• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Arceus: God or god

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
He's A god as opposed to THE God. In religions with multiple deities, there is usually one god who made the Earth. Seeing as many of the other legendaries are considered to be divine, we can assume that the 'religion' of the Pokémon world is polytheistic.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I think the fact that Arcues was basically responsible for existence itself is enough of a reason to assume it's the pokémon universe's equivelent of 'god', and that's not even mentioning the fact that it‘s quite literally the strongest pokémon out there and also has the ability to gain any type available. If that and the fact that it has the ability to form deities with the power to bend time, space and even basic emotions doesn’t make it a god, what on earth will?

Clearly a nametag reading "My name is: GOD" is the only solution.

Last edited:

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
It's PokeGod, but not human God. Arceus created Pokemon, not humans, so he would only be considered PokeGod. It's like Zeus if he had a pet sheep goat thing.

MidnightStorm

He created other Pokemon and could be called a god, like in Greek mythology with multiple gods, I think Arceus is just one of many past and more 'god' Pokemon to come.

Arceus as the Jewish/Christian God? Of course not, its a simple Pokemon game. However the game designers intentions may have been to represent God, such as in The Chronicles of Narnia with the lion(I forgot his name!) representing God/Jesus but only as a symbol and not the actual One.

Vashperado_S

~+ Sound Trainer~+
If arceus was god, dont you think we wouldve heard about him/it in earlier seasons? I actually think that ho-oh would be considered more of a diety than arceus, not because of his strength, but because he has hardly ever been seen, in anime game or manga, and in the anime, ho-oh was seen on the very first episode, before it was supposedly even made... But to me, arceus doesnt have the right to be called 'god'... I think ho-oh and lugia, or maybe just ho-oh, will make a comeback later to end the show, if it ever does end...

Seriously, who really GIVES A? As long as Nintendo make the next gen with Typhlosion learning TM59, A Fire/Dragon type and a minigame where you kill Cynthia, it'll be alright on the night. Besides, Arcues is lame

Profesco

gone gently
Frozir said:
I don't see why legendaries in newer regions HAVE to be more powerful than those in the older regions. There isn't really a chain there, because Mew, being in the first gen, is arguably only second to Arceus, as it is the ancestor of pokemon, which mean that every pokemon that aren't directly created by Arceus is slowly evolved from Mew after millions of years.

There's also Deoxys, though it is a powerful alien virus, it does not seem to possess any world-changing power, yet it finds a space right at the end of the Hoenn dex, after the world-shaping Kyogre and Groundon. How would you explain that then?

If there has to be a reason for why Arceus is introduced, I'll have to say it can be because of the mere fact that sinnoh is the first Pokemon region that Arceus has ever created.

There is a power increase of natural-power Legendaries from gen to gen. It's better understood if the trios and pseudo-legends are separated from the big-name legends, the box-art Pokemon who drive each generation. The trios usually get a boost in status, or reputation. It parallels the true Legendaries' actual boosts in power, or hierarchy.

The birds reigned over the elemental powers of fire, ice, and lightning. Then, the dogs/cats (whichever you please) were on an equal footing (except for having come back from the dead via Ho-Oh). Then we get the Regis, ancient golems, like Grecian titans. Better status than the birds again. Then, the Sinnoh trio gave humans will, knowledge, and emotion. That's the most prestigious so far.

Considering there were no earth-shapers from Kanto (incidentally, a reason for the starters to be the namesakes/box art), Ho-Oh and Lugia naturally started at a higher esteem. They were the controllers/guardians of Pokemon/human wellbeing and the sea/waterflow, respectively. They protected the welfare of the world- kept it running right, if you will. Next came Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza, who actually formed the sea, earth, and sky, respectively. They reigned over nature. A huge jump in power. Then Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina came, embodying time, space, and the reverse dimension, respectively. We actually get into ruling over the very laws of physics themselves. Another step up.

Next, allow me to clear up the business of Mew. In speaking of Mew, the words 'origin of all Pokemon' may have been used, but that isn't the same as it is with Arceus. Mew is the ancestor of Pokemon, not the creator. That's why there's a sharp divide between Mew's 'firstness' and Arceus's 'firstness.' Also, strategically, Mew was included in the first gen as a 'secret' to boost interest in the franchise. Historically, Mew needed to be in the first gen in order to explain Mewtwo's backstory all the way. (By the way, I am fully committed to Mew's being the most powerful/prestigious legendary Pokemon of them all, so I don't mean to discredit it!)

Last, yes I can explain Deoxys. Like Mewtwo, Deoxys has a Legendary status unrelated to the world or nature. They are not world-shapers, they are so to speak, inorganic legendary Pokemon. (Yes, Deoxys is probably organically made, but you know what I mean.) As shown like the first gen, the hyper-powerful Legendary comes after the natural ones, ie: Mewtwo after Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Furthermore, Deoxys was something of a secret, like Mew. They always come after.

Typo

been a while
Who cares? It's spelled the same way.
*sigh* If only my grammer teacher used that logic....

Anywho, using a capital letter means it's a proper noun. I.E.

1. The word "city" is common. The word "New York" is proper.
2. The word "boy" is common. The word "Robert" is proper.
3. The word "god" is common, refering to many gods. The word "God" is proper, (in a sense) refering to one God.

I believe it is just A god. God (capitalized) would mean a single god. The concept of that could insult non-religious/different religion people, which could lead to sueing/suing/however-you-spell-it and such. god (not capitalized) would mean something like a heavenly being, but not "The Ultimate Thing" or whatever. I'm sure someone can explain this better..

Agreed 100%.

I'm going with god. Seems to make more sense, marketing wise.

Hey, maybe after a few more generations, we'll have a new tier. NU, UU, BL, OU, uber, and divine.
lol
yea i agree with "god"

and nintendo really never stated it was a god it just it was the creator but that basically is a god
Nintendo never stated it existed until just a year in the future.

In my opinion, I don't really give a crap about a pile of pixels that we call "Arceus", that I'll most likely never have. But referring to the subject, I would say neither, until further notice from Nintendo. We are only going on information from a title and an attack. We do not really know, so I'm not going to ponder over it.

~Typo

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
It's PokeGod, but not human God. Arceus created Pokemon, not humans, so he would only be considered PokeGod. It's like Zeus if he had a pet sheep goat thing.
That may be true, but then again Dialga/Palkia control Time/Space.

Well, being called, "God" would mean that's its name. Being called, "god" would just mean it is a god and nothing more.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
It is the Pokémon that created Sinnoh, not all of the Pokémon world.
Yeah, because the creation of time, space and emotion from absolutely nothing is completely exclusive to a single area of land.

I would say that Arceus is a "god." Judging by how the Pokemon mythology works and the gameplay, these legendaries are more like the Greek Gods. So Arceus would be like Zeus (since Arceus basically would be the creator of everything else, and the most powerful). Or you could relate Arceus to the Quilin (the Kirin, a Chinese mythology animal that is supposedly one of the most holy) in appearence, and the Pandu in mythology (Chinese mythology of a divine God. Fits Arceus the most to some people).

I hope Arceus is God because if he would be a god there will be more pokémon with such powers. I don't have anything against Arceus but I don't want a second multitype pokémon that can learn almost every tm.