weird considering that lately the sagas have been shorter and shorter. I hope things start getting more interesting soon, there are still a lot of characters to introduce, and I'm curious as though how the story is going to progress.

G-SANtos

The Gurdurr is nicknamed Tekkotsun (after Dotekkotsu and "tekkotsu"/"steel frame") and Sirfetch'd is Ransun (after "lance"/"ransu"). The pattern for Soudo's nicknames seems to be "item + n (ン)", which was probably meant to prevent Sirfetch'd from being named Lance, which is also the Japanese name of one of Team Rocket's executives. By the pattern Grookey should be Stickun (スティックン).
Notably, all the weapons so far end in an "u" (う) sound. That makes me curious, about one thing: If Soudo catched Zacian, what will be its nickname? Ken already has an "n", so it could be Tsurugin. But if all of his Pokémon wield items that end in "u", Zacian doesn't fit. It would also go against my theory of Beet getting Zacian.

Shieldmillia's Scorbunny doesn't have a nickname, which is weird based on her personality, but maybe Kusaka hasn't decided on a pattern yet (I mean, we still haven't seen her using any other Pokémon).
And according to 5ch, Manabu nicknamed his Sobble Namida-kun, which means Tears-kun. While it's too early to tell, he might nickname his Pokémon after simple Japanese words or after emotions, maybe even specifically face-themed. For example, he might have a Mr. Rime nicknamed Egao-kun (Smile-kun), and also an Eiscue.

He didn't receive a Pokédex, but he also doesn't have a Rotom Phone (which he didn't even know was a thing), which is required for a Galar Pokédex. And the Gym Challenge bit is irrelevant because we usually only have one (if any) main character challenging Gyms.

Who could very well become Dex Holders in the full volumes, if Kusaka is really intending to break the name restriction, if the lack of the resonance sound in B2W2 is any indication.

Speaking of which, I was gonna bring it up in the previous thread by I forgot. When Magnolia talked about the Pokédex, Manabu seemed to immediately understand Soudo and Shieldmillia were Dex Holders. In fact, he even called them such. This is important because usually PokéSpe characters don't know what a Pokédex is until seeing one. The fact he even knows the term "Pokédex Holder" means he has heard of the Pokédex before. Any theories on that?

lolipiece

Staff member
Marvin's not from Galar, so he's from one of the previous seven regions (or a future one, but I doubt it). As such, he probably could've heard of them from one of those regions.

He knew what a Pangoro was, which are native to Kalos and Alola. Alola is out because he knows what Gyms are. He also recognized a Zigzagoon, which is also available in Kalos. Plus, the Schoolboy Trainer class debuted in XY.

Maybe he'll make a cameo in the XY full volumes?

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Marvin's not from Galar, so he's from one of the previous seven regions (or a future one, but I doubt it). As such, he probably could've heard of them from one of those regions.

He knew what a Pangoro was, which are native to Kalos and Alola. Alola is out because he knows what Gyms are. He also recognized a Zigzagoon, which is also available in Kalos. Plus, the Schoolboy Trainer class debuted in XY.

Maybe he'll make a cameo in the XY full volumes?
Schoolboy debuted in Johto.

lolipiece

Staff member
Schoolboy debuted in Johto.

Incorrect. The Schoolboy you're thinking of is what's now known as the Schoolkid class (it was male only in Gen II, male and female afterward).

The Schoolboy class Marvin is part of has a completely different name in Japan.

By the pattern Grookey should be Stickun (スティックン).

This is indeed correct.

Last edited:

shoz999

Pokemon mass-migrate across the regions over time, months and years after whatever OG protagonist has finished their journey. It was seen in Kanto for Gen 2 which has a lot of Johto Pokemon, it was seen in BW2's Unova which had tons of previous gen-Pokemon and although not confirmed, Hoenn in both the remakes and manga has quite a number of trainers with Pokemon, generally cross-evolutions, that don't belong in the Hoenn region and tons of Pokemon up to Gen 6 on the smaller islands surrounding Hoenn which Ruby & Sapphire visited at a much younger age.

With that being said, although Kalos is a likely contender, there is still a possibility that Marvin is also from the other regions.

e9310103838

I don't know how they are going to end B2W2 in only one or two chapters.

Maybe they will finish up it in the volume? (Four or so chapters) :confused:

Last edited:

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Supposedly next month we have one more chapter. A volume exclusive ending sounds likely.

Oh Lack-two, what was the point of Escavalier if you never use it? At least Whit-two used Accelgor once briefly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.